Scarlet Amaryllis in bloom

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17323637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1058

Thread: L. Perkins Agency (Lori Perkins)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi all,

I received a full request from Sandy Lu last November and didn't receive a rejection until a few weeks ago. I understand it has taken a while for her to reply to some of you, but I can assure you she is a very professional agent. My advice for those who are making themselves crazy with the waiting is to allow a little extra time. Her first reply asked me to give her 12 weeks, so I gave her four months. I then sent her a polite nudge and she replied asking for another month. I gave her two and sent a second nudge. There were no replies after this, so I waited a while longer, sending another nudge at the eight-month mark. It took some time, but she finally got back to me and I couldn't have been more grateful. Stick it out, guys. Happy writing!

Are there any agents out there that someone here can say great things about? Newbie minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_turtle View Post
    I queried him on October 16, 2014, at which time his bio suggested an average response time of 3 weeks (that seems to have since been removed). On Twitter he said that he ALWAYS responds to queries, that if he hasn't responded, it means he hasn't read it yet. Because of that, I sent a nudge after about 4 months. I still haven't heard anything back, and that was a month ago. Not super impressive, but there's always the chance my e-mails aren't getting to him for some reason, too.
    I queried Leon last night and he responded with a rejection THIS MORNING. Ugh. That can't be good.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsln View Post
    Are there any agents out there that someone here can say great things about? Newbie minds want to know!
    There are lots of really good agents out there. But it wouldn't help you if we gave you a list, as they might not be the right agents for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsln View Post
    I queried Leon last night and he responded with a rejection THIS MORNING. Ugh. That can't be good.
    It means he doesn't want to represent you, that's all. The speed just means you got your query in at a time when he was hammering through a lot of submissions.

Spend some time giving critiques in our Share Your Work room, and when you have fifty or more posts you'll be able to post some of your work, and your query, for critique so that you can know the problem isn't in your writing.

I just wanted to attest to Leon's absolute professionalism, passion, and how he goes out of his way to help writers. I got a full request for a manuscript in June that, after half a year later, I realize I should have betaed and put in the proverbial drawer for a few months. His rejection was amazingly sweet and constructive, suggested what I should do to revise the manuscript to make it the strongest it could be, and he was even willing to take time out of his day to answer my questions about plot points - he had clearly read deeply the work within only a month's time - very fast turnaround for a full - and saw to the heart of it. I took the past few months to add 30,000 words (it was originally 50,000, kill me!) and turn it into an adult fantasy as he suggested. He was more than happy to take a look at the revised manuscript, so fingers crossed! He also takes on really cool projects like Love Interest and seems to like quirky, creative fiction. I would suggest any speculative author to query him!

Perkins has some amazing agents, agreed. I'm wondering how independent the agents are, and how much control Perkins herself exercises these days.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by avnelson View Post
    I would suggest any speculative author to query him!
    I did, back in 2015. Got a partial request, sent it and never heard back from him.
    Historical romance : 2000 words.

figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    I just wanted to attest to Leon's absolute professionalism, passion, and how he goes out of his way to help writers. I got a full request for a manuscript in June that, after half a year later, I realize I should have betaed and put in the proverbial drawer for a few months. His rejection was amazingly sweet and constructive, suggested what I should do to revise the manuscript to make it the strongest it could be, and he was even willing to take time out of his day to answer my questions about plot points - he had clearly read deeply the work within only a month's time - very fast turnaround for a full - and saw to the heart of it. I took the past few months to add 30,000 words (it was originally 50,000, kill me!) and turn it into an adult fantasy as he suggested. He was more than happy to take a look at the revised manuscript, so fingers crossed! He also takes on really cool projects like Love Interest and seems to like quirky, creative fiction. I would suggest any speculative author to query him!
    Did you cold-query him or have a more personal link, if you don't mind answering?

I'm sorry Marian, that's happened to me at least a dozen times especially on partials, even on fulls. It's really disheartening to sent your baby out there and not hear back. Maybe you could nudge him? I would imagine it might have gotten lost. He's always gotten back to me, if that helps at all. Also congrats on your Samhain books, The Beast Prince looks delicious! I have a manuscript with them right now so fingers crossed. I love their covers.

Quote Originally Posted by TMeuretBooks View Post
    Did you cold-query him or have a more personal link, if you don't mind answering?
    Hi TMeuretBooks! I cold queried Leon but I think the key was using his MSWL and approaching it from that angle - I included Manuscript Wish List (MSWL) abbreviation in the subject query line and I've found that an overwhelming number of agents respond at much higher, faster rates if you are querying something on their MSWL and do like a line or two of personalization. That's how I've gotten all my full and partial requests for this manuscript, besides DVPit. As I know it, Leon responds to every query, so if you don't hear back, nudge! Best of luck!

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    I'm sorry Marian, that's happened to me at least a dozen times especially on partials, even on fulls. It's really disheartening to sent your baby out there and not hear back. Maybe you could nudge him? I would imagine it might have gotten lost.
    Unfortunately it's been a year and a half since I sent him the manuscript and received an acknowledgement. I don't know whether that would be considered too late to nudge. But the real issue for me is that, given a choice between an agent who responds to requested manuscripts (I'm working on an R&R for one) and an agent who needs nudging, I'd rather have the former.

