"I, Scab" an article from salon.com

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
This was written in anticipation of an impending writers strike back in May of 2001.

http://archive.salon.com/ent/feature/2001/05/02/wga_strike/?CP=YAH&DN=110

What do you guys think of it? (Here's an excerpt.)

I, scab

A nonunion Hollywood screenwriter answers all your questions about the looming writers strike.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Mark Sevi

May 2, 2001

Writers strikes aren't all bad. I'm a nonunion screenwriter who's written several low-budget scripts but never landed a huge studio deal. Yesterday my agent actually took time to chat with me. Then he told me to call back if I had more questions. Has he ever done that before? No. Is that an indication of how slow things are in Hollywood? You bet your ass.

Let's talk about you. How will the strike affect you?

Because I don't have a union card I can scab freely. (Attention all desperate producers: My e-mail address is at the end of this piece.) Although I emotionally support the Writers Guild of America and the membership, I feel no obligation to starve in solidarity with them. I get residuals on only one of my 14 films and I really think it's only because someone screwed up and put my name in the wrong computer database.

I tried to join the WGA, I really did. After I sold my first script in 1991 I called the union and said, "Here I am. Take my money." (Dues are $2,500 one time, plus 1 percent of your annual income for life! Unsurprisingly, the WGA has a huge strike fund to spread around.) At the time, WGA told me to go away because I had apparently done work for a "nonunion" shop, a low-rent B-movie production studio.

I hung my head in shame. And then I went out and wrote credited screenplays for another 13 films -- jobs that I could not have taken had I been a WGA member. There was a lot of work around that wouldn't have paid the union minimum. Then again, my last film, "Arachnid," was actually done by a Barcelona production company. Those Spanish boys could care less about the WGA. But they paid me more than guild minimum anyway.

I will join the union once I sell a script to a major studio. I will have to because by agreement the American studios can't hire nonunion writers. Until then, I'm hoping to make a killing by scabbing my limited talent to whatever producer will have me. Then I'll put all my ill-gotten gains into the NASDAQ just as it makes a resurgence, and live comfortably for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

krano

Registered
Reaction score
this is what craig mazin thinks (http://artfulwriter.com/?paged=2):

"Secondly, I’ve received a number of emails all posing variants of the following question.

'I’m not a member of the WGA yet, and I’m wondering how the strike affects me. Can I sell material to or work for signatory companies? Is there any rule preventing me from doing that?'

Here’s my answer to all of you who’ve asked.

I’m not telling you.

I’m not telling you because I’m basically here to try and help writers and empower writers, and while I love truth and accuracy, I’m not obligated to write down how-to manuals for scabbing.

So here’s the answer I’ll give instead.

Regardless of the rules, regulations, laws, court decisions and anything else prevailing either for or against you, if you sell material to or make writing deals with signatory companies while the WGA is on strike, then you’re an asshole.

You’re an asshole because you’re undercutting, you’re an asshole because you’re exploiting opportunities made possible by people who are trying to better everyone’s circumstances, and you’re an asshole because…well…

…I’ll go back to a synthetic a priori judgment. You just are.

Good enough for Kant, good enough for me."

on his blog, though, he hasn't said anything about non-signatory prod co's.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I think the studio heads are going to break the writers far faster than any scab can or will. They're all a bit too cheerful about how they won't be the ones losing their houses.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion during the strike companies that are involved in the strike or are struck against are so off limits that I don't know why anyone would even bother.

As for non-union companies. They're free game. I have no problem making a living with a company that has nothing to do with the strike, does not affect struck writers, and isn't even in the same realm as their problems.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Will the WGA let him join if he sells a big studio script in the future?

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Will the WGA let him join if he sells a big studio script in the future?

The position of the WGA is that it will not permit any non WGA member who scabs to join the Guild after the strike is over.

There is some question as to whether this is legally possible but it is really almost a secondary question.

The real issue has to do with a point of reality.

And that point of reality has to do with what it takes to write a feature or to work in as a professional television writer.

Now, after all the snickers die down (you know, because movies and TV are like, you know, so bad that, really, just about anybody could write them) -- then we actually have to get down to a point of reality.

And that point of reality is -- not only *can't* just about anybody write movies and TV, almost nobody can.

There's an idea that a lot of people have who, up until now, haven't been able to get their foot through the door, writing Hollywood features, that suddenly the studios are going to come knocking at their doors simply because the rest of us are on strike to write the next hundred million dollar feature.

They're living in a dream world.

You think a studio head is going to sit down and think, "Oh shoot, we need a rewrite on that sequel to The DaVinci Code -- no union writers available. Hey, I hear that non-union guy who wrote Arachnid is available. Quick, get him on the phone! Fly him in here!"

Right. That's just how it's going to play out.

NMS

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
But as a hypothetical scenario, what would happen?

Mr. Scab manages to pull a fantastic script out of his ass and Paramount are chomping at the bit to make it. Only problem is, he's been refused WGA membership for being Mr. Scab. Is that the end of it? Would the WGA be non-negotiable about such a thing?

Just curious.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'd make an excellent "countdown announcer" for the Arachnid corporation. I am English and my voice is therefore appropriate for evil.
Be warned, the first round auditions are tough, I got through the "What special skillset would YOU bring to an evil organization?" type questions OK but got rejected by "Simon" the recruiting officer because I couldn't say "You only live twice, Mister Bond!" with a suitably menacing clipped accent.

-Derek

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
There is some question as to whether this is legally possible but it is really almost a secondary question.
unless they get funding from the federal gov't any private organization or union can choose who they let in and who they keep out. so, of course it's legal.

