Resurrecting The Dead--the All New Horror Hounds Weekend Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Yah. He does sound like a cool dad. My dad told me I couldn't date until I was thirty-five. Like it was necessary.

As far as my little sis, she's a sensible girl. She's a girly girl, but she's not impressed with the whole boyfriend/dating thing. There are boys she likes, but she's not going to 'just die' if she doesn't have a boyfriend. The boys think she's cute, but weird, 'cause she wants to be a writer like big sis. I'm so proud!

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
When I was 16, I discovered I was an adrenaline junkie. That's when I began seeing how many 360's I could do with the family car. Or when I discovered Grandma's Oldsmobile would do over 100 on gravel roads. Or when I urban surfed in the back of my buddy's truck doing 110 MPH on the highway. Or when I used to go from the cab of the truck to the bed and back while he did 65 on the highway. It's a good thing somebody talked a guy out of selling me a parachute I was ready to buy.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Easter Hounds!

Just remember, the Easter Bunny can come and go in your house at will, is very large, and could probably flatten you with one kick.

And if you think all bunnies are cute and cuddly, you haven't read Watership Down. :D

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
My goal was to hit 5300 and somehow managed to hit 5500. :Wha: Not sure how that happened.

Setting the same goal - it seems to be working and as they say, if it ain't broke... Parent-teacher conference Thursday morning, the kids don't have school Friday, and Easter is Sunday - not quite sure how my time will play out.

I have my first 3 chapters being read by a friend at the moment - hoping to get some feedback Wednesday. My first three chapters were the hardest to cover, so I'm anxious to hear what she has to say.

Last weeks goal was 500 and I'm aiming for the same this week, bringing me to 6000 or so

Hereby calling an end to my week and have brought my word count up to 6400 and change.

I've finished with the final beginning stages of my story and now stand on the edge of the real action of my story - I can't wait to put down on paper what's in my head!

Since I've consistently passed my 500 word goals, I'll shoot a little higher this week and aim for 700 words to bring me up to 7100 total. :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
1200 words, no subs, one rejection. Shooting for 1000 words next week with at least a couple of subs.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
About 100 extra words completely reformatting the endnotes and bibliography on the paying gig. Horror=biblio. formatting. Yech.

After a surprising informal poll on the merits of killing off my MC at the end, I am bowing to the vehemence of potential readers and completely re-outlining the end of the horror. :scared:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
About 100 extra words completely reformatting the endnotes and bibliography on the paying gig. Horror=biblio. formatting. Yech.

After a surprising informal poll on the merits of killing off my MC at the end, I am bowing to the vehemence of potential readers and completely re-outlining the end of the horror. :scared:

I assume your MC is a Chihuahua? Definitely, Do.Not.Kill.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
362 wds, which makes (and a little over) my goal. Next two weekends, i'm caught up in High School Hell. (not even fun to right about.) Prom next week, UIL advancement for my spelling kids the week after.

Ya team!

Sigh.

So i hearby state i won't be writing, prolly. Not at school during the week, either--usually can't, and this week's getting 'em ready for 6-wks tests.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
362 wds, which makes (and a little over) my goal. Next two weekends, i'm caught up in High School Hell. (not even fun to right about.) Prom next week, UIL advancement for my spelling kids the week after.

Ya team!

Sigh.

So i hearby state i won't be writing, prolly. Not at school during the week, either--usually can't, and this week's getting 'em ready for 6-wks tests.

*sigh*

I so understand. Last week we set off back to an area 50 miles away where there's always more work. Not much choice. That kills my day for writing, takes months, is usually followed by the desire to find more work, begins to undermine what I was seeing as progress of my own. Yeash! BUT, 362 words is often a nice tally for a day. Me, I look for moments to sit and jot words into notebooks. I search for ways to hang on, hang on, hang on. Maybe after this job, maybe the next. Hang on with me Cathy. We'll keep trying to pluck at it slowly together. 250 words is just a page, it's my old goal back like a bad taste, but it's a page a day toward a goal. What say? Pinky promises?

