And the first rejection of 2008 goes to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin Intrigue! *applause, applause*

This is a sort of a continuation to my full request threebie post. Final count out of the requests ended up being 1 out of 3 actually sold. Samhain ended up passing on my submission because they didn't feel it was a romance considering their recent move to publish romance from now on. But it did have romantic elements under the speculative heading which they said they publish. Strange.

Just now I received my manuscript back from Harlequin Intrigue (dated December 17th) with an accompanying letter from the Asst. Editor:

Thank you for the opportunity to consider your manuscript; however, it's not right for us. Your story needs massive reworking to clean up the plot, heighten suspense and make the heroine more involved with dramatic choices.

I wish you all the best in your writing career.
So I have to go through the manuscript again to see where I can spiffy up the work and then figure out what to do with said manuscript.

It kinda sucks that my manuscripts are coming back. I like the feeling when they're circulating out there and being considered (and even better when they're accepted!) and even though it's being considered by an agent (a new dream agent of mine), I'm nervous now that she may think the same thing.

Ack!

I guess all I can do is wait and rework. And write. And listen to soothing music.:)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, Rae. But hey...the publishing house put some time to make the rejection personal, which has got to say something at least.

MissLadyRae

Registered
Reaction score
That's true, Moon. Maybe that's why it doesn't sting as much as I dreaded. (That or I'm still on a delirious high from taking flu herbs). Either way, it'll help in rewrites...and consuming massive amounts of chocolate. :)

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Sorry to hear your bad news.

Maybe your focus should shift to finding an agent. The directories list oodles of them who do Romance. The agent would be able to get you in front of editors at houses that won't accept direct solicitations. If the story is good, it WILL find a home.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, LadyRae. But at least you have a positive attitude! Hope Dream Agent snatches it up. :)

MissLadyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys! :)

Windy, that's a good idea. I may put my focus on sending out to agents after I give the manuscript another once over to see where it needs to be tightened up. In the meantime while waiting, I'll sneak a few peaks at potentials.

MissLadyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Will do, Saundra! :)

I was hoping to, Pike lol. But I did noticed the letter was dated December 17, so technically I may still have a chance for a good clean start this year.

However, I will take the virtual chocolate covered mens. Hehe, thankie Sheryl.

Gerard Butler covered in chocolate = pure heaven

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Samhain ended up passing on my submission because they didn't feel it was a romance considering their recent move to publish romance from now on.

It is hard when they change what they want in mid-submission. I've had that happen to me, too. It kind of seems unfair but I guess it has to happen sometimes, and there will always be authors caught during the transition.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.