KICKED OUT OF LIBRARY OVER PEDOPHELIA CONCERNS

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Today I went downtown to my library's central branch. I'm a frequent patron and have never encountered any disaggreable incident. Today, however, the security guard kicked me out of the children's department because I wasn't with a child, stating that the branch is concerned about pedophiles and has implemented a policy that no adult be allowed to sit and read in the children's department unless he is with a child.

Realizing that the guard was only doing his job, I immediately took the elevator upstairs to speak with the director. He was out of the office, as was the head librarian. I was thus resigned to speaking with the third chain of command. She listened as I expressed my discontent, basically stating that the library had its policy completely backwards. Rather than prohibiting adults without kids, they should prohibit kids without adults.

Not only am I a writer with very genuine intentions for being in that department, but I am also a county taxpayer directly funding the facility. More so, I am certain that my civil liberties afford me the right to sit wherever I choose in such a public building without regard to my race, sex, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or absence of a child on hand.

The lady with whom I spoke was very polite and understanding, even taking time to write down my concerns to pass along to her supervisors. She took my number and said someone would give me a call. There was no call on my voicemail upon my return home five hours later, however. I'm curious if I ever get the call.

She went on to assure me that they would look into the policy and see if any provisions can be made. Personally, the only provision I see is that parents be held more accountable for their own children. The library isn't a daycare. This isn't a private afterschool program. It's a public library. If they're that concerned over kids being kidnapped, perhaps they should hire an extra security guard to monitor that one section, rather than endorsing a policy of profiling and exclusion. Better yet, how about if parents actually stay with their children and assist them in picking out books and using the computer instead of dumping them to the care of the librarian while they run next door to Macy's.

I left, stopped at a restaurant for lunch and immediately penned an op/ed piece to submit to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. They will definitely get the scolding of their life.

Oh, by the way, while I was enjoying my stack of picture books, I was constantly distracted by two librarians standing at the desk gossiping louder than a busted manifold. I almost cleared my throat and asked them to lower their voices. Sheesh, I tell you. If they have nothing better to do than stand around griping about other employees, then surely they have time to keep an eye open for the likes of me.

Idiots!

Last edited:

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You've been discriminated against! Your civil rights have been violated! . . . I say, . . . I say, Call the A.C.L.U.! :D

Wait. You aren't an actual pedophile, are you? You don't have a criminal history, do you? . . . Well, unfortunately, then you are out of luck. :(

The A.C.L.U. would be embarrassed to be associated with a clean, upstanding citizen. Oh, well. The library, your tax dollars at work, or not. . . .

Last edited:

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
If they're that concerned over kids being kidnapped, perhaps they should hire an extra security guard to monitor that one section, rather than endorsing a policy of profiling and exclusion. Better yet, how about if parents actually stay with their children and assist them in picking out books and using the computer instead of dumping them to the care of the librarian while they run next door to Macy's.

It isn't a concern over kidnapping (though that would be terrible) it's, I presume a concern over the pedophiles staring at the kids. They go to places where kids are and stare at them, and they blog about it, too. It's very possible that your library had an incident with one of more of these people and implemented the policy to create a way to get rid of that person.

Our local mall has this jumping area, I don't know how to explain it, but they put the kids in big harnesses and the kids get to jump on things like big trampolines. They had pedophiles congregating there to watch the kids. They had to make a policy where all little girls had to wear shorts, no sundresses or little skirts.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely think the policy is wrong, and unfair, and should be changed, but at the same time I feel like it's not like the library was at fault for this, specifically.

When the made the policy, I'm sure they didn't sit down and consider every reason why someone should be in the children's section. They had to make policies that covered most situations. Having adults sitting around in the picture book section could be suspicious and, even as a writer, I don't think I would have considered those who write childrens' books when I wrote a policy.

I don't know if it's a parents job to check their kids in a place like the childrens' section of a public library. It's assumed to be safe. Saying that these parents are running out and shopping could be true, but probably isn't. Parents probably don't leave their kids alone there all the time, but I'm sure they'd like to feel safe doing so if they have to for a few minutes.

So, while I think you have a great point and should continue to ask the library about what could be done, you seem to be more angry about the fact that you had to leave then anything else. To me, sending an angry op/ed piece right now is overreacting. Wait to see if they do anything about the policy before blasting them for it.

