Sharpe

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
UKTV History (it's a channel) have been showing non-stop Sharpe the last few days.

I'd never seen any of them before, but now I have. And I've decided that they're really rather good.
In fact, I may even buy the boxset.

Has anyone else seen this modern-made, vintage-set swashbuckler?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Love this series! Been a while since I saw them though, but they were so much fun. I remember Pete Postlethwaite played a wonderfully nasty character in it, and even Elizabeth Hurley wasn't so bad!

And most importantly, Sean Bean is hot.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
LOVE IT. The History Channel here in Canada very often plays the whole series of them. My sister owns all the books and one week I had a marathon and read them all. In a row. Afterwards I didn't want to give them back because I would miss Richard. Sean Bean is awesome as Sharpe. He doesn't really look like the Sharpe from the books but Bernard Cornwell has said that Sean Bean was so good that now when he thinks about Sharpe he sees Sean Bean.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's a fine series, full of derring-do and a rugged lead who makes most other heroes look foppish by comparison.

Much preferred the books, tho'. They were deeper, with more solid subplots and less flimsy support characters. It's also rare for a set of prequels to equal or excel the success of an ongoing series (I think) but Cornwell managed this with Sharpe's adventures in India.

Death to the French!

-Derek

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I, unfortunately, stumbled across "Sharpe's Tiger" a couple of weeks ago. I just finished, "Sharpes's Trafalgar" last night. I wish BC had published larger volumes.

Funny, I would have pictured Sean Bean as more of a Hakeswell.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Love it also. I saw the first and bought the complete set - in VHS. (Come on; it was right before DVD became the must-buys.) I haven't been able to find the complete set in DVD yet, darn it, and already I've lost sound in one tape. Darn, darn, darn.

Keep bumping this thread. Sometimes it's noticed, I've noticed...

Dustry Joe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I REALLY like these books (and anybody else who does should check out the Flashman series as well)

But the one film I saw was a serious letdown. Bad casting, offhand acting, just a general lack of the toughassed,hardbitten element of the books. Sean Bean just isn't Sharpe. He's not big enough, dark enough, tough enough, smart enough.
Whoever casted Harper should be flogged.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
First caught a glimpse on PBS years ago and found myself in a late night marathon of 3 episodes. Read what books I could get from the library and enjoyed them, but not enough to own.

Finally caught up with some of the other movies over the years, but they bled together too much.

Are they planning (or have completed) additional films with SB?

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
UKTV History (it's a channel) have been showing non-stop Sharpe the last few days.

I'd never seen any of them before, but now I have. And I've decided that they're really rather good.
In fact, I may even buy the boxset.

Has anyone else seen this modern-made, vintage-set swashbuckler?

It's awesome. Great cast, tons of great actors before they were famous.

I really feel like more guys should love this series, it's got heroism, adventure, camaraderie, lots of battles, romance.

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
True.

How often do you get to see James Bond playing a complete bastard?

And I may be ignorant, but I think Hakeswill may be the late, great Pete Postlethwaite's best role.

He's amazing in everything, but he never got to play this rabid, brutal, smart, crazy bad guy anywhere else.

Last edited:

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Sean Bean is so dashing in Sharpe :)