AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891328 ... LastLast

Thread: L. Perkins Agency (Lori Perkins)

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another View Post
    This thread started on L. Perkins "not taking new ms." However, posts are quite dated. Another thread on Perkins (index to agents thread) also a bit dated:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258

Any more up to date info? Taking queries now? Responding in what amount of time?

Thanks.
    I have a query out to Lori Perkins -- sent in early November '06. Still no word.
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming December 2017, Aliens Abroad -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Forever Learning

Thanks for Updates

Thanks for updates.

Jeanne, your post sparks with spunk. Will check your blog.

Speaking of blogs, Lori Perkins has an excellent one (Agent in the Middle). Gives a good sense of her likes and personality, key stuff in fashioning a query, I believe. As well, she is clearly knowledgeable and experienced on how the burden of effective marketing falls on the author, somewhat contrary to discussion elsewhere on Cooler about marketing as mostly in the publisher’s court. See her Jan 17 07 ramble, "To market, to market …"

Another

She also recently posted on her blog that the agency is about six months behind on queries and the like.... JR requested a partial from me in September '06 and still no word, FWIW. I'm not holding my breath.

practical experience, FTW MicheleLee's Avatar
    She also makes it clear on her blog that her list is full enough that she doesn't "have" to take any new writers on. So you really, really have to be good to catch her eye.
    My Webpage
    Monster Librarian YA Editor

Coming soon~~>Wolf Heart-Where the wild things are...

Deepdale Acres Romances #1 & #2<~~Now Available

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Brenda's Avatar
    For those of you who have queries with her, be patient. I queried back in September 2006 and just received a request for a partial.

practical experience, FTW Just Me 2021's Avatar

Anyone dealt with Lori Perkins lately?

Hi Everyone,

I just got a request for a full manuscript from Lori Perkins and sent it off. Wondering if anyone has dealt with her lately or knows much about her? She sounds great, so I have high hopes, though it sounds like she takes a while to respond.

Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me 2021 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has dealt with her lately or knows much about her? She sounds great, so I have high hopes, though it sounds like she takes a while to respond.

Just Me
    She's totally legit, if that's what you want to know. I'm waiting for my partial rejection (after a five month wait) from Rappaport since she just blogged she rejected a bunch of partials.

If you snag Lori herself, you're money, baby.

(but might as well settle in for a long wait. have you visited her blog?
    http://agentinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

Everything is what it seems. Will Lavender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maprilynne View Post
    Hmm. That's really interesting since Folio was only formed four months ago. I wonder if things are not going well there.

Maprilynne
    I think they've been going for longer than four months. (But I'm not positive.)

Anyway, they seem to be doing fine. Laney Becker, their newest agent, just sold my book in a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by Maprilynne
    Hmm. That's really interesting since Folio was only formed four months ago. I wonder if things are not going well there.

Maprilynne
    I know Erin Cartwright-Neumenata (I can never spell her name without it right in front of me) went there from Avalon. I met her last year and she wanted me to send her the book I was writing, but then she went to folio and now doesn't rep romance. Just my luck. *le sigh*
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.” Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

practical experience, FTW Just Me 2021's Avatar
    Lori's the one who requested my full manuscript, but said that it would take her a while to read it because she is swamped. I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed!

I hope your partial wasn't one of the ones rejected! I know how THAT feels. (-:

What genre do you write in?

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    For those of you who have queries with her, be patient. I queried back in September 2006 and just received a request for a partial.
    That's very encouraging news, thanks for sharing!
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming December 2017, Aliens Abroad -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

practical experience, FTW Spiny Norman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    Same thing happened to me. The rejection showed up pretty fast, as only rejections can. Her assistant was nice, though, he said the book could do very well with the right agent. Pleasant of him to say so.

