Help Me Name My Antags

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need help in naming two antags in a MS that I'm already submitting to agents.

Here's the deal. They are two shape shifters who, in their real form, look like a fat snake with two red beady eyes. They have the ability to take the shape of any living creature. I posted a clip of this in the children's SYW forum and a couple members thought their names were too 'transparent'. This is a Middle Grade Fantasy novel.

Here are their current names:

Totalskum--he's a male shifter. He's spinless and lets his wife boss him around.

Beasleaze--Totalskum's wife and partner in crime. Her name can't be feminine-sounding though, as the protags don't find out she's female until the end of the story. She's the most evil of the two of them, although Totalskum's no saint either.

Rep Points to all who respond--

Thanks in Advance,

ILS

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Stan and Mary.

That way, no one will suspect they're not normal until they turn into big snakes and eat your face.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think their names should have some sibilance - Sibil, Sydney, Hess, etc. or perhaps for their last name maybe something to do with the scientific term for snakes ie Ophidian (which is general) and then there are other orders specified depending on the type of snake like Boa, vipers, etc. You could even use partial names ie Serpen and Ophid - makes them sound very foreign but the names still have to do with snakes or perhaps play with the names and use them backwards or transposed - ie Oab or Kenas (this one also is sibilant).

Good luck with this.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Zoombie and kikazaru--

Thanks for your suggestions. Rep points have been given. Anyone else have a suggestion?

ILS

NightMaster

Registered
Reaction score
I think a name with a lot of S sounds has become somewhat of a cliche when it comes to naming serpents and snakes.

I like the name Totalskum, not sure about the other one. But as Zoombie says, why not give them normal names so the impact is greater when we're first introduced to them changing?

kellysarah

Registered
Reaction score
How about adding a few more letters in to the male one? Something like Totaalskum- it's less obvious but still putting across the point.

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi ILS,
I'm a fan of anagrams myself. Total Scum could be Luscamott or Musc Latot, Sleazy could be Zealsy. Okay, those aren't really that great, but anagrams can be a good way to get the sound of the name right without being too transparent. It always makes readers feel smart for figuring them out, and making readers feel smart is good for the author.

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
Zane and Bo Totolskuum

I agree that S's are overused with snakes.

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you have to call the character "Total Scum"?
For me, and this is my opinion, Totalskum is not a name. It's like an adjective. And I feel that even the kids who would read it would think it was weird the character being called that. Some might even find it lame.
It just doesn't feel right as a name.
You can show that he's a total scum by his actions no?
What about Spinescum? Or Mucsenips?
Just play with the letters and make a NEW name.