• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BellaOnline / Mused Literary Review

• Thread starter cluelessspicycinnamon
  • Start date

cluelessspicycinnamon

What does everyone know about Bella Online? Is it legit? I'm interested in maybe writing for a section there, but I want to learn more about it. I understand it's just a basic content website, but does anyone have any experience with it?

Greenwolf103

Re: Bella Online

I am only subscribed to them.

They have writer's guidelines on their site. I haven't worked with them yet because I'm not currently sending out freebie articles. But from what I have seen, it looks like a basic site for writers. They have a great markets section, though.

SRHowen

I also subscribe, but that does not mean they are "legit." I guess I don't know what you are asking for sure? Do they pay--or is it a safe place to publish?

If it is only an article then I would take the chance.

Shawn

cluelessspicycinnamon

No, they don't pay. And no, it would be a regular column.

llewellen

Years ago I applied to host a section of BellaOnline. I was quickly sent an email telling me I had been hired. But something must have sent up warning signs because I asked why I had been chosen. I was told I was the only one who had applied for that particular section. Again, I can't remember why, but I opted not to write for Bella. It was not because they didn't pay. Back then they offered a percentage of the traffic/sales hosts brought to the section with their content. I know I haven't been very helpful because I can't remember the specifics. But something turned me off about the way the site was managed. Maybe things are different now. Give it a try until your instincts tell you to proceed no further.

terriebittner

BellaOnline explanation

Hi. I have been with BellaOnline since they started way back when. They are a completely different place now, because someone bought out the site. It's true that you must write a column weekly, and you don't get paid. However, hosts may earn money from their site and keep all of it. The ads the owner gets just cover the costs of keeping the place running. Money we earn on our own is all ours. Many of the hosts run businesses or set up affiliate ads for their site. You do have to follow rules--for instance, we wouldn't want your "articles" to be ads. But if, for example, your column was on gardening. You write an article on how to use planters to create a theme. You insert a picture of a cute planter that is linked to your personal web store where they can buy the planter from you. You handle the sale yourself and keep everything. It's not a bad deal, and they don't run into what all the other sites do, where they promise to pay at first, but then run out of money and can't keep their promise.

Does it pay off? I've been a freelance writer for many years, both online and off, for free and for pay. A publisher found my BellaOnline column and, after studying my site and my bio, he offered me a book contract. The book will be out in a month or so. He felt my ability to write a weekly column proved I could handle the discipline of writing a book under contract. My magazine articles become recycling in a month or so, but my web stuff stays around forever, building my reputation. Since I'm allowed to write whatever I want within reason (must look professional and stay on topic), I get a chance to write things that matter to me, but don't have a real marketability in the strange world of print publishing.

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: BellaOnline explanation

Thanks. I think I might go for it. But wait--aside from the linking to an online store if you have one, are there other ways to make money? Like can you sell ads, or something?

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: Making money

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll do it.

Daphne The Wood Nymph

Not a Writer

I love the BellaOnline site. The articles aren't all about how I need to be skinny to be happy. I also like the fact that they have many different views represented. There's pro-choice and pro-life articles. There's those that home school and those who work in schools.

I don't find any of the "big" sites that do that. They all have to tow the party line.

acousticgroupie

Re: Not a Writer

i used to write for bella but it just got too demanding. hi terrie (waves). i'm glad you got something out of it!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I gather nobody here has done that.

I applied, got approved, and went through training in record time (according to the trainer).

It seems fairly interesting. They are very focused. You get some nominal income through ad click-throughs, but unless your site is one of the huge ones, I doubt that's significant at all.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Someone was just saying the other day that they write for bella. In the freelance forum somewhere. But I don't remember much else than that. You can always try searching the posts.

good luck you ya.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, there don't seem to be any warnings about them yet. It'll be interesting to see if the site has what it takes to survive.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
CaoPaux said:
FWIW, there don't seem to be any warnings about them yet. It'll be interesting to see if the site has what it takes to survive.

I did find a short note calling Bella and sites like them "vanity editing" sites, which I thought was kind of humorous. It's working out about as expected so far. It's not very time-consuming now that I've spent 20-30 hours getting it going. A few posts, an auto-generated newsletter, and 1+ 400-word articles per week. I'm going mad on the articles now, but I'm already slowing down.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
CaoPaux said:
Aha, I just found an old thread on them. Hope it helps.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867

Thanks. I don't remember if I skimmed that or not in my original search here. I now recognize Terrie as the person in charge of training new editors.

I've gotten indications that the ad revenue can be, let's say "small but steady."