Which writers made their debut at an advanced age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you are. Your face carries your years, and a heavy burden they must be. *shakes head sadly*

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I think that this thread ought to become a sticky. Or, a list created of author, age and title/s, and then placed as a sticky.

In our youth-obsessed culture (which flies in the face of the major aging of the populations throughout most of the industrialised countries), this is very encouraging, supportive and necessary information.

Sticky...!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
George Dell wrote his first novel, The Earth Abideth (CBS mini-series, Seasons of Love) at age 37 but it wasn't published until he was 85. His second published novel, Dance Unto the Lord, written at age 70, was published after his death at age 91. Both published by Ohio State University Press, same as "And Ladies of the Club". Puma

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
A bit of quick research tells me he was 45 when The Hobbit was published.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am Padma Narayanaswamy an Indian writer . Nice to read such posts . I am a late starter .
I would like to be known as a writer. such posts makes me more optimistic
padma

Last edited:

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
Penelope Fitzgerald published her first book at 58, her first novel at 60, & won the Booker at 62.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, there Willow. Have you told your father yet? If so, what does he plan to do?

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
His birthday is at the end of February. I'm still taking notes from this thread... :)

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
L. M. Boston (Lucy Maria Boston), who wrote the Green Knowe series and a dozen other books for children and adults, wrote her first book in her 60s. She lived to be 98.
She also handstitched an elaborate patchwork quilt every year, even after her sight failed so that she needed assistance threading the needle.
-Barbara

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
To add...

there's a 93 year old writer who has just published her first novel in the UK. She's published by one of the big publishers too, and I'll get back with her name when my writing students finish with my 'Writer's News'. That's where I first read about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.