...still didn't mean it wasn't devastating and what not.

figuring it all out NCRomanceWriter's Avatar
    I guess this means they are looking for clients, or just this particular agent? This is from Jenny Rappaport's Blog. an agent with L. Perkins. I got it as a forward through one of my RWA groups:

Finally, I'd like to extend an open invitation to all the Golden Heart finalists out there that happen to read this blog... if you're nominated and haven't yet queried me, I'd love to see what you've got. I also want to congratulate the inspirational category finalists, but I'd like to remind them that I'm not the right type of agent to query for their work. So basically, Golden Heart people, shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk. No guarantees or anything, but I'm interested in seeing what your novels are like.
    Connie

Lori Perkins

I know Lori personally. I met her at San Diego Writer's Conference. She was excited about my work and asked me to send it to her--which I did.

After about a year of endless emails with no response she asked me to add 100 pages to the novel--that it was too short.

I spent six months adding about 100 pages. Again, endless emails with one final response . . . too busy.

I honestly don't know what happened here. She never read the material she requested. Maybe I'm the only one that this has happened to.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Shel

practical experience, FTW jkorzenko's Avatar
    Shel -- my gut reaction here would be the fact that she probably really enjoyed your writing but her current workload would prevent her from repping a writer that took six months to add 100 pages. In the world of rewrites, time is of the essence. This is not a criticism of your writing speed, just a reality check. I was asked by a major pub for revisions that were very extensive and given six weeks to complete them and resubmit. They didn't offer a contract, but it was a great writing experience. My entire life went on hold.

Agents will look for this ability in a writer because I think that what was asked of me is pretty darn common.

Just my .02 cents. FWIW.

J.

That makes sense. I also had another agent from Writer's House who wrote a two-page letter asking for revisions. I worked on it night and day and had it done in just over a month. Basically the same result.

I think what happens is agents get excited about the writing/book, but by the time they get back to the rewrite enthusiasm for the project has dwindled. Very difficult for them to get that back.

Thanks for the feedback.

Shel

practical experience, FTW jkorzenko's Avatar
    Shel --

I wouldn't sweat the R's. You have agents that are interested in your work. Even though it's a nay -- you obviously have what it takes. Query wide and query many. It's just a matter of time.

Best of luck.

J.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyday View Post
    I think what happens is agents get excited about the writing/book, but by the time they get back to the rewrite enthusiasm for the project has dwindled. Very difficult for them to get that back.
    I've had four suggestions for rewrites, and not one worked out. The only thing that got that old enthusiasm back was a contract from a publisher.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've got several agents looking at it now, but I've been here before.

Time will tell.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Astro's Avatar
    I recently got a delayed query response (nearly 7 months) from Jenny Rappaport's intern- request for partial. Not expecting anything soon though with their backlog.
    As for Russell Galen, he forwarded my query to Ann Behar and i got a response in about 4 hours requesting full (middle grade manuscript)
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I recently got a delayed query response (nearly 7 months) from Jenny Rappaport's intern- request for partial. Not expecting anything soon though with their backlog.
    As for Russell Galen, he forwarded my query to Ann Behar and i got a response in about 4 hours requesting full (middle grade manuscript)
    Fingers crossed.
    I have a snail mail query out to Jenny Rappaport - was her request by mail, email or phone?

Also, I had the same situation with Galen - Ann Behar requested a full same day and passed with a form email a week later. Hope you have better luck!!
    -Laura

practical experience, FTW Moon Daughter's Avatar
    Nienna, I wouldn't go by what time responses other people are getting. I'm sure not everyone gets a quick rejection/acceptance. So just wait out the standard time (about two months I believe) before you click away on the send button. Good luck though!!
    YA Paranormal 70k (still plugging away)
    YA Thriller 86,000 (trunked)

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Daughter View Post
    Nienna, I wouldn't go by what time responses other people are getting. I'm sure not everyone gets a quick rejection/acceptance. So just wait out the standard time (about two months I believe) before you click away on the send button. Good luck though!!
    Thanks. I'll do that.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Astro's Avatar
    Laura- Jenny Rappaport's request was via e-mail (from her intern's e-mail addy which was unknown to me until then) I nearly didn't open the e-mail. I thought it was spam as there was no mention of Jenny or the ms title in the subject line.
    Thanks for the luck on Ann Behar. I'm not counting too much on that one but there's always hope.

Just curious, why are there so many posts about Galen in the Perkins Agency thread? The two are not related.
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891328 ... LastLast