Scene headings

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys use only day or night, or do you use continuous, later, moments later, etc?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I only use DAY and NIGHT and make any continuation of action clear in the action lines, but that's just my personal preference, not gospel.

And this might not mean a darn thing, but I got feedback a few months ago that included "how refreshing" it was to find only DAY and NIGHT in the scene headings! I'm betting the next prodco I send the script to will complain that I don't use time slugs more effectively. :)

-Derek

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
I use headings other than day or night, but not continuous or moments later, because if they are viewed independantly then they don't tell you anything.

Dustry Joe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is an odd thing, because the whole DAY/NIGHT, FADE IN/FADE OUT thing is useless in spec scripts, but hang on out of inertia while other stuff fades away.

But there are really only two legitimate slugs: NIGHT and DAY. These refer to shooting conditions. Probably nobody will toss your script if you use SUNSET or some such, but it's not a good idea to screw around with this: readers are picky and looking for an excuse to ditch your script and move to the next one.

LATER is REALLY useless. You're invoking something that doesn't convey on screen, for one thing. My suggestion would be to just forget about those tags, just put them in mindlessly like FADE IN:

It's either night or day, it's either inside or outside. That's it. If I run into something that I just can't make fit (it's a timeless period set inside a virtual hallucination) I just leave the tag out.

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
why is "day/night" useless in a spec script?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
DAY scenes use natural daylight while NIGHT scenes need a different lighting setup. The prodco's shooting script will probably break a DAY/NIGHT transition down into separate DAY and NIGHT scenes, tho' the spec writer probably doesn't need to worry about such things.

-Derek

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
Dpaterso, you misunderstood ron maiden, who was not talking about a transition between day and night, but actually "Day" or "Night" since Dustry Joe called them useless, which I disagree with.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, maybe I'm not awake yet, ignore me.

-Derek

Ron Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
"Yeah, maybe I'm not awake yet, ignore me."
good hogmanay, i take it? :-D

yeah - what i meant was, surely every scene must be specified as a time placement? granted, if your scene is EXT at a school breaktime i think we could safely assume it aiin't night, eg, but looking over some of my stuff just as a for instance, i can see bits where the setting of day or night is important but there's nothing in the actualy wording that might allow someone to distinguish this. can't think of anytime where stuff like that in a slug line WOULD be useless, TBH :-/

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm trying to tell a story, so I will use "MOMENTS LATER" or "CONTINUOUS" very frequently to keep the reader on board with the pacing. I often find if I just generically use "DAY" or "NIGHT" it won't necesarilly be clear that this scene is indeed just a few momets after the previous one, or even (more importantly) a few hours after the previous one--even though during those few short hours the sun has gone down. And so I want the reader to know that the characters are still wearing the exact same clothes they were wearing in the prior scene and that this is NOT another day with different clothes.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
can't think of anytime where stuff like that in a slug line WOULD be useless, TBH :-/

It could be useless if you're in an elevator, or a windowless basement... a cave deep underground with no natural light source... locked in a closet...