He's always gotten back to me, if that helps at all. Also congrats on your Samhain books, The Beast Prince looks delicious! I have a manuscript with them right now so fingers crossed. I love their covers.
    Thanks very much! Samhain is closing, sadly, but I had a good experience with them, and have just finished the sequel to The Beast Prince.
    Last edited by Marian Perera; 02-21-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Historical romance : 2000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Perera View Post
    Unfortunately it's been a year and a half since I sent him the manuscript and received an acknowledgement. I don't know whether that would be considered too late to nudge. But the real issue for me is that, given a choice between an agent who responds to requested manuscripts (I'm working on an R&R for one) and an agent who needs nudging, I'd rather have the former.

Thanks very much! Samhain is closing, sadly, but I had a good experience with them, and have just finished the sequel to The Beast Prince.
    I've had agents not respond on partials and fulls, could never quite figure out why! Best of luck with the R&R, those are so exciting!

And I'm so sad about Samhain, I just learned they were closing. I love their books!

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Perera View Post
    I did, back in 2015. Got a partial request, sent it and never heard back from him.
    I queried him in June 2015, got a request for a full in January 2016, sent it in April 2016, haven't heard back as of May 2017.

Okay, that answers my question. No response on a query is fine: I count them as 'no' after five months. No response on a requested full is just sloppy.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

practical experience, FTW Dmbeucler's Avatar
    From Publisher's Marketplace/Lunch

"Rachel Brooks has joined Book Ends Literary as agent, moving her client list with her. Previously she was at the L. Perkins Agency."

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Leon Husock liked my Twitter pitch for Pitmad and after sending him the query he requested the full. However, I've read he's got sales in the sff category and my book is in a different genre. Does anybody know if he's sold books other than sff? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Leon Husock liked my Twitter pitch for Pitmad and after sending him the query he requested the full. However, I've read he's got sales in the sff category and my book is in a different genre. Does anybody know if he's sold books other than sff? Thanks.
    Daaang Pisco, you are getting all the requests lately! Congrats!

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    Congrats on all the requests, Pisco, sounds promising.

Be patient with Leon, he's professional, but he's got a pretty big backlog on full requests. When I got my own offer from an agent and notified him, he graciously--but automatically--bowed out because he knew he'd never get to reading my novel in time.

practical experience, FTW lianna williamson's Avatar
    I have a full with Leon, too. Requested 8/23.
    blogging the novel

Now that the Agency Agreement has been finalised I'm free to announce that I've signed with Leon Husock! I couldn't be happier with my choice. It's all been an exciting yet somewhat stressful two weeks (family stuff plus other agent offers to consider), but half-way though The Call with Leon I knew he was the agent for me: he completely 'got' my story and has great vision for my book and will rep my future YA work; he has a solid sub plan and a growing, good track record with sales. Importantly for me, Leon has a lovely, open personality and communication style that suits the way I like to work, and I can see our partnership working well Another huge factor in my decision: Leon doesn't rep adult fiction, but another agent at Lori Perkins will represent me for my adult romances should I wish. Great to have that option.

My stats:

Queried (Pitmad request): 09.13.17
    Full request: 09.14.17
    Nudged with offer of rep: 10.13.17
    Offered rep: 10.24.17

AW has been a huge support, as always. Thank you everybody who commented on my posts in the Ask the Agents forum. Off to pop them a note on my choice, then...a nice cuppa to cure my champagne head from last night!
    Last edited by Pisco Sour; 11-24-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: correction in stats

Well done, you

I write novels
    Awesome news! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much! I'm still pinching myself! And today I was, like, when is the next Pitmad again? I'll be retweeting, boosting the signal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Now that the Agency Agreement has been finalised I'm free to announce that I've signed with Leon Husock! I couldn't be happier with my choice. It's all been an exciting yet somewhat stressful two weeks (family stuff plus other agent offers to consider), but half-way though The Call with Leon I knew he was the agent for me: he completely 'got' my story and has great vision for my book and will rep my future YA work; he has a solid sub plan and a growing, good track record with sales. Importantly for me, Leon has a lovely, open personality and communication style that suits the way I like to work, and I can see our partnership working well Another huge factor in my decision: Leon doesn't rep adult fiction, but another agent at Lori Perkins will represent me for my adult romances should I wish. Great to have that option.

My stats:

Queried (Pitmad request): 09.13.17
    Full request: 09.14.17
    Nudged with offer of rep: 10.13.17
    Offered rep: 10.24.17

AW has been a huge support, as always. Thank you everybody who commented on my posts in the Ask the Agents forum. Off to pop them a note on my choice, then...a nice cuppa to cure my champagne head from last night!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Leon seems like a lovely person and excellent agent!

practical experience, FTW Laurasaurus's Avatar
    Congratulations! He always seems lovely on the twitters.
    Contemporary novel Northwest of Normal out now

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17323637383940414243 LastLast