• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

L. Perkins Agency (Lori Perkins)

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Scovil, Chichak, Galen
Dee Mura
Lori Perkins

Has anyone managed to get any sort of response from these in the last six months or so? I can't, even with two tries. And my collection of rejection letters will not be complete without hearing from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Lori Perkins/Amy Stout reply

Lori Perkins/Amy Stout take their time. I've queried them three times, on three projects. On one I got a pass after 2 months, on another a pass after 6 months, and on yet another, nothing after 14 months.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
I Feel Like An Idiot

I don't know why but I cannot figure out how to see the last post and all that good stuff. I give up....:flag: Somebody help me. I have to keep going off AW, come back on, go to forum and start all over. I've tried "next" "previous" and everything else. I even tried sticking my finger in a light socket. Still didn't work. Who say's I'm not a writer? Ha....

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
T42, can you explain a bit more? I'm unsure if you mean while browsing or while posting. That might make a difference.

Anyway, have you tried the refresh button on your browser? Most browser programs have one.

Now, if you're posting, then it depends upon what link you chose. If you use the Post Reply button at the bottom of the list of posts, then the posts will be shown far below the box for you to reply within and they'll be in reverse order if I recall correctly. If you use the fast quote button inside at the bottom of each post, then you'll see the previous posts above the box you write in.

If you're editing your own post, that's all you get to view.

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Hi Dave,
I can post with the post reply or the reply at the bottem and then it takes me to the last post but it seems like I have to do that to get to the last post. Duh!:)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Okay, I think I might know what's happening. This happened a few times to me, too. I'd click on the topic to go to the last page expecting to see a post with the name of the individual who was listed on the menu page. Instead, it drops me at a different page. In those instances, I've found that the page number I wanted will take me there by clicking on it. This topic isn't long enough yet for it to present an example, but the Neverending page sure does.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that if you hover your cursor over the link, it'll say that clicking will take you to the last unread post. That may be where the confusion lies.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Perkins Agency "Not Reading"

After five months and two queries I finally heard from the L. Perkins Agency. Their brief form letter says "the Perkins Agency is not currently reading for new clients."

That explains why hardly anyone has heard from them, I guess. Perhaps they should tell someone, though--such as WritersMarket.com, where their entry says "seeking new and established writers." Then they wouldn't receive so much mail and have to ignore it.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The problem they and other agencies and even publishers are facing is that they don't know about all the places where they're listed. Some of the sites listing agencies and publishers don't even make it obvious that it's some other business and not the agency's site. So, when asking for them to contact everyone, you're essentially asking them to do something they can't possibly accomplish.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Updated Information

That, and resources like the Writer's Market come out only once a year, so if the change occured after the cut date, they might not have gotten it in. All of the Wrtier's Digest market books also have a very early cut date for updates, and they come out in September of the previous year for the following year, which makes it kind of hard for publishers/agents/etc. to keep information truly current there. So, if you are looking at a 2005 Writer's Market, the information is probably only current as of May 2004.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Also, not every site makes it easy to contact the owner and give them updated information. And when you do track down an e-mail address there's the chance that either the address is bad, that no one is checking it any longer, or that your e-mail will be ignored.

I closed down Spellbound two years ago and it is still listed on various market and other writing related sites. Some have never responded to my notes that it is now a dead publication.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
It is true that you can't do anything about books published once a year. Writersmarket.com, however, is a very well-known and active location. They update entries when they get them. The entry for the L. Perkins site says it was changed on 11/15/2004. But you are right about how busy agents are, so I will let Writersmarket know myself.

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
After eight months, I got the same form letter. They could, perhaps, tell P&E, since probably most of us check there.

Or they could perhaps put it on their website. Is that too innovative? We don't want to waste our time any more than they want to waste theirs with us.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
WritersMarket.com

Vomaxx said:
It is true that you can't do anything about books published once a year. Writersmarket.com, however, is a very well-known and active location. They update entries when they get them. The entry for the L. Perkins site says it was changed on 11/15/2004. But you are right about how busy agents are, so I will let Writersmarket know myself.

I've noticed that Writer's Market is as likely to be wrong as right. I submitted a Science fiction juvenile to one agent who responded that she represents neither s.f. or juveniles. When I replied that her WM listing said she did, she remarked that she was unaware of that and promised to look into it.

I've had similar incidences with others. I've discovered that the best thing to do is call the agent (talk to the receptionist -- DON'T ask for the agent) to verify the information. Saves time and money all round.

Another (and perhaps more useful) resourse is PublishersMarketplace.com. It costs $15 per month to subscribe, but their New Deals page alone is worth it.

--Roger J Carlson
www.rogerjcarlson.com

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Query forwarded to associate

Hmmm. When I queried Lori a few months back, someone at her agency forwarded it to her associate, Amy Stout (who rejected the query).

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Paradox in Perkins

Someone answer me this question: If they're not reading anymore, why are they setup at the Writer's Conference in NYC on June 1st to interview authors (mind you it's only one minute, but still) about their books? I have them on my list to talk to and I don't want to waste my time if they won't read my work.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I can only hope that they have stopped reading now so they can work their way through all their backlog and start reading people they meet at the conference. :)

The interviews are ONE MINUTE long? If they have very many, I bet they get confused as to who wrote what.....

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
One minute???! That's ridiculous. What can they possibly tell about you in one minute? What are the odds they'll remember any of the people they see? I really hope the conference isn't charging for these sessions. If so, it's a total ripoff, and you shouldn't waste your money.

