AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Books Just Books / RJ Communications

AnneMarble

Books Just Books / RJ Communications

Someone in a newsgroup mentioned the site
    www.booksjustbooks.com and was recommending it to people. (He wasn't associated with them. He just thought it looked better than the vile vanity sites he'd seen.)

I've never heard of it, despite their claims of "#1 Self-publishing site on the Internet" etc. Are they really a legitimate self-publishing service, or are they a vanity press in disguise? I noticed they were critical of various vanity presses -- but that doesn't mean a thing as vanity sites often present "anti-scam" information about other vanity publishers to keep authors from going to their competition.

I also couldn't see a contract. I have seen similar sites that had no contract and then insisted that having on contract was a better way to "protect" the author. :ha

James D Macdonald

Re: Books Just Books?

They look very much like a short-run printer with an unusual ad campaign.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Books Just Books

Interesting setup. Hype is minimal and there're good bits of info tucked into the FAQs.

http://www.selfpublishing.com/faq.ph...al%20Questions
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
    BooksJustBooks is a printing consolidator, or "jobber" in the old parlance. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fairly reliable as it goes, but the prices will be slightly above median and (since one never knows exactly what printer will be doing the work) quality and shipping are highly variable and unpredictable.
    CEP
    blawg: Scrivener's Error (includes links to main site)
    Any legal comments in this message are general commentary only, and not legal advice
    for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments or any other published
    comments, by me or anyone else as anything other than general guidance.
    Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
    folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
    Of course it's "fine print" it's small and red.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating URL of parent, Self Publishing, Inc.: http://www.selfpublishing.com/home/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: