• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Robins Agency / Writer for Hire (Cris Robins)

gransport

Registered
Reaction score
The Robins Agency

I'm new to all this and have been searching for an agent. I made the mistake of contacting The Robbins Agency. Without even seeing my manuscript, Chris Robbins called me and to say she wanted to offer my idea to HBO. I didn't have to write the script or anything. She would take care of everything. I just collect the money. She will not charge any fees of any kind. I just have to keep her on retainer. This was certainly an original and amusing scam.

gransport

Registered
Reaction score
the part I liked

During our conversation I mentioned I had been doing research on the internet and was she the same Chris Robins that was in Arkansas. She said yes, by moving to St. Louis she could get to the airport easier for her trips to NY and LA.
I ask her for references and she said that she no longer gave them out, because people would bother her clients and then not sign with her. I ask to see a contract and she said she would send it, but needed an answer in 24 hours. I said, "24 hours after I get it?" She said, "no, 24 hours from now." I said, "NO!" She hung up.

gransport

Registered
Reaction score
it was fun

That was her second call to me-the first time she called, I told her it wasn't a good time. She talked forever actually about her luggage, SUV, and other agents that will try to rip me off and how they'll do it.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
gransport said:
I ask her for references and she said that she no longer gave them out, because people would bother her clients and then not sign with her. She hung up.

Here is a list of her clients straight from her site. I'm sure by googling, you could probably get an email address or two. I'm not defending her at all, but if you wanted to find someone who she represents, there are tons of options right there on the site. That is of course, if you never found this thread.

As an international literary agency, and IP Management firm, our clients are a diverse lot, from doctors of various disciplines, to lawyers, to housewives and blue collar workers. Besides needing a literary agent, they all have two things in common: one, they have talent, and two, they are the types of people we would invite for dinner. Some of the works we have available for sale include the following:
  • Timothy Ayers, Fooled Me Once
  • Walter Borotto, The 10th Caller
  • Mike Casserly, The Cookie Factory
  • Joe Chambers, Fractures
  • Lyn Christian, Peek-a-boo
  • Mark Cooper, For Innocent Blood
  • Carol Coronel, We Were Nobles
  • Thomas Cresap, Initiation: Teenage Android Detective
  • Christopher Dahl, A Forced Perspective
  • Robert Edwards, The Tides of Time
  • James Fraley, Dr. Taymora
  • Doug Hanks, The Badlands
  • Russell Henkel, Think Like a Wolf
  • Dr. Connie Hiers, Four Woodies and the Dragon's Eye
  • Robyn Hogan, Full Circle
  • Katherine Jones, 30 Degrees North
  • Katherine Jones, The Other Woman
  • Brien Kroeger, Time Flashes
  • Paul Ladipo, Forest of Fear
  • Herbert Lango, Crisis at Na'Diroc
  • Ed Lashley, Reborn
  • Joseph LePage, Workplace Wellness Handbook
  • Michael Mason, Da'Sheal
  • Richard Mikolitch, The Cannibal Cookbook
  • Richard Miller, Playing in the Traffic
  • Adron Ming, Twisted Legacy
  • Thomas Money, One Shot Of Murder
  • Curtis Myrick, Malek's Quest
  • Bisi Ojediran, Survival of the Beautiful
  • Walter Pavlo, Pavlo
  • Carol Phipps, The Collector Witch
  • Corey Potier, Birth of a Hunter
  • John Prieve, Bad Medicine
  • Dan Raciak, Thieves of Lives
  • Riley/Gill Team, The Adventures of Jessie and CD-ROM
  • Dawn Ross, The Third Dragon
  • Mark Russakoff, The Adventures at Zoo La Tibia Academy
  • Jacqueline Spotts, Maven's Journey
  • Edward Sutter, Magic Shop
  • Edward Sutter, Patient 13
  • Sharon Wichlidal, Death Lives On
None of these have sold, but I'm sure these people would say what kind of agent she was.

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Cris Robins Responds

I wrote Ms. Robins back to let her know that her submission was wholly inappropriate for Eggplant Literary Productions.

Her response boiled down to "I did so read the guidelines" and she told me that I shouldn't alienate agents, that it wasn't good for business.

I believe the emoticon I'm looking for is:

:Jaw:

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
roach said:
Her response boiled down to "was too" and she told me that I shouldn't alienate agents, that it wasn't good for business.
*roll eyes* By now, it shouldn't amaze me how bad most of these people are at what they're trying to do, and yet it does.

chrisldahl

Lawsuit against the Robins Agency

If you have any information regarding the fraudulent business practice of Cris Baker Robins and/or the Robins Agency please contact me.

Christopher Dahl, Esq.

[email protected]
206-233-2997

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
chrisldahl said:
If you have any information regarding the fraudulent business practice of Cris Baker Robins and/or the Robins Agency please contact me.

Christopher Dahl, Esq.

[email protected]
206-233-2997
Could you give us a little more information?

