Status
Not open for further replies.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
Drive-by comments on posted sample:

Rain lashed against the window. A thick veil of mist covered my beloved hills. The depressing weather matched my mood.

...Why? "Lashing" and "beat against" say the same thing twice. The window is close and the hills are distant, making them two distinct objects, so I split the sentence. The "was" construction is usually a warning flag that a verb could be used in a more direct, stronger manner. Each to their own preferences.

I'd swap these sentences around. As soon as she talks we know she's broken her silence. So say this first.

Ditto, I'd swap these sentences too, so she watches the rain and doesn't absorb the sentence before she says, "What?"

I'd drop "There was no reply" which is a response to someone/something who isn't seen or is elsewhere, but your protag has already turned to look directly at Caitlin. I'd recast the above to: I turned to look at her, confused. "When did she say that?" Instead of replying, Caitlin continued to draw.

I'm not claiming I'm right, I'm just saying how I'd write it. You're the author, you get to decide. Enjoy. :)

-Derek

Cheers Derek. This is how I need the help. You have broken the sentance down and explained why. I am greatful for this. May not mean much to you, but helps me heaps.

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
:flag:Do I need to wave the flag? I hope not. Maybe you kind folk can help me learn this dialogue lesson.

Here is my sample.

Lashing rain beat aginst the window and a thick veil of mist covered my beloved hills. The weather was depressing and matched my mood.
"My mummy says I don't have to talk to you." Caitlin eventually broke her morning silence.
"What?" I continued to watch the rain without absorbing the sentance.
"MY mummy says I don't have to talk to you."
I turned to look at her, confused. "When did she say that?" There was no reply. Instead, Caitlin continued to draw.

Thing is ... one can't say much, looking at just a short snippet.
Optimal tagging is done within the context of a whole scene, not just in the four or five lines.

Y'see ... Dialog tagging is a vast country...
Let me just set a few toes on the shoreline ...

You got a couple three different ways to tag dialog.

--Tags can be a 'said'.
"You're a frog," the magician said.
'Said' is the basic black of dialog tagging. Goes anywhere and is nearly always 'just right'.
Avoid the adverbial tail, the Tom Swifty. But when adverb+said is the best and easiest way to slip in an exact emotion or action, use it. Six times in a ms? Seven?

-- Tags can be a 'saidism' -- questioned, added, opined and an infinite etc.
"You're a frog," the magician intoned.
A newbie must be told not to use these, because their tenth-grade teacher was in love with saidisms. We must break the chain before it overwhelms us all.
But 'saidisms' have their place. When it is vitally important how a thing was said, just use a saidism.
Consider the saidism to be medical use of cocaine. Forbidden generally and with good reason, cocaine is nonetheless the medicine of choice for eye surgery.

-- Tags can be an action.
"You're a frog." The magician waved his magic wand.
(Forgive me Fennel, that I call this a tag. I'm weak.)

a) When we set action next to dialog, the reader assumes the dialog is spoken either by the subject of the sentence or by the character closest to the dialog.
We try to make obvious what character is speaking.

b) Because dialog is inherently close-up, the 'tagging action' chosen by the novice writer is often 'close-up' too. This leads to a plethera of facial expressions, small-body movements and little pointless actions. Such dialog tends to be full of twitches and tics and walking over to look out the window and turning back.

It is better technique to save 'he smiled' or 'he lifted an eyebrow' or 'he sat down' for when we need these exact expressions. We do not want to waste the potentially powerful, 'he smiled', on random dialog tagging.

c) Tagging action is most interesting and useful when it serves a true purpose in the scene. Somebody walking over to look out the window does not advance the plot nor serve any story purpose. Drowning your assistant does.
"You're a frog." The magician held Maurice struggling under the water.
"He can't breathe, can he?" The frog clung to the edge of the bowl, interested.
"Not underwater." The magician let the boy up to snatch a quick lungful of air. "Not yet."
Ideally, you tag with action so interesting the reader is breathlessly (g) following both the dialog and the story action that's happening behind it.
Carefully adjusting the interest in these parallel advancements serves many authorial purposes.

d) Failing that kind of breathless story-advancing activity, one can use a lengthy 'stage-business' action that spans the whole conversatiion. This long, drawn-out stage business has the merit of avoiding stereotyped and over-used smiles, facial tics and twitches.

