• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Frances Collin Agency

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her an e-query this morning. Within an hour, I got a "mailbox full" bounce message.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Their listing on AAR states:
Biography, Memoir, Historical fiction, History, LITERARY FICTION, NARRATIVE NONFICTON, Nature, Ecology, Science-fiction, Fantasy, Travel, World cultures, YOUNG ADULT
(Don't send . . .
NOT Christian literature
NOT Comix, Graphic novels
NOT Erotica
NOT Romance
NOT Religion, Spirituality, Inspiration
NOT Textbooks
NOT DRAMATIC WORKS)

Funny thing, is here on AAR they state they prefer email queries...to a full mailbox?

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
An update - even though my query email bounced back as non-deliverable to a full mailbox, I received an email reply to that query today from Sarah Yake. It's an "R", but no worries - I just wanted to make note of that reply to a formerly-bounced email query.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Sarah Yake on 5/29/10
Form R: 5/31/10

At least she's fast.

sarahfru

Chin up.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahrae.net
Write up in 2010 Jeff Herman's says Frances Collin (and Sarah Yake) prefer YA, literary fiction, memoir, narrative nonfiction, and travel narrative. No fees. Query with SASE or equery---no unsolicited ms. If they're in Jeff Herman they're legit.

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I sent my query yesterday and got a request today for the first 50 pages. Fast! And I'm glad to know they're legit.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Sarah on 9/13 and got a full request on 9/24.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
I queried them via email and got back a request for the full manuscript a few days later. I've got my fingers crossed. Sarah is an AAR member so I hope that they are on the up and up. I cannot think of a reason not to trust them.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Collin agency

I got a request for a full manuscript from Sarah Yates at Frances Collin agency. I emailed it to her a month ago. HOw long should I wait before offering to other agents?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a full manuscript from Sarah Yates at Frances Collin agency. I emailed it to her a month ago. HOw long should I wait before offering to other agents?
Was it an exclusive?

If yes, you have to wait the amount of time that she asked for the exclusive.

If no, you can query agents anytime.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Unless its an exclusive you shouldn't

This. If you go one at a time, you'll die of old age before you ever break through. It's a slow business at every stage of the process. Don't make it worse by sitting around and waiting.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Was it an exclusive?

Yes, this exactly. Don't try to deceive anyone, but people recognize that this is a slow business. If it takes five requests to get a firm offer and each request takes 3-4 months to evaluate, it's not realistic to expect writers to submit sequentially.

With the caveat that they are free to request whatever best suits their needs and work style and you should always respect their wishes.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

If she didn't request an exclusive, you can query other agents at any time.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. She said it not need be exclusive. Is a month or so unusual for an agent to wait after a full manuscript request?

THis is the query I used. I sent it to 6 agents and got a full from Ms. Yakes, so it seemed to work well.

Faith and belief are are common themes in the supernatural and horror genres: "You must have faith for the cross to work," or "You must believe in the magic." In The Unbeliever , a supernatural adventure/romance novel, it is the principle character's lack of belief that gives him the ability to battle dark forces and return long lost humanity to the victim of a 400 year old curse. This is my first novel, but my experience as a military physician enables me to bring the main character, a disabled Iraq war vet who is dealing with both physical disability and emotional trauma, to life.
I feel that this book will appeal to both male and female readers. Male readers will appreciate the realistic action and the military background of the hero. Female readers will respond to the strong romance that builds between the hero and heroine. Elena, the heroine, is a woman existing under the curse of the undead since the Sixteenth Century and in Max, the hero, she finds that she finally can have what she has been missing for centuries: the return of her humanity.

I am currently working with a Toronto Film Festival award winning scriptwriter on the film adaptation.
It is a complete manuscript at 113,000 words and is available for your immediate exclusive review.

Last edited:

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Was it an exclusive?

No, she said it did not have to be exclusive. She asked for, and I sent her, the full manuscript, which made me pretty happy. How much time is reasonable to wait before asking her how she likes it?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You can nudge her at 3 months if she hasn't responded. Just mention when you sent it and ask if she's had a chance to read it.

You can continue to query other agents and send any requested materials to them at any time.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Just a tip: don't open you're query with, "Dear Ms. Yates."

Yeah, fastest rejection I've ever netted.

Lyx

That's pretty flawed logic. I e-queried opening with "Dear Ms. Yates" and got a rather quick reply requesting a full! Two-three weeks in so far. Just a note.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
From my experience with Sarah, she will typically take about three months to respond to your full request. so sit back and relax.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Still, probably best to use the correct name.