NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Boy, that's a fun question. Kinda like, "what's the number for 911?"

Seriously: That wordless, two-syllable grunt of negativity - how do y'all spell it? I tend to write it "unh-uh", but I admit it looks weird, and I've never actually included it in anything I sent out.

The only other possibility I can think of is "uh-uh", but that looks wrong to me. The two syllables aren't pronounced identically, so I don't want to spell them identically.

I suppose there's also "nuh-uh", but that's a different word entirely.

Thoughts?

Edit: Should I upload a sound file somewhere?

Last edited:

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Y'all are preternaturally quick! I just got finished editing my post and there are two replies already!

I am currently sitting with my writing group doing a group editing workshop, and the question came up. So I said I'd post the question and get back to the group with what came out of that. They were tickled that I had two suggestions from AW to share already.

So, yeah, my writing group says hi. HI!

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This is something of a non-issue, so if you're fretting about this in your WIP, I think you can breathe a sigh of relief. I knew exactly what you meant when you spelled it "Unh-uh." When spelling outloud a grunt, all that is required is that I understand what sort of grunt it was. :)

I never spell it Unh-uh, myself. I'm in the midwest, and I usually say "Nuh-uh" when I need that sort of grunt. "Unh-uh" has more of a, "Unh-uh, I know you didn't just say that to me, fool" connotation in my neck of the woods.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think all these phonetic grunts should be avoided, or at best used as little as possible.

I feel they invariably mean more to the writer than to the reader.

Last edited:

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
It depends on the character and what they're responding to. I've heard it and said it both ways. Though "unh-uh" makes me trip... I don't hear the "n" sound in that phrase, ever. Maybe it's written in there to capture that brief "catch" in someone's voice when they say it?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a partisan of "Uh-huh" (affirmative) and "Nuh-uh" (negative), just because those are pretty readily understandable by native speakers of US English.

"Uh-uh" always confuses me, because I have to figure out from the context whether it's meant to be affirmative or negative; I've seen people use it for both.

"Unh-uh" seems like a reasonably spelling of the negative, though. I knew what you meant right away.

Now, the closed-lipped version is harder to figure out how to spell. The assent is clearly "Mm-hmm", but the negation is...what? "Mm-mmm" looks like someone making the "yummy" noise.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
"Uh-uh" always confuses me, because I have to figure out from the context whether it's meant to be affirmative or negative; I've seen people use it for both.
Not sure how you need context. I can't think of how you'd say "Uh-uh" out loud to make it affirmative.

And I've never said "Nuh-uh." I've always said "Uh-uh."

Oh, and I forgot to add: "uh-oh" to my list above.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how you need context. I can't think of how you'd say "Uh-uh" out loud to make it affirmative.

I agree with you, and yet people use it that way. So I don't rely on my common sense about it.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I use "un-uh" when I have to. I've seen it written that way in countless books so I assume that's the common spelling. I take that usage as the negative of "uh-huh".

Status
Not open for further replies.