"You're a frog, you know." Ernie, the magician, opened a bottle of something that buzzed.
"The damp green skin gives it away."
"I didn't say you were a stupid frog." Ernie spilled a teaspoon of wingless flies onto the chopping board.
"What I want to know is why I woke up with a bad case of amphibian. That's not just your everyday flu."
"It's more your everyday fluke." Chop, chop, chop.
"You've been experimenting again, haven't you?"
"What makes you think that?" Ernie took a dozen small fly carcasses onto the point of the knife and upended them into the glass bowl. "Move a bit to the side, will you?"

-- Tags can be an internal -- that is, something the speaker thinks, feels, knows, experiences. When we insert an internal next to the line of dialog, we know it is spoken by the POV chharacter.
"You're a frog." The magician considered this problem.
"You're a frog." The magician was filled with consternation.
"You're a frog." The magician's head ached.
"You're a frog." The magician panicked.
"You're a frog." Purple light hit the magician right in the eyes.

-- Tags can be internal monologue -- the speaker talks to himself.
"You're a frog." Oh good, the magician thought.
"I'm a frog." This is a devil of a predicament for a private detective.

-- Tags can be by responsion -- that is, it's obvious because it's a response.
"What do you think?" George said.
"We have problems," the Magician said.
"What?"

"You're a frog."

And see the long example above with the flies, where half the dialog is tagged by responsion. You can go on for pages and pages without any written tags at all, using only responsion and 'voice'.

-- Tags can be by 'voice' -- that is, only one character sounds like that.
"Ye be a frog, lad."

-- 'Voice' is a special case of tagging by 'idiosyncracy' -- that is, only one character could possibly say this line because of facts contained within the dialog itself.
"And I'm an Albanian tree frog." Thus we know it is Sergei, because he is the only Albanian in the story.
"I'm a frog." came from under the bed. And thus we know it is Mary, who was last seen hiding under the bed.
"You're a frog." Far below, in the parking lot, the Swat team assembled. And we know this is Randolph, because Randolph is the one at the window with the AK-47. We tag here by the placement of the character in the room. This is also an example of tagging by an internal.

This is only a selection of the ways to tag dialog and the nuances thereof.
As I said, dialog is a big country.

My advice would be to pick a couple authors with spiffy writing style, (Dunnett, Trollope -- look at his responsion tagging,) buy paperbacks, and mark 50 pages of tags with a yellow highlighter. LOOK at what these folks do. They are the masters.

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Cheers Derek. This is how I need the help. You have broken the sentance down and explained why. I am greatful for this. May not mean much to you, but helps me heaps.

Blue is learning, and I thought her critique was nice and an attempt to be helpful. I would've corrected your spelling, too, if I'd been inclined to critique the piece. (Sentence. Grateful.)

For the record, I'd keep the "What?" and drop the other sentence entirely. But I'm a sparse writer.

ETA: I so want to read more about Ernie and the frog.

Last edited:

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Blue is learning, and I thought her critique was nice and an attempt to be helpful. I would've corrected your spelling, too, if I'd been inclined to critique the piece. (Sentence. Grateful.)

For the record, I'd keep the "What?" and drop the other sentence entirely. But I'm a sparse writer.

Thanks Deadly. Without appearing too picky (which I hope I have straightened things out with Blue) in the Critique thread, she posted (and I quote)

DON'T Check the piece for grammar and punctuation. It's a waste of time. Tell the author that he has several grammar problems, don't tell him where because he can point it out himself.

Which incidentally she did twice. Then said she thought the whole thing was a bit redundant.

Yep, know I am not too good with grammar and spelling (thank heavens for dictionaries) However Derek DID offer what I was looking for, apart other posters who helped.

I do thank you for raising this with me but hope it can be put to rest now.:)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
DON'T Check the piece for grammar and punctuation. It's a waste of time. Tell the author that he has several grammar problems, don't tell him where because he can point it out himself.

