soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
My goals for last week:
Finish and post October Prompt story (needs much help).
Done! And thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

Get "Road to Moonlight" polished and subbed somewhere…not sure where yet. Not done. Still working on it.

Output:
Subbed another short that was in better condition than the above mentioned.

Probably around 500 words on the novel--just opened a couple chapters and wrote a few paragraphs here and there.

Goals:
No real goals this week. Nano begins on Sunday so I am going to try to actually get some pays-the-bills work done, and out of the way, since I will be neglecting my job through most of Nov.

Next week I may be back with some word count on the Nano book. Hopefully. And then I will resume goals through Nov. on that.:)

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
My goals for last week:
Finish and post October Prompt story (needs much help).
Done! And thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

Get "Road to Moonlight" polished and subbed somewhere…not sure where yet. Not done. Still working on it.

Output:
Subbed another short that was in better condition than the above mentioned.

Probably around 500 words on the novel--just
opened a couple chapters and wrote a few paragraphs here and there.

Goals:
No real goals this week. Nano begins on Sunday so I am going to try to actually get some pays-the-bills work done, and out of the way, since I will be neglecting my job through most of Nov.

Next week I may be back with some word count on the Nano book. Hopefully. And then I will resume goals through Nov. on that.:)

Good luck with NaNo Soap!

I can't wait to see your goals next week. So as incentive I will offer you boiled sheep's bladder and poached monkey butt as a reward if you meet your goals.

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I wrote 931 words last week.

My goal this week is to write at least 100 words a day, and 3,000 for the whole week.

Still not a shabby word count Ben! I hope everybody is hitting your FB link so they can check out your worthy cause you are writing for next month!

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The insanity which is NaNo starts in only 5 days. Must resist urge to jump-start process...

On a side note, I sent out The Light Of An Oncoming Train to Bewildering Stories the other day. Don Webb and I have had a good working relationship in the past and nobody can tell me they don't get a lot of traffic and views. They might not be a paying gig, but they have a lot of exposure there (maybe more than anywhere else).

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So as incentive I will offer you boiled sheep's bladder and poached monkey butt as a reward if you meet your goals.
Well if that’s not incentive--I don’t know what is! Thanks DL.
On a side note, I sent out The Light Of An Oncoming Train to Bewildering Stories the other day.
Greg--Bewildering Stories--very cool. I love their stuff! Good luck. I am always floored that they aren’t a paying market. They certainly are popular and their material is always very well written. I am actually stunned by how many fledgling pubs and/or less popular pubs, often pay the most on acceptance. It seems like there is little correlation between the quality of the pub and their pay rate. But I am new the whole “business” side of writing. :Shrug:

I have a hard time discerning who to sub to--the one who pays the most? The one who gets the most traffic? The one with the shortest response time (because I am impatient). The one with the higher acceptance rate? Gah--the list goes on. Oh--and also--the one that seems to fit the story best--I know that’s #1.;)

November will be a crazy shake up.
Good luck Ben, on your Nano endeavor. I am excited to see what we all do in Nov. I too am trying sooo hard not to start writing. I am just making notes because I am afraid the ideas will leave my head otherwise.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sub to whomever looks like they might actually read it.

Beyond that, the process mystifies me completely :D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You? Mystified? I thought you were all “vast knowing” LOL

If you want, I can put together a nice Pivot Table for you that would sort it all out. I know you love organization.;)

(kidding of course--as if I know how to use a Pivot Table!)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
soapdish wrote, Greg--Bewildering Stories--very cool. I love their stuff! Good luck. I am always floored that they aren’t a paying market. They certainly are popular and their material is always very well written. I am actually stunned by how many fledgling pubs and/or less popular pubs, often pay the most on acceptance. It seems like there is little correlation between the quality of the pub and their pay rate. But I am new the whole “business” side of writing.

I have a hard time discerning who to sub to--the one who pays the most? The one who gets the most traffic? The one with the shortest response time (because I am impatient). The one with the higher acceptance rate? Gah--the list goes on. Oh--and also--the one that seems to fit the story best--I know that’s #1.

I've had 2 stories published by Bewildering Stories (my only 2 thus far, but then Im not really putting out a lot of material these days and haven't really been subbing to the fullest extent I possibly could) - The Meadow and Knock On Wood.

I worked with Don Webb last year for awhile on a redesign of the website and especially the art pages to make them more user friendly, but thus far the art gallery redesign hasn't been instituted yet (so far as I know).

In regard to subbing, it's always best, in my not so humble opinion, to sub first to every paying market you can before hitting up a non-paying market. Don and Jerry do a great job with BWS, but they're non-paying and they'd tell you the same thing most likely. They do, however, get a ton of submissions, have been going for something like 400+ weekly issues and even a few of the Big Name editors will tell you they're considered a legitimate and important market if only for the exposure.

I've only had 1 editor ever tell me I "dumped" a story to BWS after a disagreement regarding the intent and "voice" of the story (Don accepted the story conditional on the basis that I "finish" it (which I have yet to do, but that's a project I'm also working on ("After Action Report")).

Don and Jerry love all kinds of stories. They especially like, or seem to like, stories that have a bit of humor to them. Jerry commented regarding Knock On Wood something to the effect that any story that has a sentence including the words "You're mad!" is worth reading (can't say I agree with him 100%, but this one worked in a quite humorous way in the middle of a fairly intense scene). They like space marines (but not White Dwarf/Warhammer type space marines - more like classical Heinlein space marines), gritty detective noir, thrillers, horror, science fiction, fantasy, etc., etc. I'm not so sure they like a whole lot of romance and they do have their standards regarding erotica, but if you want exposure and aren't overly concerned about payment, I'd say submit to BWS.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In regard to subbing, it's always best, in my not so humble opinion, to sub first to every paying market you can before hitting up a non-paying market.
Yeah, I think I would agree with that.
But Bewildering Stories (even though they are non-paying) falls in between my priority list of paying markets because they have a quick response time and a high acceptance rate (at least according to duo trope, though I know those numbers aren’t totally accurate.)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
BWS counts as one of the top 25 highest acceptance markets in fiction literature according to Duotrope (the last time I looked).

Now, you can consider that figure a number of different ways,

1) BWS accepts 25% of everything sent to them (categorically not true)
2) BWS has a higher submission rate of high quality stories than other non-paying 'zines (probably true)
3) BWS has more authors reporting to Duotrope than most other 'zines (I'd say definitely true)

or

5) There are Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics (absolutely true)

I'd say a combination of all the above is probably the most definitive case, but something keeps even published and named authors contributing to BWS when they could be selling their stories to paying markets (not a lot, but 1 or 2, here and there, every so often). Something keeps unnamed authors and aspiring writers contributing stories to BWS.

BWS has had over 367 thousand page views in 7 years. That's an average of about 144 page views per day.

I know I'd like to have 144 people per day looking at my stories because that means there's a high likelihood that one or more of those people might actually be a fan and might be telling their friends about my stories. That increases the likelihood that an editor or agent might one day hear my name whispered in their ear and might take a closer look at one of my submissions.

Funnier things have happened.

<Yeah, my glass is always half full, but then, I'm a writer>

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
See, this is why I hate statistics.
I was thinking it was most likely a combo of these two:
2) BWS has a higher submission rate of high quality stories than other non-paying 'zines (probably true)
3) BWS has more authors reporting to Duotrope than most other 'zines (I'd say definitely true)
And now you have just confirmed my suspicions. Argh.

Can't I just pretend the statistics do matter and are accurate, and still have hope? :D

ETA: no need to answer, I have already made up my mind to ignore reality.

Last edited:

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
Editing and more importantly chopping up an old novel. Dusting off two short horror stories for submission... again. Can't promise output at this time, but I understand the need to edit. :)

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Editing and more importantly chopping up an old novel. Dusting off two short horror stories for submission... again. Can't promise output at this time, but I understand the need to edit. :)

Good to see you posting again Anthony! Good luck on your subs and the editing!

Twisted

Apprentice Wordworker
Registered
Reaction score
I know excuses are like a-holes... everybody's got one and they all stink. I totally blew it this past week Tigeress... I was sick most of last week and traveling until today, so I've completely lost track of what my goals were. I know I finally got an idea for the October prompt story and didn't fidn time to get any of it down on paper and now I'm only two days away from the beginning of November.
I'll get another set of goals out this upcomming Monday and ge back on track.

Kitty

weeeeeeeee *thud*
Registered
Reaction score
hope you're feelin' better Twisted :)

I didn't get much done in the way of writing. Finished an edit and then got poked to do some digital art instead. Submmitted one work of art and have been going cross eyed doing another two :e2thud:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Anyone need a scare?
129013447707163393.jpg

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I know excuses are like a-holes... everybody's got one and they all stink. I totally blew it this past week Tigeress... I was sick most of last week and traveling until today, so I've completely lost track of what my goals were. I know I finally got an idea for the October prompt story and didn't fidn time to get any of it down on paper and now I'm only two days away from the beginning of November.
I'll get another set of goals out this upcomming Monday and ge back on track.
Twisted,

We all have off weeks. Get you a good start on Monday jot some ideas down whatever it takes...hang in there:)

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant
I didn't get much done in the way of writing. Finished an edit and then got poked to do some digital art instead. Submmitted one work of art and have been going cross eyed doing another two :e2thud:

Kitty,

Good luck with your sub! Editing is unfun but important. Hope to see some goals next week:)

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

Anyone need a scare?
129013447707163393.jpg

Pretty hot looking ghouls;)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
minor rant:

subbed a piece. MONTHS ago. Months ago to the point where I'd decided to resub it someplace else this week. (Which I haven't yet but hey, week's not over yet, right? :D)

NOW they send me an email. Form letter rejection.

I'm sorry, I don't mind the form letter, but if you can't get back to me after six months with more than a form letter, it irks me a little. :rant:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, at least a prompt form letter shows that they respect your time and high opinion of them and it's especially rude when they fail to reciprocate at all.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Twisted,

We all have off weeks. Get you a good start on Monday jot some ideas down whatever it takes...hang in there:)

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

Kitty,

Good luck with your sub! Editing is unfun but important. Hope to see some goals next week:)

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

Pretty hot looking ghouls;)

What the heck. :Huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.