The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Changeling Press, LLC

veingloree

Changeling Press, LLC

They seem fine -- newish but check out well. Any goss.?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Changeling Press

Last edited by CaoPaux; 07-15-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Indeed, that much I knew
    BTW they seem fine, no negative press many happy authors--although they rejected my book
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory
    Indeed, that much I knew
    BTW they seem fine, no negative press many happy authors--although they rejected my book
    Heh. "They must be legit cuz they rejected me".

Dare I admit that perusing their site this morning woke me up quicker than my coffee did?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Changeling is at the spicier end of the erotic romance market.
    Emily Veinglory

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anyone had recent experience with Changeling?

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Hi, I'm also wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with this press? A friend of mine wants to sub.
    Thanks

Well, on the plus side they're still around from 2004-2005.

Negatives (for me only, Your Mileage May Vary): shorter works, not very strong sales during a spot check on Amazon, several stories had reviewer caveats of 'sexy, but not much story', and covers that range from okay to awful (bad CG rendered figures with too-smooth textures and constipated-looking faces.) The writing samples that I saw were adequate, and in keeping with the rest of what I'd noted: short, spicy, very trendy (the same aliens, weres, and vamps that show up in other e-rom presses), but not a lot of room for sweeping storytelling or plot beyond the sex.

If your friend writes stories in their 'style' I'd say go for it until you hear otherwise.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Thanks, Filigree.
    He's written 3 (or 4?) stories between 15 - 20k, which are mainly sex (MM and MF). I thought the one I read was pretty good when he asked me to Beta (MF) From what I gather they're like little glimpses, fantasies, situations where his characters do otherwise 'forbidden' or taboo acts (but not the icky ones, we're talking adultery).
    I'll pass on the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Well, on the plus side they're still around from 2004-2005.

Negatives (for me only, Your Mileage May Vary): shorter works, not very strong sales during a spot check on Amazon, several stories had reviewer caveats of 'sexy, but not much story', and covers that range from okay to awful (bad CG rendered figures with too-smooth textures and constipated-looking faces.) The writing samples that I saw were adequate, and in keeping with the rest of what I'd noted: short, spicy, very trendy (the same aliens, weres, and vamps that show up in other e-rom presses), but not a lot of room for sweeping storytelling or plot beyond the sex.

If your friend writes stories in their 'style' I'd say go for it until you hear otherwise.
    From a reader perspective, I agree with a number of your negatives. The prices seem kind of high for the length of the stories (I paid $3.99 for an 8,000 word story--which, kind of ironically, was much more "plotty" and worldbuilding than sex. Go figure) and the covers are really not appealing.

On the other hand, the writing itself was good and appeared well-edited (the first I credit to the writer, who I'm a fan of). Also, Changeling appears to have a quick turnaround, so once you're accepted you start seeing your books for sale--and getting royalty payments--fairly quickly. And that quick turnaround probably explains the cover art.

There are several other erotica publishers who take novella length work and may have better sales (Ellora's Cave comes to mind), which is something to consider, too.