Which incidentally she did twice. Then said she thought the whole thing was a bit redundant.

Yep, know I am not too good with grammar and spelling (thank heavens for dictionaries) However Derek DID offer what I was looking for, apart other posters who helped.

I do thank you for raising this with me but hope it can be put to rest now.:)

Why exactly are you making such a big deal about it?:e2shrug: Other people would have done the same thing I did.

Bekah

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Deadly. Without appearing too picky (which I hope I have straightened things out with Blue) in the Critique thread, she posted (and I quote)

Blue posted the "Don't Check the piece for grammar and punctuation," tip more than two hours after she corrected the spelling in your piece and you jumped all over her. There's nothing contradictory about that. She just gathered that some people must not appreciate that sort of help.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Blue posted the "Don't Check the piece for grammar and punctuation," tip more than two hours after she corrected the spelling in your piece and you jumped all over her. There's nothing contradictory about that. She just gathered that some people must not appreciate that sort of help.

Yes, that's also because of that. It's a waste of time for the critters to crit such tedious material and because some people don't appreciate being nagged because of grammar errors, but that's life. This is why I type like this, and yet I'm used to it, so no one can nag you about the post.

Mum I didn't mean to attack you.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Gang, let's all take a step back. Take a deep breath. Hold it. Hold it. Hold it. Let it slowy. Slowly. Slowly.

I really am serious that the sniping needs to end. Okay?

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Gang, let's all take a step back. Take a deep breath. Hold it. Hold it. Hold it. Let it slowy. Slowly. Slowly.

I really am serious that the sniping needs to end. Okay?

Just to add on, I think people should also take a minute to understand if whether or not the person meant it as an insult. I bet you'd find a lot of situations where you *think* the person is attacking you and they're really not. Maybe they didn't write it in a way to not offend sensitive people, but wouldn't it be better to ask in PM how they meant it?

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Lashing rain beat aginst the window and a thick veil of mist covered my beloved hills. The weather was depressing and matched my mood.
"My mummy says I don't have to talk to you." Caitlin eventually broke her morning silence.
"What?" I continued to watch the rain without absorbing the sentance.
"MY mummy says I don't have to talk to you."
I turned to look at her, confused. "When did she say that?" There was no reply. Instead, Caitlin continued to draw.
The only thing I would change in the above would be placing the describing action before the first line of dialog. IOW~~
Caitlin eventually broke her silence. "My mummy says..."

This way the reader knows the first line of dialog doesn't come from the POV character but from someone else. You also avoid a dialog tag while still directing the reader as to whom is speaking.

This thread has moved on quite a bit, but I can't resist commenting on one detail.

I strongly agree with switching the order of that paragraph, but for an entirely different reason: Chronological order. The POV char should notice that Caitlin has begun to speak before understanding what Caitlin says.

It's important to maintain control over the time sequence of actions, not just in large scale, but also at the sentence and paragraph level.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This thread has moved on quite a bit, but I can't resist commenting on one detail.

I strongly agree with switching the order of that paragraph, but for an entirely different reason: Chronological order. The POV char should notice that Caitlin has begun to speak before understanding what Caitlin says.

It's important to maintain control over the time sequence of actions, not just in large scale, but also at the sentence and paragraph level.

Thanks Fennel. These are the typ of responses I am after.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
If you can tolerate it, here's an article I wrote on the subject...

Who Speaks? Pointers about Attribution in Dialogue
Victoria Grossack

In this month’s column I want to cover an aspect of dialogue: how you, as an author, let your readers know which of your characters is doing the speaking. You may consider this aspect trivial, unimportant, nit-picky, even dull. But understanding it and mastering it will contribute significantly to the smoothness and the readability of your work.

He said: The Most Common Approach
The most frequently used method for signaling the speaker to the reader is some variant of the phrase he said, or he asked, if the piece of dialogue happens to be a question. Here are a few examples:

He said, “I want to go home now.”

He said: “I want to go home now.”

“I want to go home now,” he said.

“I want to go home now,” said he.

