Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] McCormick Literary (formerly McCormick & Williams)

jcosta

[Agency] McCormick Literary (formerly McCormick & Williams)

Does anyone have any personal experience with McCormick & Williams? I am querying PJ Mark, but I'd be interested to hear anything about the agency.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Adding link: www.mccormickwilliams.com

Looks pretty successful.

- Victoria

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    Very nice folks. An assistant read my partial and Amy Williams requested the full, before eventually passing, but they were class all the way. They also represent Pete Fromm, who lives my hometown.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

At the publishing party, whacking the piņata
    Amy Williams was quick and pleasant. I queried on 5/12/09, and she requested the full, rejected on 5/20/09 with a brief personal note.
    ~Bryn

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin chagchag's Avatar

Amy Williams

Did you mail in a query or email? I've mailed one in July then another in early September, but no response. Their site says either SASE or a return email. I opted for the latter. I even put my email in bold on the query's header...

PJ Mark requested 50 pgs from me in early Oct & I just read in Publishers Lunch that he's left McCormick & Williams:

PJ Mark, formerly an agent and international rights director at McCormick & Williams, will join Janklow & Nesbit Associates in January as an agent, to expand his list of award-winning young talent in fiction, nonfiction, and graphic novels.

Would love to hear opinions on how to proceed: Assume it was an R & forget it? Follow up with M&W? Wait & try to contact him at J&N? Frustrating...I'm also puzzled by this wording: "young talent." Does a youthful outlook count?

Me love books much
    Funny. Snail mailed them a query and 3 weeks later got an email rejection. In the subject of the email and in the body of the email, they got the title of my book wrong. Instead of the correct title, they used the title of a piece of commercial fiction that is currently out in the market.

Amy Williams is someone who's been following my WIP for a while now, based on reading some of its earlier iterations while I was still in my MFA program, and her enthusiasm is attractive to me. I know that I'm not at ALL interested in actively looking for agents while I'm still working on said WIP until it's Just Right, but I'm just curious as to what y'all think of this -- a friend and mentor of mine, who'd previously been represented by Williams, had nothing but terrible things to say about her -- business-wise, personality-wise, etc. -- and strongly advised me to not even bother sending her my completed manuscript when I'm finished (however long that will take). This seems like an awkward situation to me. Do any of you know of anyone who's been represented by her, and if so, did they have an equally poor experience?

Thanks for the input...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin BooksandGreenTea's Avatar

Amy Williams/Bridget McCarthy

Amy Williams' assistant requested my full ms on March 30th. I haven't heard back yet.

Does anybody know anything about her recent turn around times? Would it be rude to send a follow up e-mail?

Thanks

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BooksandGreenTea View Post
    Amy Williams' assistant requested my full ms on March 30th. I haven't heard back yet.

Does anybody know anything about her recent turn around times? Would it be rude to send a follow up e-mail?

Thanks
    I don't know what her response times are, but you should generally wait 4 months to follow-up on a full--unless their submission guidelines state otherwise. Good luck!
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin BooksandGreenTea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I don't know what her response times are, but you should generally wait 4 months to follow-up on a full--unless their submission guidelines state otherwise. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm also interested if anyone has had any experiences with Amy Williams. Any and all feedback much appreciated. Thanks!

[QUOTE=a friend and mentor of mine, who'd previously been represented by Williams, had nothing but terrible things to say about her -- business-wise, personality-wise, etc. -- and strongly advised me to not even bother sending her my completed manuscript when I'm finished .[/QUOTE]

This is nonsense, completely contrary to Amy Williams' reputation. She's known to have very high literary standards, and no doubt doesn't suffer fools. She doesn't represent me, but I'd bet she didn't set the record for the highest-ever first-novel advance by not knowing her business, and if my interaction with her at the Jackson Hole Writers Conference is any indication, she DEFINITELY doesn't lack for personality.
    Last edited by malco; 12-04-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo

She's got a great reputation and one of my professors said that, "her clients LOVE her."

She requested my full and I got a nice rejection in a couple of weeks. Her criticisms didn't resonate with any I'd gotten with anyone else -- whatever that means. Probably nothing. I would have loved to have her as an agent.

figuring it all out
    Has anyone here had experiences with anyone besides Amy Williams at this agency?

Update: Amy Williams has had my full for a week, and emailed to say she'd like to call me tomorrow... I think this is a good sign? Will keep y'all updated.

practical experience, FTW LadyLex's Avatar
    That's awesome, wei jun! A call is definitely exciting. **fingers crossed**
    LadyLex

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Good for you! Glad to hear you didn't take your friend's advice. Sounded more like sour grapes to me.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

So... as of tonight, I'm now represented by Amy Williams of McCormick & Williams! Much gratitude to those who offered advice.

Quote Originally Posted by wei jun View Post
    So... as of tonight, I'm now represented by Amy Williams of McCormick & Williams! Much gratitude to those who offered advice.
    Congratulations!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ruth/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Screaming into the wind...

practical experience, FTW Marika's Avatar
    I just got a full request from David McCormick for my lit fic. Now I'm hoping--they seem like a great agency.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Ms. Williams set out on her own in '15. Updating URL: http://mccormicklit.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: