• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sable Publishing

• Thread starter jmhcreativesolutions
  • Start date

jmhcreativesolutions

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up -- I looked around, but I can't find anything recent. (and, it's been awhile since I've been on here) Anway, does anyone have anything to say about Sable Publishing? I found them through writersmarket.com and, out of all the queries I sent that day, they were the only publisher who responded asking for a complete proposal . . . if . . . I paid a $35.00 reading fee first. Is this typical? It's the first time I've run across it, but I dont' want to automatically assume it's a bad thing. Help?

aka eraser

Any reading fee raises my hackles. I spent a bit of time at their site and they seem to be a three-author publisher right now.

I'd aim higher.

priceless1

Hmm

Jenn, I agree with Frank wholeheartedly. No one should charge a fee. We assume all the costs for our readers. I'd steer clear of anyone who wants your money upfront. Or money at all, for that matter.

SRHowen

I disagree

Or money at all, for that matter.

Some agents do charge for postage, ms copies etc as they happen. I know Victoria and I disagree here, but more and more agents are doing this.

Mine does. Anytime costs such as postage, ms copies, boxes etc go over ten bucks I get an invoice. It is itemized, no blanket fee for sending a ms and the costs are below what I would spend at Office Max or Staples for the same supplies etc. And many of the ms we've had requested he's hand carried to the editor.

No handling fees, or reading fees, or editing fees should be charged though.

And my agent is a good one. James can vouch for him.

Shawn

jmhcreativesolutions

Thank you!

This is excellent information -- thank you for validating my instincts on this one!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still there, still pushing their "fine art covers", still POD.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my.

Sable Publishing Chapter Contest

CHAPTER CONTEST On going monthly event

For Immediate Release: NOVEMBER, 2006

Thank you for contacting www.sablepublishing.com with your submission. We are overwhelmed with queries and unsolicited manuscripts due to the broad range of material we are interested in publishing as stated in our listing in the Writers Market and the Literary Marketplace and on our website. We would like to become more familiar with the material you are submitting to us but it is taking longer than we would like to get to each submission. So Publisher Ed Baron asked us to develop an editing program that would eliminate the ever growing piles. We developed a CHAPTER CONTEST and a special team of editors to look over one chapter of your submission and to give you a brief critique and get back to you within a month. If you would like to hear something from our editors within a month please enter our monthly CHAPTER CONTEST. There is no limit on the number of entries you can submit each month.

This will be an ongoing monthly event.

1. Submit one chapter of your unpublished novel or non-fiction book or a page of poetry or a sample short story.

2. Please embed your text in the body of the E-Mail you send to: [email protected].

3. Use separate E-Mails and submit as many different chapters as you wish.

4. An individual reading fee for each CHAPTER CONTEST submission of $10.00 is payable via Pay Pal BUY NOW button on http://www.sablepublishing.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A year later, they're still running their "contest". And still have only three authors.

chekzchevov

soup
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but it's been 5 years now..... and they still do the chapter contest thing. You can just submit to them regularly without payment, but by the looks of things, it sounds like they'd ask for a reader's fee regardless.

I came here to see if maybe anyone had some flattering things to say about them. Guess not.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Almost any changes would be more promising than no changes at all over a period that long. Whatever they're doing, it's not publishing as we understand it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since I seem to've missed noting it the last round ... going by Amazon, did publish a fourth author in '05, but that was their last book. No site activity since '10.