The first and the third variants are used most commonly, but I have seen the second and the fourth frequently. Which should you use? Honestly, there is little difference between these alternatives. My recommendation is for you to consider which is clearest and least obtrusive to the reader. For example, if the speeches are long, and there are more than two characters in the conversation, you may prefer the first or second variant so that your reader knows immediately who is speaking. Another factor in your choice is the rhythm of your writing – you don’t want to stick with one form too long in a single passage; it becomes monotonous.

Modifiers for Said
The word “said” does not have to stand alone; as an author, you can often indicate how your characters are speaking. Perhaps they are speaking loudly or quietly; perhaps they are speaking hurriedly or slowly; perhaps they are speaking sweetly or nastily. This can be achieved quite easily by including the adverb next to the word said. Here are a few examples:

“You don’t love him,” Julie said nastily. “You just love his money.”

“No, I’m not going to eat the spinach,” the pimply-faced teenager said firmly.

“I hate you!” the girl said passionately.

These adverbs modify how the speaker makes his or her speech. Now, I have a prejudice against adverbs, because I believe they can encourage lazy writing, in which the author tells instead of shows. Nevertheless, many novels that I like are littered with adverbs used in just this manner, so perhaps my prejudice is unreasonable.

Alternatives to “Said”
Often you can eliminate the said plus the adverb by using a single word that combines both meanings. For example, perhaps instead of said nastily you could write hissed.

Besides – he said, she said – don’t you get tired of writing the word said over and over and over again? Aren’t there other words that will do? Of course there are! So, here are a few alternatives to enrich your writing experience:

Acknowledge, add, admit, affirm, allege, agree, announce, argue, articulate, ask, assert, aver, avow, bark, beg, bid, bluff, bluster, boast, brag, butt in, carp, challenge, chant, chime in, chirp, chorus, cite, claim, command, comment, communicate, concede, confess, confide, contest, continue, contradict, convey, correct, crab, declare, defend, deliver, demand, deny, disclose, divulge, duel, echo, emphasize, encourage, enquire, enunciate, exaggerate, exclaim, explain, expostulate, express, fence, fib, forward, gab, gripe, groan, grumble, grunt, guess, harangue, hiss, howl, imply, inquire, insist, instruct, interject, interrogate, interrupt, jeer, jest, joke, kid, lambaste, lecture, lie, lip, maintain, make known, mention, moan, mock, mumble, murmur, mutter, nag, object, offer, opine, orate, pant, parry, plead, point out, prattle, profess, predicate, pronounce, protest, purr, query, question, quip, quote, recite, refute, reiterate, rejoin, relate, remark, render, reply, report, respond, retort, reveal, scream, screech, shout, shriek, sing, snap, speak, stammer, state, stutter, suggest, swear, tattle, tell, thunder, urge, utter, verbalize, vocalize, voice, warn, warrant, wheeze, whisper, worry, yell, yowl

Now that I’ve given you some additional options, here are some caveats:

First, this list is by no means complete. There are plenty of other possibilities.

Second, not all of these alternatives have quite the same meaning, so you have to use them according to the situation.

Third, and perhaps most importantly – even though putting this list together was challenging and fun, and even though using the right alternative can be very effective – these alternatives should be used sparingly in your replacement of the word “said.” Why is this? Well, if you use them too frequently, they call attention to themselves. Here’s a piece of dialogue to illustrate my point:

“It’s late,” he announced.

“No, it’s not,” she protested.

“We have to leave now,” he insisted.

“No, we don’t,” she contradicted.

“If we don’t leave now, we won’t make it!” he exclaimed.

“You worry too much,” she complained.

“Only because I’m with you,” he grumbled.

There are many problems with this sample dialogue – the content is dull and the rhythm monotonous – and the dialogue is not being improved by the verbs being used to signal attribution. These verbs are, in my opinion, actually more interesting and more creative than the dialogue itself, thereby calling attention to themselves. Each one by itself might be considered acceptable, actually improving the conversation, but having so many is overdone – rather like an ice cream with too many flavors, or a room cluttered with too many knick knacks.

