Does Sodium Morphate actually exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strongbear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegoldilocksgame.com
I've seen the drug Sodium Morphate used several times on certain tv shows, particularly spy fiction like Alias. It's supposed to be able to slow the heart rate down so that it gives the appearance of death. However, I can barely find any proper articles or references to this on the internet, either on wikipedia or elsewhere. Everywhere I search, it leads me back to Alias or other fiction. I've noticed that it seems vaguely related to rat poison, but I can't be sure. I've also asked a friend studying medicine whether she has heard of this and she says she hasn't.

Has anyone else come across this drug before? And can anyone else verify whether Sodium Morphate actually exists? If so, perhaps you could provide a link to some articles.

Thanks

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Actually not, not as a sodium or morphine analog (tho writers are free to make science up.)
Ya could use tetrodotoxin to mimic death. Maybe eat some improperly prepared pufferfish.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I imagine it is like 555 phone numbers, a made up one to avoid copycats and law suits. It can't be a chemical name because morphine isn't an element.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Horseshoe is right. Sodium Morphate doesn't exist to my knowledge, but if you want to mimic death, go with pufferfish poison. The poison from fugu (the risky Japanese pufferfish delicacy) is very, very fatal. But in the exact right dosage, it can mimic death while keeping the victim alive. In some less-than-advanced, people like witch doctors have used this to mimic the creation of zombies, by poisoning someone so they appeared dead, were then buried, and then digging them up and the person reappeared, seemingly alive.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
As a research chemist of 25+ years experience in pharmaceutical research (and access to scientific databases that are not open to the general public) I can state with certainty that Sodium Morphate does not exist.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

kreativac

Registered
Reaction score
sodium morphat

Sodium Morphat was for a years favorite poison that mafia and CIA used during 50-is . Apple smell poison make you sleepy , you vomit and on the and -stroke . Some of victims were Lyndon Johnson , maybe Hover , M.Monroe, senator Estes Kefauver .... so prefect poison in that time !

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're talking Peabody's Improbable History here, don't forget Sodium Morphat is used to:

Consistently hit targets while shooting exclusively from the hip.

understand lowercase writing without punctuation

Return distant sniper fire through the front lens and out the rear lens through the other sniper's scope tube.

Put comma's before every "and," and (see?) apostrophe's in front of all final s's.

Blow off extremities (from the hip, of course) with handguns.

US3 TR33S IN PLAC3 OF TH3 L3TT3R B3TW33N D AND F.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sodium Morphat was for a years favorite poison that mafia and CIA used during 50-is . Apple smell poison make you sleepy , you vomit and on the and -stroke . Some of victims were Lyndon Johnson , maybe Hover , M.Monroe, senator Estes Kefauver .... so prefect poison in that time !

Your source for this information?

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're talking Peabody's Improbable History here, don't forget Sodium Morphat is used to:

Consistently hit targets while shooting exclusively from the hip.

understand lowercase writing without punctuation

Return distant sniper fire through the front lens and out the rear lens through the other sniper's scope tube.

Put comma's before every "and," and (see?) apostrophe's in front of all final s's.

Blow off extremities (from the hip, of course) with handguns.

US3 TR33S IN PLAC3 OF TH3 L3TT3R B3TW33N D AND F.

Isn't this the drug that allows you to fire your handgun fifty times without reloading, to fire a gun from each hand even though you are not ambidextrious, etc?

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
A controlled dose of Sodium Morphate once allowed me to drive a car on two wheels off the roof of a parking garage, and then leap out and catch hold of a helicoptor's landing skid while airborne. The drug helped me to kill the pilot with karate (don't feel bad; he was a member of the Russian Yakuza), and then dive from the crashing chopper into a penthouse swimming pool.

The beautiful young heiress lounging by the pool was suprised to see me DROP IN*, but after a couple of Appletinis, we became very good friends ;).

Thanks, Sodium Morphate!

* This is a pun. A sexy pun.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
And I've been turning it down because I'm on a low sodium diet.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You're all looking at the etymology wrong. Sheesh, dangle a conspiracy theory and people just snap it up. Poison? Really?

"Morphate" - from "morph", to transform.

Sodium Morphate is an experimental compound made to look like regular table salt that when ingested can allow the person doing the ingesting to alter their appearance at will. Usually this is done by a softening of the connective tissue that allows for tactile rearrangement of the features (basically, you just move stuff around with your fingers). However, those who have repeated exposure and a bit of skill have learned to hone their facial muscles to that all it takes is concentrating on a shape to change one's appearance. (note - guys, don't gawk at the pretty ladies while the compound is in your system. Super model head on your beer gut body... not pleasant.)

I think I may have just outlined a new WIP...

:D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Since this is Story Research forum and we're meant to be serious here, let's put this one to bed; it had rolled to a gentle stop in January last year anyway.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.