Not open for further replies.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
Thanks Tri.. :D

Hehehehehe I'm all excited that I was the first poster in the new thread... Hurray for me!!! Now I better go off and write some so I have something to update come Friday. :D

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Yay, new thread! I've been missing a while, but back to work, and back in the game. I'll have things to report over the weekend.

I missed all the action, but read how great everyone's been doing over the last few weeks of 2007. Congratulations!

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of an update, but more of an observation:

How amazing is it to be given an editorial calendar by an ed. along with, "take your pick, these are the articles I have open?"

I'm in freelancer heaven :e2cat:

Last edited:

AtavisticEndevor

Registered
Reaction score
Sign me up, I'd love to join! Thanks for tellin' me about this, Jeanne! Right now, I'm working on one manuscript, of which I've completed 4776/120,000 words.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Oh goodie, I get to give the first real report!

This week I updated my blog with four, count em four pieces of humor, some of which were actually funny.

Offerings were: Man Shop! battle of the sexes meets hunting/gathering end
Cheers for Iowa: If your presidential candidate were a beverage....
Quantum Leap Year: The Multiuniverse understanding of New Years' Resolutions

In Defense of REMing was also in there, but I consider it an ugly duckling of a piece, more done for the practice of writing shorts than any comic epiphany on my part.

Helen: 62K plus major new reading and discussion on it's grande finale this week. Finished first chapter again.

Submissions this week: "Getting it" to Catholic Chicken Soup for the Soul
"Man Shop!" to CS Monitor.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
In this first week of 2008 I:

1. Continued Club 100 -- today is Day 208
2. Worked on Book 5 in the Alien Series, 28,875 words so far -- ~ 3,250 words written
3. Began a new WIP, the first book in a new science fiction series -- 4,735 words written so far
4. Line edited my fantasy novel, The Abstruse Quest (waves to LostGirl, who can't see it since their power is out due to a storm, UGH!), now just under 155,000 -- down about ~1,030 words

And...that's about it. A very slow week for me. I think I'm tired and need to regenerate a bit (per LG, who, as my crit partner, would probably know. LOL). The hubs and I are going to go to the movies tonight and I'm giving myself permission to not have to output any more until tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and productive first weekend of 2008!

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
Hurray I got my power back... *does a happy dance*
Great job everyone... and Welcome AE nice to have you aboard. You'll love it here everyone is so wonderful and supportive.

This week I:
1.) Line edited a ton (I don't keep track) on Abstruse Quest
2.) Attempted to keep current on Jeanne's fifth book in the Alien Series and the new science fiction book. (I've had internet problems and then power problems -- stupid weather -- so Jeanne got ahead.)
3.) On day 29 of Club 100
4.) And last but not least I've written 2,539 words on Prophecy's Child. (bows down to the glory that is Club 100.)

Last edited:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
  • Managed to snag 2 assignments from ed. calendar mentioned above.
  • Combined my pitch and their open feature piece for another assignment.
  • Invited by teen mag. ed. (different pub.) to "feel free" to pitch more article ideas.
Life is good!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sherry,

Nice to see you step up and be the first recognized. We don't have any furnisher in this place yet--just a bunch of broken liquor bottles on the floor. The last residents were slobaholics, but we'll make shiny and ours.

Oh, yeah, I'm counting four humor pieces, which is a nice tote. Damn I love your titles. Where do you come up with them? They just yank me right in. And I'm always glad to see Helen mentioned and worked on. I think I have a crush on her--maybe that's it, eh? I want to go sailing with her so she can lash me to the main mast in rough weather. Heck, who needs rough weather. Just lash me!

Overall, a very nice start for the new year.
:Sun::Sun::Sun:

Jeanne,

Gak. Five books, in a series, no less. If that's not enough, you have a new series started. Double gak. And a fantasy novel. Well, you certainly busted in the new year in fashion and output. I do believe you deserve a well earned rest, but something tells me you are on some kind of a phenomenal streak and it won't be long before you're at it again. Charge those batteries and don't feel quilty about it. You're truly an inspiration to all of us. Jeanne, what can I say other than 2008 is going to be a screamer for you. Nobody in their right mind has to predict this outcome.

Something else strikes me...you've had the courage and determination to write SF. I gave it up. I can only admire your damning the odds and accomplishing so much in this genre. You're going to be the next one to watch.

lostgirl,

To keep up with Jeanne, you have to be a miracle in your own right. No easy task, and editing is brutal, tedious work that requires pristine senses and a lot of writing and checking. And you managed to pull over 2,500 words on Prophecy's Child, even with down time attributed to the weather. Very nice start, and I admire the support system between you two, and all the others that belong to this mystic Club 100--gots to be a nice program.

