• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Books Just Books / RJ Communications

AnneMarble

Someone in a newsgroup mentioned the site
www.booksjustbooks.com and was recommending it to people. (He wasn't associated with them. He just thought it looked better than the vile vanity sites he'd seen.)

I've never heard of it, despite their claims of "#1 Self-publishing site on the Internet" etc. Are they really a legitimate self-publishing service, or are they a vanity press in disguise? I noticed they were critical of various vanity presses -- but that doesn't mean a thing as vanity sites often present "anti-scam" information about other vanity publishers to keep authors from going to their competition.

I also couldn't see a contract. I have seen similar sites that had no contract and then insisted that having on contract was a better way to "protect" the author. :ha

James D Macdonald

Re: Books Just Books?

They look very much like a short-run printer with an unusual ad campaign.

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
BooksJustBooks is a printing consolidator, or "jobber" in the old parlance. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fairly reliable as it goes, but the prices will be slightly above median and (since one never knows exactly what printer will be doing the work) quality and shipping are highly variable and unpredictable.