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
...BUT, 362 words is often a nice tally for a day. Me, I look for moments to sit and jot words into notebooks. I search for ways to hang on, hang on, hang on. Maybe after this job, maybe the next. Hang on with me Cathy. We'll keep trying to pluck at it slowly together. 250 words is just a page, it's my old goal back like a bad taste, but it's a page a day toward a goal. What say? Pinky promises?

Kerr,
I'm not sure where to put this, but I just wanted to say that every time I'm on here I see you encouraging another writer and I think it's wonderful!

Keep up with your bad self *lol* and I hope that your great energy comes back to you with heaps and heaps of good Karma...and lots of book deals:D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I did it! I finished the rough draft of my novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am on cloud nine. Over the weekend I just couldn't contain my excitement. It is such a huge feeling of accomplishment. Though I know revision hell awaits. *sigh*

I decided to do one round of on-screen revisions before printing it out (so I spare myself some printer ink) Nothing too major, just some formatting stuff so that when I do print it out it will be easier on the eyes.

Once I have finished one round of on-screen revisions I am putting it away for a month before I attack the hard copy. This has been the most exhausting experience and I think I need some distance from it before I pick it up again. (Hopefully I will pick it up again….)

It is not horror, and only clocked in at a little over 53k, about 20-30k shorter than I originally wanted, but hey--it's better than nothing.

Goals for this week:
  • finish the preliminary on-screen revisions on the novel and then put it away.
  • Hopefully get 500 words on the short story for this month's prompt. I already have a good start, I just need to work out all the kinks. I can't seem to get too far from my novel these days, so my short story features two of the characters from it. Turns out with one very small twist, their back story is pretty horrific.
But it is also Spring Break for the kids and I am not sure if that means I will get more writing done, or less....I will have to see how it goes.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com

Ya team!

Sigh.

*sigh*

I so understand. Last week we set off back to an area 50 miles away where there's always more work. Not much choice. That kills my day for writing, takes months, is usually followed by the desire to find more work, begins to undermine what I was seeing as progress of my own. Yeash! BUT, 362 words is often a nice tally for a day. Me, I look for moments to sit and jot words into notebooks. I search for ways to hang on, hang on, hang on. Maybe after this job, maybe the next. Hang on with me Cathy. We'll keep trying to pluck at it slowly together. 250 words is just a page, it's my old goal back like a bad taste, but it's a page a day toward a goal. What say? Pinky promises?

Good luck guys. It makes me nuts when RL keeps me from writing. Hang in there!

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I did it! I finished the rough draft of my novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am on cloud nine. Over the weekend I just couldn't contain my excitement. It is such a huge feeling of accomplishment. Though I know revision hell awaits. *sigh*

I decided to do one round of on-screen revisions before printing it out (so I spare myself some printer ink) Nothing too major, just some formatting stuff so that when I do print it out it will be easier on the eyes.

Once I have finished one round of on-screen revisions I am putting it away for a month before I attack the hard copy. This has been the most exhausting experience and I think I need some distance from it before I pick it up again. (Hopefully I will pick it up again….)

It is not horror, and only clocked in at a little over 53k, about 20-30k shorter than I originally wanted, but hey--it's better than nothing.

Goals for this week:
  • finish the preliminary on-screen revisions on the novel and then put it away.
  • Hopefully get 500 words on the short story for this month's prompt. I already have a good start, I just need to work out all the kinks. I can't seem to get too far from my novel these days, so my short story features two of the characters from it. Turns out with one very small twist, their back story is pretty horrific.
But it is also Spring Break for the kids and I am not sure if that means I will get more writing done, or less....I will have to see how it goes.

Congrats on finishing your rough draft! :hooray:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
My goal is to get my expanded outline done in my second novel. I'm following the snowflake method and I have to say, it's working wonders for me so far. Also, I need to come up with some new short stories, so two rough draft versions are also in the week's goal.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
My goal is to get my expanded outline done in my second novel. I'm following the snowflake method and I have to say, it's working wonders for me so far. Also, I need to come up with some new short stories, so two rough draft versions are also in the week's goal.

Snowflake? Huh?

Last edited:

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm biting, what's the snowflake method, drift and fall where you may?

SOAP!!!!! Big congrats to you. WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.