Even where the pitch sessions are longer, it's unlikely that anything will come of it beyond an invitation to submit--which you might achieve on your own just by querying, and which won't confer any special advantage, because your query and samples have to stand on their own merit. If the pitch session is free, you don't have anything to lose, but paid pitch sessions are a racket--they're there to earn money for the conference (and sometimes for the agents or editors, who are given a cut).

The AAR prohibits its members from participating in paid pitch sessions.

- Victoria

Elincoln

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Yes Victoria, One Mintue. But atleast it's free (the conference itself wasn't). Here's the info they gave on www.bookexpoamerica.com/writersconference for that particular session:

~~~
Pitch Slam Breakouts
Authors will have opportunities to make one-minute book proposal pitches to book industry agents and editors.
Agents include:

Simon Lipskar, Writers House; Ethan Ellenberg, Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency; Elizabeth Pomada, Larsen-Pomada Literary Agency;

~~~ Here's Lori Perkins AND Amy Stout, listening to our pitches ~~~

Lori Perkins, Lori Perkins Literary Agency; Amy Stout, Lori Perkins Literary Agency; Evan Marshall, Evan Marshall Literary Agency; Jennifer DeChiara, Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency; Stephen Fraser, Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency; Julia Lord, Julia Lord Literary Agency; Pam Brodowsky, International Literary Arts; Sheree Bykofsky, Sheree Bykofsky Literary Agency; Marcy Posner, Marcy Posner Literary Agency; Rita Rosenkranz, Rita Rosenkranz Literary Agency; Stephanie Kip Rostan, Levine Greenberg Literary Agency; Jim Cypher, Jim Cypher Literary Agency; Andrea Brown, Andrew Brown Literary Agency; Angela Rinaldi, Angela Rinaldi Literary Agency; Grace Freedson, Grace Freedson Literary Agency; Lisa Ekus, Lisa Ekus Literary;
Editors include:
Brenda Copeland, Senior Editor, Atria Books; Kim Meisner, Senior Editor, Harmony Books
Donya Dickerson, Editor, McGraw Hill; Meg Leder, Editor, Penguin; Michelle Howry, Editor, Perigree

~~~

Again, I hope I'm not wasting my time with Perkins. I have only two others who work with the Genre of my book.

- Elaine

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Well, I'm glad it's free, but I still think it's ridiculous and exploitive (of writers). I'm surprised at the agents for agreeing to participate.

One of the listed agents, Pam Brodowsky, is marginal, in my opinion.

- Victoria

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
Even where the pitch sessions are longer, it's unlikely that anything will come of it beyond an invitation to submit--which you might achieve on your own just by querying, and which won't confer any special advantage, because your query and samples have to stand on their own merit.
I've come across a few agencies that no longer accept unsolicited queries, but will accept a query if they've met you at a conference. Hopefully this won't become common practice.

As I cruise the world of agent web sites, I've been surprised by how much time some of them spend at conferences.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Vomaxx said:
I can only hope that they have stopped reading now so they can work their way through all their backlog and start reading people they meet at the conference.

First they stop taking submissions unless you query them first. Then they stop taking queries unless you are referred by another agent, who is also not taking queries. And then even that’s not good enough. They have to meet you first, although they never meet with writers they don’t represent. Finally, once you’ve done it all—you’ve somehow met the agent at a Bar Mitzvah, moved next door to her in New York, babysat her kids, married into her family—then she’s no longer reading.

Last edited:

Elincoln

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
victoriastrauss said:
Well, I'm glad it's free, but I still think it's ridiculous and exploitive (of writers).

I agree. They want us to spend the whole day sitting in on their lectures in order for us to get a chance to give in our proposals. To be honest, after all the writer's conferences I've been to, I say this forum has been the most informative. They should stop waisting our time, and our money.

-Elaine

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Julie Worth: How right you are. It's absurdly frustrating.

Here, for example, is a rejection I received in October from the Cherry Weiner agency: ".... I have had to institute a policy of not looking at any new work unless it comes to me from someone I personally know;" [instead of someone she knows impersonally, I guess] "The only other way to get me to look at your manuscript is by meeting with me at a conference. Unfortunately listening to me lecture is not enough...." [Ellipses in original. The lack of a comma after 'unfortunately' results in a rather dire implication about her lectures.] "I really need to have spent time on a one-on-one with you...."

Exciting as a one-on-one with Ms. Weiner might be, I have not rushed out to buy tickets to a conference. :)

Elincoln

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Vomaxx said:
Julie Worth: How right you are. It's absurdly frustrating.

Here, for example, is a rejection I received in October from the Cherry Weiner agency: ".... I have had to institute a policy of not looking at any new work unless it comes to me from someone I personally know;" [instead of someone she knows impersonally, I guess] "The only other way to get me to look at your manuscript is by meeting with me at a conference. Unfortunately listening to me lecture is not enough...." [Ellipses in original. The lack of a comma after 'unfortunately' results in a rather dire implication about her lectures.] "I really need to have spent time on a one-on-one with you...."

Exciting as a one-on-one with Ms. Weiner might be, I have not rushed out to buy tickets to a conference. :)

That's scary. On of my favorite authors went through the same thing. He had been rejected by an Agency, went to a conference and struck up a conversation with that very agent. She offered to represent him. When he heard that, he asked, "Why did you reject me two months ago?"

Her reply? "I didn't get to know you."

If that's what it takes to get represented, I think I'll try going to the Publishers first.

- Elaine