Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: L.A. Media

LilB

Exclamation L.A. Media

I was notified this morning to a reply on the Mardi Gras closing thread of several months ago. Apparently, this new Epub is owned by Teresa Jacobs of Mardi Gras Press, though it does not specifically state it on the website (I checked who published it, page info, etc).

There are two books up for sale at the moment and one upcoming. The upcoming one states the author's name as Teresa Wayne, and when you click on the cover, it shows the designer as Teresa Jacobs.

I wrote to the site through the contact link, regarding monies owed and the other rumors , but If I get ANY kind of reply, I'll be floored, lol. In any case, just thought I'd let you all know and post the links to the Dear Author and the new site.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007...as-publishing/

http://www.lamediaonline.com/index.html

Lil
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 12-11-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fixed wonky link

LilB
    Thank you for fixing the link!

Are they still open? It looks like they're making you go to the authors' websites to buy the books. If this is the way it was supposed to be designed, it's awkward. You have to click a separate link to go to a separate web page for each author. I've never seen an e-publisher designed like that. Most people will see that and say "Never mind, that's too much trouble."

Teresa Wayne is responding to the allegations about this company on her blog. I've only had a chance to skim her response. All I can say is...
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    This really looks more like a PR or consulting endeavor than a publisher. Whether it's qualified to provide those services is another question.

For background on Mardi Gras Press, which closed its doors earlier this year amid allegations of bad business practices, see this thread from AW, and this blog entry from Jane Litte of Dear Author.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    This really looks more like a PR or consulting endeavor than a publisher.
    That could be -- or a PR or consulting endeavor set up to look like a publisher? There was an earlier link, but after a couple of the romance blogs posted about it, the page went dead. I didn't see the original page, so it's possible it looked more like a publisher. Also, Fictionwise.com is carrying two titles with LA Media listed as publisher. Who owns the publisher is still a question. Maybe somebody who is more techie than me can check the registration of the URL

I've found the cache of the original page. Looks like they were offering a number of services, including editing, self-publishing, and e-book services. And their contact address is a G-mail address. Not very professional.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Whether it's qualified to provide those services is another question.
    And a very good question.
    Last edited by AnneMarble; 12-12-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added URL
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just for the record, more cached pages: Promotions and Pricing.

I'll file this as an e-pub for the time being.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    There was very much a publisher website with submission by invitation, a book store etc etc. It broke all records for shortest life-span of an epublisher.
    Emily Veinglory

This blog entry mentions claims (via an e-mail) that Mardi Gras Publishing books that went to print are now being sold as being published by L. A. Media -- even though many of the authors did not agree to be published by the new company. I looked up the one linked in the entry, and sure enough, the publisher is listed as L. A. Media. And she is not one of the three authors mentioned on this page.

Does anyone know if these claims are true? Or is it just a glitch?

Just in case, if you're a former Mardi Gras Publishing author who was set to go into print, you might want to look up your book on Amazon or B&N.
    THE Official FreakTM

All of those books are also listed as 'out of stock'. It may be weird but does is matter what publisher they are not being sold by?
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    All of those books are also listed as 'out of stock'. It may be weird but does is matter what publisher they are not being sold by?
    Good point. It's probably a glitch then. Like the Venus Press website coming back to life but then the shopping cart not working. We'll probably see more little temporary "zombies" like this. Well as long as the web site for the long-dead RFI West doesn't start stumbling around like a zombie.
    THE Official FreakTM

And if there was a publisher to be voted 'most likely to come back as a zombie'.... well
    Last edited by veinglory; 01-28-2008 at 01:58 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Don't publishers come back as zobmies?

LA Media site is gone. No immediate sign of Ms. Jacobs setting up shop elsewhere.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

L A Media still exists, sans website. Sales are through distributors such as fictionwise.
    Emily Veinglory

Iiinteresting. Thanks for the update!
    ICAO
    ---------

There are currently no L.A. Media books on Fictionwise. Anyone hear anything to suggest it and/or Jacobs is still in business?
    ICAO
    ---------