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Funny story about Cris Robins

I sent a query to The Robins Agency regarding my novel which is about getting scammed! When Cris called me to offer me representation at $3250 I said to her, "I guess you didn't actually read the material, because the main character in my book gets scammed and then goes after the people who scammed her. So why would you think that I would get scammed by you?"

She claimed that it was standard to charge money. She said either you pay or later. I told her I'd rather pay later. Then she had the nerve to say that's not how it works. I said that is the way it works and have a nice day.

Just wanted to share.
Lindsay

James M M Baldwin

Caught Somewhere in Time
Registered
Reaction score
The Robins Agency reply

I also recieved a very optimistic sounding e-mail from Syd Michaels, Submissions Manager at The Robbin Agency, but after checking out the availability of her clients on Amazon.com, I decided against following up.
Some of the clients she represents, do have books available, but are not the titles she represents or are available on a six week lead time from a print on demand publisher.
The Robins Agency
1001 Craig Road Suite # 260
St. Louis, MO 63146
Tel: [314]-569-9838
Fax: [314] 569-9424
e-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.robins-agency.com

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
roach said:
I wrote Ms. Robins back to let her know that her submission was wholly inappropriate for Eggplant Literary Productions.

Her response boiled down to "I did so read the guidelines" and she told me that I shouldn't alienate agents, that it wasn't good for business.
It would seem that Ms. Robins is research-challenged. I just recieved an email from her this morning and was dismayed at the lack of a professional query.

I quote from her email:
"Currently, we are accepting preliminary offers for consideration; feel free
to fax your offer to [314] 569-9424. We will review all offers and respond
within 48 hours.

Look, it's pretty simple. We have a book and you have a need. Here is one
example of the works we carry (if you don't like the net, then we can send
it snail mail). Write us, call us, or send us smoke signals. We just want
to fill your needs."

Huh? She's entertaining a bidding war? Look, I'm all for a sense of humor, but when one is representing an author, I think it prudent to put one's best foot forward and present a professional demeanor. Nowhere in her email did she include a word count, genre, author bio - basically everything we request on our submission guidelines was missing. She obviously went down a list of publishers and did a group email rather than tailoring her query to the publisher. Had she taken the time, she would have seen that we don't even accept that particular genre. Needless to say, I requested that she remove our name from her distribution list.

When I first read her email, I smelled a rat and got online to do some research. What popped up? The good old AW board with this thread. I've already emailed my thanks to Ann Crispin for starting this thread. What a blessed place this is.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Methinks the money flow is getting so thin that she has to submit manuscripts to make, gasp, sales! Too bad she's clueless and inept. ;)

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
And their predictable reply just came in...

Wow, and here we thought you'd have the good sense not to believe everything that is written on the net was true.

Guess we were wrong on two points.

Syd

My reply:
Virtually all the subsequent research I've done on this company has proven nothing to dissuade me from my previous opinions. Would you like me to include the rest of the links I've found? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

In going through my old files, Chris Robins is the same woman who queried me ages ago claiming to be a Pulitzer prize nominee. Again, my research and contact with a member of the Pulitzer board proved this woman to be delusional. I fear the company is of the same ilk. I pity the clients.

You needn't contact us again.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
priceless1 said:
Wow, and here we thought you'd have the good sense not to believe everything that is written on the net was true.

Guess we were wrong on two points.
Two points? How would that be two points?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
priceless1 said:
Huh? She's entertaining a bidding war?
What amazes me is that she's making anything resembling a submission.

BTW, I think Dave is right about the money flow. I heard recently from two clients who'd turned her down because of the huge "retainer" ($3,200) and subsequently got an offer to let them pay on an installment plan.

- Victoria

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
victoriastrauss said:
What amazes me is that she's making anything resembling a submission.

BTW, I think Dave is right about the money flow. I heard recently from two clients who'd turned her down because of the huge "retainer" ($3,200) and subsequently got an offer to let them pay on an installment plan.

- Victoria
That's the thing, Victoria, I called it a submission only because I understood that to be her intent. But in the world of queries and submissions, hers was way below par.

I have to admit to being extremely sensitive to scam artists because we've all seen the damage these people do. Not only do they steal money from the unsuspecting, but they cause writers to second guess their talents. It's heartbreaking to see, and I tend to go after these types like a rabid gopher. That's why I adore this site and Dave's P&E so much. People are offering their expertise in order to educate and prevent the continued success of those with less than benevolent intentions.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I can't believe this "lady" is still peddling her wares.

I dealt with her last spring. SAME thing .....same $3200 fee crap. She called me with a question , "What can I do for you?"

Then she bombards you with telephone calls very similar to telemarker's ..........and when you tell her no thanks, she gives you that old spiel about "do you believe everything on the net?"

Wait until she sends you fake emails .......for references. The letters are written by an alter ego named Victoria .....if my memory is correct. All the letters are written by her.

She's a sicko ..........a real mental case who should be locked up.