Not open for further replies.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
I second what nerdsRus said.
If people only posted their success stories, the rest of us would feel like we were the only ones struggling. If I didn't know how many people here got rejection after rejection before finally making it, I might have given up long ago. You don't do anyone a favor when you gloss over the nitty gritty.

Anyway, I look forward to your posts, whatever their content. I mean, of course I can't wait until I read about your first sale in G&A -- but that post will be all the more powerful because of all of these.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz,
Here's the deal. Based on a bunch of random data, good agents ask for stuff from roughly one out of 100-300 no-name quiries. They ask for full manuscripts from one out of about 4 partial submissions. They offer representation to about one out of 15 full manuscript submitters. Obviously your writing is very good, but that's not enough for any no name. If you must write, keep writing and pitching. You would be a serious sinner if you don't--light under a bushel and all that. If you write to publish, stop for a while and come back when you can't help it. Good luck. g.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't hang around in R&D anymore because I know there is only one thing to do and that is to keep doing it and keep trying to do it better.

BUT, just remember that you are trying to sell your 'artwork' and the people who are buying it are in BUSINESS. They may think you are good, they may think you have the potential to be good, but at the end of the day if they don't think they can make a decent buck/pound out of your work, they won't buy it. That's the bottom line.

I've got a pile of handwritten rejections a mile high (exaggeration) I've subbed picture books far and wide. So far no-one has said, "You need to do this .../ You need to make it shorter/snappier/longer" Nothing, nadda. What they do say is, 'this is ingenious/lovely/rambunctious but there ain't any dosh in it for us.'

Phooie, so where do I go from there?
Well, I keep subbing until I produce the manuscript that someone reads and says, "We can't afford NOT to publish this."
But also I am trying my hand at other things. I am sending off short fiction stories, non-fiction stories, mag articles, flash-fiction, you name it, if it takes my eye I'm giving it a shot. Maybe I'll get something published, maybe I won't, but as well as taking my mind off the stuff I really want to do, I think this track will help me improve my style, speed and broaden my horizons.

I just got round to thinking that having all your eggs in one diddy basket perhaps isn't that much of a good idea ...?

onetiredmama

My Mini Me
Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz,

Your post certainly does help those of us feeling so dejected we don't even have the spirit to post a rejected and dejected post!

Seriously. I've been so bummed out about my novel that I haven't even checked in at AW for a few months. 50 queries. 7 partial requests. All rejected. Not one request for a full, and no reason why, other than "Great concept, but I didn't fall in love with the voice as much as I hoped." In other words, your writing wasn't good enough. But I have no idea what the problem is.

For now, I'm setting it aside, and working on smaller projects. Today is the first time I've thought, Hey, maybe I will take another hard look at it in a few months, because of encouraging post from other Aw'ers. 300 queries? You rock.

So Pisarz, your post makes me feel a little less lonely today. Vent away. Please.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz, please don't stop the posts! It's only because of the collective grieving that goes on in this forum that I can even make myself query. (What can I say, rejection doesn't suit me.) I promise I'll share my misery in return. ;)

And, um, I've heard the longer you have to wait for your happy ending, the sweeter it is. Or something like that. What do I know, I'm not a writer or anything.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz, these threads are not just useful and necessary vents for the o.p. People also read the responses and take heart. When I read things like "300 queries", the stamina that must have taken in turn gives me stamina for what lies ahead. The mutual advice and support to be found is invaluable. Don't kick yourself for venting.

yes, exactly. please don't stop venting--that goes for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.