Nancy,

Looks like you're on a freelancing roll here. You're selling yourself and your articles by the cartload. These sounds like some serious publications, and are going to end up being even more serious credits in your bio. Nothing like getting your name out in the slicks, that's for sure. It takes a lot time and trust to gain those editor's confidence, especially when they're telling you submit more ideas and articles. It can only mean you have a very good "in" at this place. Hammer, hammer, hammer.

Actavist

You're present, accounted for and all signed up. Okay, you've got over four grand toward a biggie. What's the title and genre? Spill the beans and let us know a bit about this project. We're watching, watching, watching....

Kudra,

Welcome back, you traveler of the world. Let us know about your exploits and progress. Three to you on credit, for showing up and throwing down a promissory note.

Tri--red-shifting

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
Tri,

Even supermen like you need to have a break once in awhile and 4000 words is still wonderful. Any number is better than 0. :D

Sherry,
*laughing* You have the best ideas.. My favorite was when I rep'd you enough to get my own thread for rep points. *snicker* You rock in my book. :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
It's Sunday and I've been working on 'Shiva's' then I decided to come here and I managed to do what Tri asked and stickie this thread!!!

For me...that's progress.

I'll have more to report later. I'll stop slacking now.:D

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I'm a little late in posting, but I've had a splendid week. I'm calling it my week of marketing.

I wrote and sent queries to five publications, wrote a lesson plan for a writer I'm helping out, and sent out 13 letters of introductions to editors I want to work with.

I've also been researching other ideas and connecting with editors. Got my first rejection of the year, but also three assignments.

Three deadlines this week, so I'll have plenty of words to report.

So far 2008 is looking grand. And there's so much energy in this thread. Everyone's doing fantastic. Let's keep it up, folks.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Ok.

I'm back.

Killing Gerhard in 'Deciding Factor' was the smart move. He was totally clogging up 'Shiva's Dance' and having him butt in on every scene crapped it out. Dead, I'v excised him and the story line is crisper and the character list less cluttered.

Even cutting out all except 168 words of chapter 5, I have still gone over 60 K on Shiva, and if truth be told, that has allowed me to work a tad on Book the Four.

I'm reporting on Book the Four over in Horror because Haggis is, after all, cute as a button on a 'Hello Kitty' blouse!

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
Oh wow! I was wondering where this had gone!

Hmmm, lessee, stuff I did.

I wrote LOTS. Of blog posts. 1000+ word ones though, partly on serial fiction, or rather, working up to serial fiction.

Writing on the Stage: Improvising for a Better Writing You
WotS: Blog Training
WotS: Flashing and Twittering
WotS: Coming to Terms with Serials

Then there was the site redesign.

500 words to the web serial

Oh, and I'm hosting the January Flash Fiction Carnival!

Long writing time then disappears for some weeks. Sigh.

I hope to get cranking on the serial, inbetween reviews and a few more writing articles, yadda.

AtavisticEndevor

Registered
Reaction score
Actavist

You're present, accounted for and all signed up. Okay, you've got over four grand toward a biggie. What's the title and genre? Spill the beans and let us know a bit about this project. We're watching, watching, watching....

The (working?)title is "Firestorm" would probably fit into the sci-fi/fantasy genre the best, it seems to have elements of both.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Atavistic...Cool and welcome to the Coolest thread in AW...these folks are great, really inspirational.

Okay. It's Friday and I'm itching to give my report....

Helen: Letting rest for the week, been busy on other projects. Not forgotten, am still reading material for research purposes and discussing her with editor in chief, aka husband.

Shorts Created: Waiting for Mensa to Call; A Less Sun fir My Son; Stand Up!; Translating Adultese: A Kid Primer; Dieting in Middle Girth, A Hobbit's Tale; Shoeless Joe and Blog Action; and Carb Neutral, A Dieter's Diary.

Shorts Submitted:
Waiting for Mensa to Call to CS Monitor
For a Slower Pace of Life, Try Fasting to Catholic Digest
Man Shop to Beaumont Enterprise --accepted

Also wrote 2K of a Short, As the Moon Wanes, a humorous Soap Opera about a teen with a problem and her family. Looks to be 4K when all is said and done.

Also: Freaky thing happened yesterday, for some reason, yesterday my blog went nuts and I had 83 visits and 114 hits, but only 5 comments, 3 of which were from the same guy, and one from me...was I a target of a spam search engine or something?

P.S. Oh, and I signed up to do stand up at the Erma Bombeck Conference. My audition is in SYW humor, I've Lost My Mind, Help Me Find it. aka Stand Up! And my son took over my blog today with his sports picks. Not Named Jeffy's Sport's Page Picks. Minor tweaking by Mom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.