OP/ED PIECE SOLD

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
I decided not to post on my original thread, as, basically, I feel I've stated my opinion as best I can and really have nothing further to add.

However, for those interested, I thought I would let you know that the head of the editorial page of the AJC sent me an e-mail this afternoon stating that they plan to publish my piece later this week. This already being Wednesday, I can only imagine it will appear in one of the weekend editions. Sunday would be great, but I'll gladly accept that particular forum any day of the week. I'll get in touch with him tomorrow to get the specifics.

Thanks to everyone who took time to participate in the discussion. I found your comments quite enlightening.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Great news! You must feel good about getting your point out to such a wide audience.

I think you meant "accepted" rather than "sold" in your title, though?

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. "Accepted" probably is a more accurate term, although most major papers actually do buy op/ed pieces and send out a contract. Even if there is no money involved, I still "sold" them my idea, and that's really what it's all about. :)

And, yes, it does feel good to have my work read by a larger audience. My whole point in starting the thread wasn't to incite. As a writer, I feel it's my obligation to put words on the page whenever I experience something that actually moves me. I would be remiss if I were to simply remain quiet and accept whatever society throws at my feet.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
... most major papers actually do buy op/ed pieces and send out a contract.

I don't think this is accurate. But my brother (a newspaper editor at a paper that doesn't pay for op-eds) reminds me that I've only placed op-eds on behalf of clients who worked at non-profit organizations--he thinks some papers still do pay for op-eds written by individuals.

So much the better if you get some pay as well as an audience!

Last edited:

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a little fuzzy. I understand most op/ed pieces are written by organizations (and not all nonprofit) attempting to persuade the public onto their side for a specific cause or legislation. I know it's either the NYT or the Boston Globe that pays $450, which really surprised me when I read it.

Still, I didn't submit the piece looking to get paid, although since all the magazine pieces I've ever had published came with monetary compensation, I suppose I'm stuck on the verbage of "selling" my work.