But as a hyopthetical scenario, what would happen?

Mr. Scab manages to pull a fantastic script out of his ass and Paramount are chomping at the bit to make it. Only problem is, he's been refused WGA membership for being Mr. Scab. Is that the end of it? Would the WGA be non-negotiable about such a thing?

Just curious.
well, i'm not that curious because and only because we just don't know what the fallout and ramifications of the strike will have. the studios may or may not change their own rules to accommodate what they need to get things done if they have to.

have the soap operas his their wall yet? anyone know? you don't have to admit that you watch them, just say you read it somewhere. ;)

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
unless they get funding from the federal gov't any private organization or union can choose who they let in and who they keep out. so, of course it's legal.

well, i'm not that curious because and only because we just don't know what the fallout and ramifications of the strike will have. the studios may or may not change their own rules to accommodate what they need to get things done if they have to.

have the soap operas his their wall yet? anyone know? you don't have to admit that you watch them, just say you read it somewhere. ;)

What you are talking about above, in which a union is able to determine who is allowed in according to their own criteria without any outside interference, is known as a "closed shop" -- and it is illegal in this country.

There have been lawsuits about this in the past, and as I have heard it, the guild cannot prevent someone from writing for a signatory member -- which means that were I to write write a screenplay for a guild signatory, and they wanted to buy it, the guild would legal have to permit me to join.

They couldn't say to the company -- he scabbed, therefore he can't join, therefore you can't buy the script.

What ends up happening is that I join under what's known as "financial core" status -- a limited form of membership that requires me to pay a smaller membership dues, allows me the right to write for guild companies (or any other company, including non-guild companies), get guild insurance and pension, but doesn't allow to vote, become part of any guild committees, or enjoy certain other guild privileges).

It would also allow me to continue to work during strikes -- as certain unsavory financial core guild members are doing right now.

Do you think that the guild would have such a thing as fi-core if it was at all possible not to have them? They are legally mandated. We're stuck with them.

That's how it works. When they say, "we deny scabs membership" -- they're talking about "full membership" -- full voting membership -- because the guild cannot deny anyone who qualifies that minimal fi-core membership.

NMS

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to the guild not scabbing.

In their little qualifications it says you have to work for guild signatory companies in order to be eligable but at the same time you can't work for signatory companies without being a member, so how exactly does that work?

I mean the tv writing you have to have 4 episodes with signatory companies before you can join.

Please explain this to me, as I have never understood it.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Once you do a certain amount of work for a signatory, you become a "must join". You then have a certain amount of time to pay at least part of your dues, fill out the required paperwork etc. If you refuse to do this, you won't be allowed to accept any more work from a signatory. If the job is ongoing, you will be removed from your position if you don't join in the required time frame.

So, you get the job or the sale first. Then and only then do you worry about paying dues and fees. Before you get work (with a sig), you won't be allowed to join, except as an associate member. After you get work, you have to join.

It works pretty much the same way with SAG and DGA. When I worked in production, I did a lot of paperwork for new SAG members as well as DGA paperwork for myself and coworkers.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
When they say, "we deny scabs membership" -- they're talking about "full membership" -- full voting membership -- because the guild cannot deny anyone who qualifies that minimal fi-core membership
so they deny full membership and legally they're allowed to do that. just b/c someone cries, "foul!" and sues does not make it illegal. anyone can sue anyone. that doesn't mean they're right. it just means they're challenging a decision.

there are writer's who were blacklisted after the '88 strike and have never gotten back in the guild.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
so they deny full membership and legally they're allowed to do that. just b/c someone cries, "foul!" and sues does not make it illegal. anyone can sue anyone. that doesn't mean they're right. it just means they're challenging a decision.

there are writer's who were blacklisted after the '88 strike and have never gotten back in the guild.

Who?

NMS

Reaction score
I'd make an excellent "countdown announcer" for the Arachnid corporation. I am English and my voice is therefore appropriate for evil.

Sidetrack: If you, or indeed anyone else, is interested in an Evil Overlord instruction pamphlet, I have one to hand I can email those wishing to...well, be evil. And overlordly. I myself was going to take over the world but I am not a) English or b) male. And whoever heard of an Evil Scottish Overlady, huh? :rolleyes:

PM me for details.

/threadjack off.

As you were.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
A signatory is a company which has signed on to the Minimum Basic Agreement. All the major studios, TV networks, and associated production companies are signatories. They have to sign in order to have access to the premium talent pool of actors, writers, and directors.

The networks and studios also do business outside of the MBA, when they either don't need access to premium talent, or when they need a way around the MBA rules. There are also low budget and indie companies who never work under MBA rules.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i was going to take an adult education class on world domination, but i didn't have enough money to pay for the lab fee. apparently, weapons-grade plutonium is expensive. along with your english accent, it helps if you put 'dr.' in front of your name. too, if you can stick 'von' in there somewhere, so much the better. if your last name already happens to be 'ravenscroft' then you're ignoring your destiny if you *don't* command all you survey.

so, let me get this straight: you're allowed a certain amount of sales before you must join the WGA?

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, od, my idea was waaay off. i'll have to re-read this thread with that in mind.

Reaction score
i was going to take an adult education class on world domination, but i didn't have enough money to pay for the lab fee. apparently, weapons-grade plutonium is expensive. along with your english accent, it helps if you put 'dr.' in front of your name. too, if you can stick 'von' in there somewhere, so much the better. if your last name already happens to be 'ravenscroft' then you're ignoring your destiny if you *don't* command all you survey...

Dr Clock Von Work?

How...supremely evil...

evilpinky.jpg