In contrast, the humble “said” calls less attention to itself. Even though it may feel tiresome to type the word “said” over and over, you, as the author, are generally far more aware of this word than are your readers.

Still, there are several other ways to approach this problem; let’s examine them.

No Attribution
It may be possible to skip attribution altogether. In short sections, especially when just two characters are present, you can do this without losing the reader. For example:

“It’s late,” he said.

“No, it’s not,” she protested.

“We have to leave now.”

It should be obvious to readers that the character speaking the third sentence above is again “he.” In this instance, this is “obvious” for at least two reasons. First, this is a conversation with only two characters, and so when she isn’t speaking, then he must be.

Second, it is also obvious from what is being said. He is maintaining that it is late, therefore the statement, “We have to leave now,” only makes sense he says it.

You can continue the conversation without attributions for a little while, relying on the reader to understand, from alternation and context, who is saying which piece of dialogue. However, this falls apart when more than two characters are speaking, and the reader can also become lost if it continues too long. Also, you don’t want your readers to be able to tell who’s speaking from context all the time, because this means that their conversations contain no surprises.

Note that other clues within a speech may indicate who is speaking. These include the manner of speech, such as a tendency to use bad grammar or long words or other peculiarities (such as talking about “My Precious” – generally uttered by Gollum/Sméagol of The Lord of the Rings); the perspective that the character has on the world; what the character’s chief concerns are (if a character in one of the Harry Potter books makes a panicky statement about schoolwork, well, then, the speaker is probably Hermione Granger). These last few bits are straying into the topic of what people say, so this will be saved for a future column.

Names
Names, especially used in a manner where one character is addressing another, can also tell you who is speaking – or at least, who will speak next. Here’s an example:

“Lucy, it’s late.”

“No, Ricky, it’s not.”

“We have to leave now, Lucy.”

“No, Ricky, we don’t.”

When the first character addresses Lucy, the reader assumes that the next character to speak will be Lucy. Then when Lucy replies, using the name Ricky, we assume that the next character to speak will be Ricky.

The technique of using names – although it seems to work fairly well in the example above, for I can hear the characters getting louder with each other as the conflict increases – this technique should be applied with care. First, people don’t use each other’s names that often while speaking, especially when just two of them are around. So dialogue employing this technique can sound unnatural.

Second, when there are more than two participants in the conversation, this approach does not always work. Lucy may always address her words to Ricky – but if Fred is around, does he interrupt? Again, you don’t want to rely too much on this method.

Conversational Beats
Another way to let the reader know who is speaking without resorting to direct attribution is to imply it by combining a character’s piece of dialogue with additional information about that character. This may sound complicated and confusing; it’s easier to show than to explain further. So here’s an example using conversational beats:

He glanced at his watch. “It’s late.”

“No, it’s not,” she protested, grabbing the decanter of sherry.

He rose to his feet. “We have to leave now.”

She poured herself another drink. “No, we don’t.”

The passage above contains only a single direct attribution, protested, but you had no difficulty determining which character was speaking, did you?

Using conversational beats is my favorite method of handling dialogue attribution. I like it because it gets away from having just talking heads, which can become dull for the reader. Injecting these conversational beats injects something more visual into a passage of dialogue (which would otherwise simply concentrate on the auditory sense for the reader). The conversational beats can also complement what the character is saying. The glancing at the watch and the rising to the feet are both acts of someone who wants to depart, while the woman’s actions emphasize the fact that she wants to stay and have another drink.

The conversational beats connect your story to the dialogue in many ways. You can use them to convey the character’s emotions or what the character is thinking:

“It’s late,” he said, glancing at his watch.

She raised an eyebrow. “No, it’s not.”

The raising of her eyebrow signals that she does not agree, that she perhaps doubts his interpretation of the hour, or that she simply does not believe him. Characters can have many physical responses that could demonstrate how they are feeling, such as slamming doors, stamping feet, wiping away tears, clearing throats, or twiddling their thumbs.

You can also integrate your conversation with the story’s action. Perhaps the conversational beats serve simply to move along an activity. Imagine that Stan and Stella are visiting the fair while having a conversation about another subject.

