How long to spend on the revise/edit stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I just finished the rough draft of my book!! YIPPEE!!!! Now I've got the long road of revising/editing to deal with...

How long do you generally spend doing the rewrites for your books? Do you query agents at the same time or wait until it is completely ready to go before sending out letters?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
"As long as it takes."

I think this is like asking how long is a piece of string? Some people revise so heavily on the way that when they finish it's just in need of a once-over. Some people just write until they hit the end and have months ahead of them.

Make it the best you can. Then revise once more :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I was once given this advice:

'There is not one page in a thousand of all published works, that could not have been improved upon - so edit till the thought of even looking at it makes you sick. Put it away for a month, then edit again. Repeat as necessary. Then send it.'

Don't send it out till it's the absolute best you can make it. If it's not the best you can do, the agent / editor won't be seeing your full potential. And you don't want to get rejected, just because you stopped one edit away from it being great.

Personally I kind of edit as I go ( I reread what I did yesterday as a prelude to todays work, it works out any obvious kinks and gets me into the right mindset / world for writing), but still I go back after, again and again, so polish till it( or you) can't stand any more.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Edit until you'd rather suck lead out of a handgun than read the G.D. thing one more time. Then start editing your query letter.

:)

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I agree with those above, that it depends on your work style and the state of your draft. But, since it's common advice to new writers to revise over and over and OVER again, I want to put in some support for a quick, strategic single-pass revision. That is an option. Maybe it's not appropriate for you, maybe your book needs lots and lots of work. But maybe it doesn't. Maybe, if like IdiotsRUs and like me, you revise as you go along, it may be closer to ready than you think.

But still: don't query until you're satisfied that it's ready to print and go! Seriously, don't.

Try some good beta readers. Their feedback can help you decide where you are.

PS--I think your bicycle adventures are AWESOME.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Thanks Emily!! I've been revising as I go, so I think it's pretty close. I did change format of some things from the beginning of hte book to the end, so I'll need to change those things at the beginning, but I feel good about it overall. I just finished the rough draft of hte last few chapters, so I'll have to put in a lot of work on those, but the earlier parts should be good to go after I make those minor formatting changes.

Then I'll pass it on to someone to get some fresh eyes.

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Try to have some other projects on the go so you can leave this one off the boil without itching to get back to it. Then look back with fresh eyes and see all those ways of making it better that would have passed you by otherwise.

T.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
that's exactly what I'm planning - let it sit for a while and then go back. I do know there are some things I need to do, so I'm planning to do them now. I'll make a quick runthrough and clean up any obvious things, then let it sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.