Sometimes people make mistakes. Give them the chance to fix them...

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I'm an adult, and I check out books from the children's section to keep up on trends, and because some are actually quite interesting to adults.

Besides, don't they think that some adults might want to check out books for their kids?

Plus, you've got a good point about it being a public building that should allow access to everyone.

In addition, can you imagine the weird reactions you'd get if you asked to "borrow" someone else's child just so you can get into the children's section of the library? Ha! Now that would raise some concerns!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Our local library had an incident two years ago. A child was molested in the library washroom.

How can this stuff be monitored or controlled? When I was a kid we could walk to the local library at eight or nine years old. At what age is a child allowed to go to the library by themselves, for Pete's sake? The whole situation is so disturbing. Maybe they'll start screening ID's before entering a library. Sheesh. Maybe they'll start putting a chip in library cards so the security scanner will go beep beep if you don't have a valid card. Maybe we'll all have bar codes tatooed to our necks.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Adults without children are banned from NYC playgrounds, too. Although it does seem a little strange to ban adults from sections at the library.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Frankly pedophiles can 'stare' at fully closed kids in any public place. Is that a reason to quasi-criminalise glancing at unrelated children in a public building? That's idiotic. As a child I was actually approached by a child molester in a public library and I still think it's idiotic. Of course I was in the science non-fiction section in the general library area.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
As much as it sucks for you, I still think they have a valid point. I guess I'm saying I can certainly see the logic behind it. I can't get too angry at people trying to do a good thing, even if the outcome is considerably less than perfect.

bethany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Just to clarify, not because I'm the library police or anything, he said the policy was he couldn't sit and read in that section, not that he couldn't check out books for himself or his own children.

And I was explaining that it was probably not just a kidnapping fear since that was what he implied, but was never stated by the library personnel.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Today I went downtown to my library's central branch. I'm a frequent patron and have never encountered any disaggreable incident. Today, however, the security guard kicked me out of the children's department because I wasn't with a child, stating that the branch is concerned about pedophiles and has implemented a policy that no adult be allowed to sit and read in the children's department unless he is with a child.

Wait, is it the sitting and reading that is a problem? Or can you not go in the children's section at all?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Although I think the policy you've described ("no adults without kids in the children's room") is odd, the policy you suggest ("no kids without adults in the children's room") would be much worse, in my opinion.

But if they'd like you to read the children's books you select in an adult reading room, perhaps they could also provide you with a library cart or similar to make the schlepping easier?

I'm never been inspired to sit in the children's room and read, because there are no chairs sized appropriately for 5'9" me in there. But I've certainly browsed in the children's room and never got any static for it. I definitely think you did the right thing by registering your complaint about the policy.

bethany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I guess as a parent and a kidlit writer, I've been going over this in my mind since you posted it, and it seems like the library has to cater to their primary audience, which is kids.

Sure, people can stare at your kids any place you go, the grocery, the mall, any store, but in those places you are moving along, doing something, like putting food into your cart. If I were at the library letting my kids pick out books and some weirdo kept staring at them, I would leave. After a second time, I probably wouldn't come back.

So the library is trying to keep their major "customers" coming back. Maybe they didn't pick the best way to do it, and maybe it was very offensive to you as an innocent reader to be kicked out, but it does seem like they are trying to do a right thing, keeping the children's area a safe area.

I do remember taking a children's lit class in college and having to read, I think 50 picture books in different categories. I had to go to the library for those, and I do understand your frustration, wanting to browse the books.

varmint

Registered
Reaction score
next time go disguised as a filthy homeless guy. the guards will let you have the run of the place.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the library's concern but I don't think implementing that kind of policy is exactly the way to go. Maybe they need to have the security keep a better eye on that department and if someone is seen staring at the kids or acting creepy they need to be asked to leave but making a blanket policy does discriminate against some people. Especially if the policy is that adults without kids can't enter the kids area...if it's just that they can't sit and read, then I get it, but it's still not the best way to go about it.

What I don't agree with is that kids should be left alone in the library at all. Not for an hour, not for five minutes. The library staff are not babysitters. Parents are supposed to be responsible for their kids, they can't expect others to watch their kids. It's a parents job. I would never dream of dropping my kid off at the library and come back later and I live in a very small town...but we have creepy people too.

