The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: LaChance Publishing

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar

LaChance Publishing

Nothing on B&BC so far, so: Are they legit?

They posted a call for True Iraq stories in the Paying Markets forum.

Before I forward it to a friend currently on his second tour in Iraq, I want to make sure they're okay.

Thanks!

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Adding link.

http://www.lachancepublishing.com/

Their site indicates they were formed in 2006 and that they publish fiction and NF. However, it appears their concentration is on a series entitled, “The Voices of…”.

They pay up to $200.00 for a story submitted and accepted for one of the anthologies. I’d want a gander at the “Agreement” prior to submitting, although it appears they only provide it after a piece has been accepted and polished. Additionally, the terms and conditions are non-negotiable.

I’d still ask to see a copy of the “Agreement” before submitting. If they do accept his piece and then he goes about making their changes, etc., and then the “Agreement” is unacceptable, he’s wasted a great deal of time. Although he would have a story ready for a different publisher.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Thanks, brian. And apologies for forgetting to add the link.

I'll send it to him. It'll be something to distract him from people shooting through his HQ hallway (happened to him last year).

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    He's in my prayers.

Bit off topic, but I have a dear friend who is like a brother to me. He was the only American at my boarding school and we basically grew up together and have remained dear through the years. He's in the reserves and is being sent to Iraq in March. He's 51.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

I was thinking about submitting something for the "Voices of Autism" a while back, and I did a little research on LaChance. My local library had a copy of their "Voices of Alzheimer's" volume. I had to place a hold on it, beacause it was always checked out. When I eventually got to read it I enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps "enjoyed" is the wrong word. Many of the personal accounts re Alzheimers moved me to tears. Others were very inspirational.

I also exchanged a few e-mails with Richard Day Gore. He was very prompt and helpful with his replies. My autism piece never got submitted (for personal reasons), so I can't comment on contracts, agreements, or payments type of stuff.

"Voices of..." series by LaChance Publishing

I'm thinking of submitting an essay to this publishing company for one of their upcoming anthologies. Their website looks professional and I'm pretty sure I've heard of them before but I just want to be really sure they're for real. Anyone know ANYTHING about them?
    Sitting on Rooftops
    querying agents

The Movie Romance
    21,000 words

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    If you use the search function above to look for "LaChance" on this forum, or if you look for LaChance alphabetically in the thread titled "Sticky: INDEX TO AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, AND OTHERS" on this subforum, you'll probably find what you're looking for.

practical experience, FTW burgy61's Avatar
    I did some research on them and didn't find anything negative. It was started by a cancer survivor and the profits go to fund a charity. I submitted a story for their 'Voices of Caregivers' in February and am still waiting for a reply.
    Michael Burgenmeyer Sr.

May the whispering winds of the forest carry tranquility into your life.

www.myspace.com/burgywrites

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Last books were published in '10, which is also when FB activity stopped. Site went down earlier this year.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: