Resurrecting The Dead--the All New Horror Hounds Weekend Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WHAT!
My spirit fingers didn't work? Maybe they are broken....here try this **********
(maybe I just didn't wiggle them hard enough for you last time.) :D

Naw, your spirit fingers were great, Soapy. :D Just not right for them, that's all. :Hug2:

Cranky,

My dear it doesn't have to just horror that you use for output. Always good to hear from you.I also write some sci-fi but it's a secret---don't tell anyone;)20 pushups for you:) good luck on your sub.

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

Thanks, DL. And your secret is safe with me. :D

Keep up the good work Cranky!

Thanks!

boston, I officially love you, too. So few people are into Event Horizon, which I say is one of the best "don't turn around-it's right behind you-run--it's closer-run faster-OMG IT'S HERE!" movies evah. Plus, it has Sam Neill *swoon*.

I loved Biehn in Terminator and The Abyss. IMO he's a great supporting actor but doesn't quite have the chops as a lead. I say this having recognized a long time ago that I have the chops for amateur theater but definitely not for Broadway. Saved myself years of heartache when I admitted that. Transferred the heartache to writing and querying, but, yanno... :D

*sigh* I suppose you're right about Biehn, Lily, but still. And now it's official, I've got to get my hands on Event Horizon again and watch it all the way through.

Since we're talking Movies here...has anyone seen The Decent? It's amazing, caves and mutant people praying on the less weak. I have to say it's one of the better 'scare' factor movies out there...One that I truely was gripping the edge of my seat with anticipation...with the dark lighting and the confined quarters I have to say it's on my list of favorites. :D

No.Thank.YOU! *shudders* :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I'd swoon again, but I'm worried about what you'd do with me once I'd pass out. I've seen how you are with your "affections" for Pike. :D

(still, Cranky and Lily in less than 12 hrs?? this will do wonders for my ego... until DL comes along and literally knocks me down to size again :ROFL:)

Yeah, I'll go with that. He stole - well, almost, cause Kilmer really stole - most of the scenes he was in in Tombstone, but couldn't have carried a lead. Likewise with Aliens and Abyss. I think it speaks volumes that in Terminator the one everyone remembers is Arnie. :D

You speak blasphemey against the Biehn, boston? *waves sledgehammer menacingly*

But, yes *sigh* Kilmer really did steal the show in Tombstone. "I'm your huckleberry" indeed. :ROFL:

Arnie, right? Ah, I like that one. Not as much as Predator (the first, not the second which was just... ugh... and don't even get me started on AVP. Some things should just not happen. *shudders*)

Of course, the odd thing about Running Man was that it was conceived of in an era before reality tv. Nowadays, aside from the hideous orange and yellow jumpsuits, it all seems scarily plausible.

Alien Resurrection was plenty gory, but that's when it *really* started going off the rails, I think. I didn't even bother with AVP, to be honest. And I think you're right about the plausibility of Running Man nowadays. We're not far from it, are we? Yuck.

Okay, here's my ranking...

The Thing (1982) & Aliens (tie for #1)
Event Horizon (#2 because of its horrific aspects)
Alien (beaten by EH because they didn;t play the horror up enough in favor of showing Sigourney Weaver undressing)
Abyss (mainly a SF picture, but with some horror and romance thrown in for good measure)

All of the above can be considered haunted house movies set in space or the ocean or the Antarctic. The Thing (1982) has elements in it which can tie it to both Stephen King's The Tommyknockers and HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness. The Abyss has certain similarities to the older Australian movie The Wave, particularly the ending.

Haunted house movies do not have to be ambivalent towards action. There are even a few that have a great deal of intentional humor in them plus a good bit of action (I wish I could remember the name of the movie where some madman built a machine that trapped ghosts inide it and the house then trapped some investigators).

Sorry, but Pitch Black doesn't even rate in my book right now. I'd place movies like Wrong Turn way above it.

I think that movie was 13 Ghosts, Greg. Don't quote me on it, but that sounds right.

And I must be the only person in the history of ever who didn't find The Abyss scary. I dunno why, either, since I'm normally quite the wimp when it comes to horror movies of any kind. I think it's because it was maybe a little too "gosh-wow!" with the special effects.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait -the Abyss is scary?? Since when???

Don't get me wrong, I like the film - but it's strictly sci-fi, hardly horror by any means. Claustrophobic, suspenseful, but not horror.

... Now, if the squiggly little neon aliens had *eaten* them, well then you'd have something. :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, fair enough. And I'm glad to know I'm not *totally* crazy, then. :D

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I do belive that 13 Ghosts is the movie I'm thinking of.

The thing that makes The Abyss scary in places is that the miners are trapped, alone, at the bottom of the ocean in an environment that can kill them in a heartbeat if they make the slightest wrong move. Then they have an alien visitor. There was a similar movie some time ago that had a similar theme and more vicious alien (no, not Deep Star Six, although that movie was good in its own right and better than another movie essentially made from the same script, it was older than that, but very creepy). In addition, the idea of the main character taking that deep dive, knowing he was going on a one-way trip and would not survive is, while heroic, creepy - he's diving towards a destiny in which the only end is certain death in a very cold, dark, alien place.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? It was awesome. I had to keep checking behind me for months after I'd watched it. I became Re-afraid of the dark. It was great!:Jump:

I don't get nightmares from many things, but this...did it for me.

Um... exactly. Too many caves close by me for comfort as it is. I like bats, mind you. Batcaves are, well, different. (Especially *the* Batcave... but that's a whole other thing entirely).

But cold, wet, tight, hard to get into spaces? With mutant killer zombies? No.

besides, i can just watch The Thing again if I want to jump at things... like that frozen pile of red bailing twine this winter. You know, just saying, it looked a lot like the Thing's tendrils. I knew it wasn't, of course... really, I did...

um.... nevermind. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a similar movie some time ago that had a similar theme and more vicious alien (no, not Deep Star Six,

I could argue about "suspense" vs "horror" but I think we'll just agree to disagree.

While I snicker quietly behind your back about scary water tentacles

And I think you're referring to "Leviathan" which I liked, though that may have been helped by the slight crush I had on Amanda Pays after her stint on "The Flash." :D

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
besides, i can just watch The Thing again if I want to jump at things... like that frozen pile of red bailing twine this winter. You know, just saying, it looked a lot like the Thing's tendrils. I knew it wasn't, of course... really, I did...

um.... nevermind. :D

Geeze...I can't even think of a response to that...:)

Yeah! Managed to upload a new avatar.

Now, I really need to modify that ST avatar to something a bit more appropriate for SF with a side of horror...

Hehehehe...

Good job Greg, now we'll stop the ST jokes we say behind your back :D

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
Good job Greg, now we'll stop the ST jokes we say behind your back

Bah! Cowards! I want you to talk about me in front of me 'cause I want to hear the stories too! The most I might do is come huntin' ya'll with a crossbow (guns are so noisy...)...

:;):

I thought trekkies only used tasers...:D

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Good job Greg, now we'll stop the ST jokes we say behind your back

Bah! Cowards! I want you to talk about me in front of me 'cause I want to hear the stories too! The most I might do is come huntin' ya'll with a crossbow (guns are so noisy...)...

:;):

Boston is the only one that star trek jokes---wait--- I did sneak one into my fetish speech---and I still say Picard was better than Kirk. Bring it on---I have a bow, some arrows, marshmallows and a lighter;)

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Picard. Was. Better. Than Captain. Kirk.

Just the way William Shatner talks annoys me. I kept wishing he'd wear a red shirt when I was a kid and my dad dominated the tv viewing options

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Picard. Was. Better. Than Captain. Kirk.

Just the way William Shatner talks annoys me. I kept wishing he'd wear a red shirt when I was a kid and my dad dominated the tv viewing options

But.. he has.. such a... dynamic... approach. How can you not... appreciate the greatness... that is the Shat? :D

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
But.. he has.. such a... dynamic... approach. How can you not... appreciate the greatness... that is the Shat? :D

Shat - isn't that a way to say you took a sh--?

The only "Shat" performance I like is when he did the voice of Ozzy the Oppossum in Over the Hedge. "Oh, great and powerful Steve! Whaddaya want?"

Status
Not open for further replies.