• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Swampfox Literary / Swampfox Entertainment

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Swampfox Literary is an admittedly new agency that I found in Publishers Marketplace. It's run by brothers: Neil Burstein and Dennis Burstein.

Anybody have any further information about this agency or its founders?

Thanks.

Roger J. Carlson
www.rogerjcarlson.com

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
No...it simply means that you posted at close to 10 PM and reposted at 7 AM, and perhaps most people were offline. Have a little patience.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
No...it simply means that you posted at close to 10 PM and reposted at 7 AM, and perhaps most people were offline. Have a little patience.

Actually, I posted at 10 am March 5th and reposted a 8 am today. It was getting rather far down the second page, so I thought a repost would bring it back to the front.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Don't know a thing about 'em. But that isn't surprising. What have they sold? Are they members of AAR?

I don't know. That's the thing. I can't find ANY information about them outside their listing in PublishersMarketplace.com. I found their address and the fact that they are new. Oh, and there's this:

Leading Clients:

Bradley Warshauer "11th Hour" "The Oracle Project"
Mark S. Formby "Stuart County Personal"
Sheldon Roberts "The Journey"
Chris McClary "See Spot Ride"

Best known Projects:
"11th Hour" Bradley Warshauer

If it helps, the principles are Dennis Burstein and Neil Burstein. They claim to have "25 years experience in the entertainment industry encompassing the fields of publishing, film, television, music and intellectual property".

A Google search didn't find anything, but I thought perhaps someone might be familiar with them from a previous incarnation. You know how some of these scams (like ST Literary) change their names and go on scamming.

Thanks.

--Roger J. Carlson
www.rogerjcarlson.com

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I did some digging. The only one of those listed clients who has anything published is Bradley Warshauer--whose 2003 novel "11th Hour" was probably not sold by this agency, if indeed it's as new as it claims (the publisher, Pinnacle, accepts unagented submissions). Of the Bursteins, one is a music industry person (there's little similarity between the music industry and the publishing industry) and the other says he's an entertainment attorney, which may or may not qualify him to be a literary agent--he doesn't provide enough specifics to really judge. So I'd say the jury's out on this one.

- Victoria

RaptorBpW

Registered
Reaction score
I happened upon this thread while doing a Google search of my name. LOL. It's a fun way to keep up to date on my own progress, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm Bradley Warshauer. I've been represented by Neil Burstein over my entire career, thus far. I didn't submit my first novel to Pinnacle, to be honest. They requested it. Long story, and a pretty fun one. Anyway, soon after they received that submission I signed on with Neil. He handled the contract negotiations, and did an admirable job. He's currently shopping my second novel, which has received interest from several major publishers---meaning they are larger and more prestigious than Kensington.

So, basically, I'm vouching for Neil Burstein. Very professional---and very nice---person.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
RaptorBpW said:
So, basically, I'm vouching for Neil Burstein. Very professional---and very nice---person.
Thanks, Bradley. That's one voice, anyway. Let us know if he sells your next. The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

BTW, I hope you stick around. There are a lot of good forums here for writers of all stripes.

RaptorBpW

Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson said:
Thanks, Bradley. That's one voice, anyway. Let us know if he sells your next. The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

BTW, I hope you stick around. There are a lot of good forums here for writers of all stripes.

I plan on it. Great site.

As for Neil, he does have a good bit of experience with the publishing industry, primarily working with contracts as an entertainment attorney. And his contacts in the entertainment industry are enviable. Every year, Teen People Magazine does a piece entitled "20 Teens Who Will Change the World" and, via his contacts, Neil was able to get me included in the 2004 issue. He's sold non-fiction in the past, but I believe Swampfox is his way of expanding his base a little and trying to grow his literary/commercial fiction clientele.

I recommend him, and he's always ready to speak with new potential clients. He is rather selective---he didn't take me on until after he'd read and enjoyed my manuscript, even though Kensington was already interested. Though I suppose that's understandable, considering I was barely 16 at the time.

BTW---
You can check me out at www.bradleywarshauer.com and www.theoracleproject.blogspot.com ...