Stan handed two tickets to the man collecting them for the Ferris wheel. He opened the gate for her. “Ready to see the city from up on high?”

Stella scooted onto the hard plastic seat, and pulled in her legs as Stan climbed in after her. “I’m ready to listen to you tell me whether or not you know where the painting is.”

“Do you really want to talk about that now?” As they swung gently upwards, Stan gestured at the vista before them. “It’s too beautiful to waste words on an old painting. It wasn’t even very good.”

As their seat kept climbing higher – the ground had to be eight stories below them now – Stella experienced a wave of dizziness. What had possessed her to agree to meet this guy at the fair, when she suffered from vertigo? She clutched the bar that was holding them in, and willed herself to concentrate. “That painting may not have been very valuable – but my grandfather was the artist. So, you see, I need to find it.”

In the passage above, the conversational beats are moving along with the dialogue – sometimes directly related to what is being said, at other times not related to it at all. But the conversational beats, besides taking us to a different setting and a different activity, also let the readers know who is speaking. You could insert dialogue attributions in the passage above – it would not hurt – but it is not necessary.

Conclusion
For attribution, there is no single best method. I believe you should mix and match according to the needs of your story. As you become more conscious of this part of your writing, you will develop your own sense rhythm and your own artistic approach.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent examples everyone, saved for future reference.

Now I have a question!

A recent crit I recieved said (hee hee) I have an incredibly low number of assignment verbs for my dialogue, meaning "he said/she said/she yelled/etc."
He also said that overuse of the speech-then-action construct (derth of assignment verbs) makes it look forced and pointed out that in 29 pages I didn't use "said" ONCE to assign speech. His comment was; "That is sooo unusual that it pokes the reader in the eye. Seriously."

I read this and thought, huh, never realized that. I went back and read it but (no, not golden word syndrome, really!!!) I don't see anything abnormal about it, that's just how I write. But then again he also pointed out that it is no longer SOP to use 2 spaces between sentences and that was news to me! I did look it up, and now I feel really old... :cry:

I would appreciate any thoughts on this, is it really that horrible to not use said? :(

Thanks in advance everyone!

:Sun:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I would appreciate any thoughts on this, is it really that horrible to not use said? :(

I'd have to see the work in question to know for sure, but how do you handle beats?

Ex:

"Look at it this way," he said. "If we don't go in, we don't have to talk to her."

Also, are you mostly doing:

"Dialog." Action.
"Dialog." Action.

Or are you mixing it up:

"Dialog." Action.
Action. "Dialog."

I don't have many tags either, but I don't know how it would sound if I went a couple dozen pages with none.

Last edited:

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Um, yeah, examples do help, I should have thought of that! :eek: Here's a section (what he read, no changes made as of yet):

Dr. Cornell frowned. Lucy hoped it was just something he ate. Her hands were clasped tightly together in her lap.

“How is your close-up vision? Any improvement?”

Lucy hesitated. “I’m not really sure. I mean, it’s a little hard to tell.”

The frown morphed into a pursing of the lips. “The bubbles are still smoothing out. I don’t see any need to touch the eye today, but if they’re still there next week we may have to do an additional small procedure.”

She took the plunge. “There’s something else.” Dr. Cornell had rolled his chair around to make notes on her chart. Lucy was glad. It was easier talking to his back. “The spots of light have become something else. I can’t explain …” She wasn’t sure if he was even listening. “I keep seeing things right up against my face.”

“Sorry…?” His arm was still moving.

“I still can’t see very well in the area around me, but things keep appearing in my face, close up.” Lucy knew she was making no sense. Dr. Cornell swiveled his chair back around.

“What’s that?” One eyebrow was arched.

“Last week I was having trouble seeing within an arm’s length, and I had those spots I told you about. But now the spots are like a big mass of light right in front of my face,” Lucy put a hand up in front of her face, “and the other day it was a woman’s face.”

The eyebrow arched higher and his mouth opened a little. You’re a complete crackpot didn’t need to come out of his mouth. Lucy heard it loud and clear in his expression. “Never mind,” she mumbled, “I’m sure it’s just the air bubbles.”