I've been to the library and seen the unattended kids. It's ridiculous. Running around, being loud and anyone could come up and talk to these kids. It's not safe...security guards or not.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, is it the sitting and reading that is a problem? Or can you not go in the children's section at all?

Adults are allowed to enter the section, retrieve books and then carry them to another section. One of the reasons I like to actually stay in that section is for convenience. Usually when I'm reading PBs, I get a big stack, as they're so fast to read, and running back and forth to the second- or third floor is a real hassle.

Also, the children's section has these cushioned body-contour chairs (how can I explain it) that sit low to the floor, allowing you to recline with your legs in a slightly bent angle. They're much more comfortable than the hard metal/plastic ones throughout the remainder of the building.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
next time go disguised as a filthy homeless guy. the guards will let you have the run of the place.

Interesting you should mention this. One of the reasons for the security guards is that Atlanta has a very big homeless population, and many of them do seek refuge in the library. Despite policy forbiding sleeping in the library, I often see the homeless slumped over catching some zzzzzzz's. Yet not one time in all the past four years since I've begun writing juvenile material have I seen a homeless person in the children's department. Maybe the branch has a policy that they are not even allowed to step foot past the two towering fake trees with the sign reading, "Welcome To The Enchanted Land Of Reading."

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
What I don't agree with is that kids should be left alone in the library at all. Not for an hour, not for five minutes. The library staff are not babysitters. Parents are supposed to be responsible for their kids, they can't expect others to watch their kids. It's a parents job. I would never dream of dropping my kid off at the library and come back later and I live in a very small town...but we have creepy people too.

I've been to the library and seen the unattended kids. It's ridiculous. Running around, being loud and anyone could come up and talk to these kids. It's not safe...security guards or not.

My point exactly. I don't feel it's the library's responsibility to monitor unattended kids, but if it does choose to do so, it actually needs to do so. As the policy now stands, it's almost as if they feel kids should be able to monitor themselves, which is completely ridiculous.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a parents job to check their kids in a place like the childrens' section of a public library. It's assumed to be safe. Saying that these parents are running out and shopping could be true, but probably isn't. Parents probably don't leave their kids alone there all the time, but I'm sure they'd like to feel safe doing so if they have to for a few minutes.

So, while I think you have a great point and should continue to ask the library about what could be done, you seem to be more angry about the fact that you had to leave then anything else. To me, sending an angry op/ed piece right now is overreacting. Wait to see if they do anything about the policy before blasting them for it.

Sometimes people make mistakes. Give them the chance to fix them...

I remember once sitting in B&N reading a stack of PB when another customer checked out my selection and said, "You must write for kids." I would expect a librarian to possess comparable deductive skills to that of the average person on the street, and in doing so perhaps ask me what the nature of my business is in that department before having security kick me out.

The situation could also be handled implicitly by simply observing the childless adult. Sure, if someone is sitting in that section with their book upside down, something obviously is wrong. On the other hand, if a person is observed reading a stack of books and even scribbling notes, it should be apparent that legitimate business is being pursued.

While it's true most parents do keep their kids with them, I cannot tell you how many times I have spent well over an hour in that department with nary a parent in sight. And, yes, sometimes they do return with an armload of shopping bags though rarely an armload of adult books.

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
I can see both sides of this. I am writing for YA so it is easier for me to check books out for research. But equally I wouldn't sit and read in the children's section - it is not meant for me. The policy does seem a bit heavy handed, but equally you can see where it comes from. And I'm not sure about the whole civil liberties angle, but I understand why others might be.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a librarian in a Southern town (much smaller than Atlanta) we are asked to keep a weather eye on adults in the children's section but in no way do we ever ask anyone to leave. I doubt our policy will ever be that strict. We do have tall stacks in that section that couldn't be monitored without mirrors and the movie section is also located there.

Unless there is a program running in that department, it is usually the quietest and the most empty department at any given time.

Unless this library has had a recent incident, it sounds like serious 'overkill' on their part. Our policy is that any person 8 years old or older can be in the library unaccompanied. (Yes, 8 years old.) Some parents do take advantage of this but usually not for long.

Frankly, if the child is well behaved, quiet, courteous, and unobtrusive they can stay all day. Parents must be aware that we will in no way be responsible for their safety and welfare. And if closing time comes and the child is still there, the parents will be picking up their child from the Sherff's Department. :)

I can't help but wonder if you would have even been approached if you were a woman.