And another, a little longer:

Jim came in after she was settled. They were usually the first ones in every morning. Their company let them choose their own schedule for the most part, and Lucy and Jim preferred to come in early so they could leave earlier. He stuck his head over the cube wall as usual to say good morning. And promptly exclaimed, “What is that?” (NOTE: she is sitting on a pillow, fell down the stairs in the previous section.)

Lucy looked up, even that motion causing a grimace of pain. “I’d show you but then you’d have to go home sick.”

By the time she’d finished her story, Jim was laughing so hard he was gasping for breath. Lucy couldn’t help but join in no matter how much it hurt.

“So, tell me why you really lost your footing?” He’d rolled his chair around the wall into her cube.

“Promise me you won’t laugh? Because if you do, I’ll start again and it’s way too painful.”

“I promise,” he replied, but Lucy knew he didn’t intend to keep it if he couldn’t help it.

She took a deep breath. “Okay. Ever since I had the surgery I’ve been seeing strange things. It started as flashes of light, then bigger blobs of light, I don’t know. And I think I see things out of the corner of my eye but there’s nothing there. That’s how I fell down the stairs.” Jim was looking at her funny. Great. Might as well finish it off. “And the other day I saw a woman’s face, as if she was standing inches from me. It freaked me out.”

Jim crossed his eyes and pursed his lips like a fish. “Did she look like this?”

Lucy smacked his arm. “See, I knew you’d make fun of me.” She sighed. “It really is bizarre. And that doesn’t count the dreams…..” She trailed off as a shift in her chair sent a spasm of pain down her leg.

Jim’s face went serious. “Okay, I believe you, but I think it’s just because your eyes haven’t healed completely.”

“Yeah, so explain the woman’s face.”

“You’re a nut job, but that’s an established fact so I didn’t think I had to mention it.”

“Thanks Jim. I was afraid to tell you because I thought you’d, well, you know.” The Tylenol was wearing off.

“Lucy, I’ve known you for ten years. So, unless you’ve been abducted by aliens and replaced, okay, something’s up and we’ll figure it out. Did you say anything to the doctor?”

She snorted. “Oh yeah. I think he’s going to have a security guard in the room with us next Monday.”

“Hmm, well, okay.” Jim leaned back to look down the hallway. Others were starting to drift in. “We’ll talk later, sweetie. If anyone overhears us the security guard will show up here first.” He stood up and started pushing his chair back around the wall. “Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. But you’ve convinced me that the surgery is definitely not in my future.”

Thanks again!!!!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think you've overcorrected a bit. If EVERY exchange is tagged with an action, it feels just as stilted as if NO exchanges are tagged with an action.

Go back and take out some of your least favorite action tags and replace them with "said".

You're really good at writing action tags, which is hard. But it's kind of a virtuoso thing, also, so you don't want to do it every single time.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Other than a couple places (for example, I'd changed "he replied" to just "he said" since it's obvious he's replying) I don't see a problem. You have a few redundant sentences but I had no trouble following your dialog.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
One of the worst used/inappropriate tags is 'ejaculated' as an expression of forceful/loud/urgent dialogue.

Unless the speaker has a penis for a mouth there's no need for it.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I think you've overcorrected a bit. If EVERY exchange is tagged with an action, it feels just as stilted as if NO exchanges are tagged with an action.

Go back and take out some of your least favorite action tags and replace them with "said".

You're really good at writing action tags, which is hard. But it's kind of a virtuoso thing, also, so you don't want to do it every single time.

Thanks for the tag compliment (hey, I'll take any I can get!!). I am planning some quality time with the first 10 chapters this weekend and I will reexamine my tags.

:e2chain: -> will work for action tags

Thanks again!

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Other than a couple places (for example, I'd changed "he replied" to just "he said" since it's obvious he's replying) I don't see a problem. You have a few redundant sentences but I had no trouble following your dialog.

Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. I hadn't noticed redundancy and I will definitely look for it.

Anyone ever think writing a novel is like juggling .... ?

:Sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.