• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Susan Schulman: A Literary Agency

Tenacious

Registered
Reaction score
I don't wish to offend anyone here but because writeaway2505 said Nancy Ellis is a good agent I looked her up. Every comment was bad with court cases mentioned for withholding authors' money. Save your time if you're thinking of following that lead.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I was going to query her, but I notice that the only people here with good things to say are posters with one or two posts, kinda suspicious.

Anyway, anyone have any up to date dealings?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
my recent experience with Susan.

I queried her with a query letter + 10 on Jan 3rd.

She requested a full on the 5th, promising to have it read by February 1st.

She got back to me yesterday, less than two weeks after requesting, with a wonderful and encouraging letter. She asked to keep it confidential, so I won't say anything other than that my experience with her has been great, and I'd be thrilled if she made me an offer of representation.

If people are curious about her sales/clients, query tracker and PM both have information on that. The most successful book she's sold seems to be Holes.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks honeysock, keep your fingers crossed for me!

stormie - my book is ya contemporary.

TheArchives

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thearchivest.wordpress.com
My exp. with Susan (she rep'd me for a few years) were not good. She is either disorganized, inept, slightly frazzled or a bit of a deceitful person. I could never decide which. I do not recommend her.

londoner

Registered
Reaction score
My exp. with Susan (she rep'd me for a few years) were not good. She is either disorganized, inept, slightly frazzled or a bit of a deceitful person. I could never decide which. I do not recommend her.

I have to say that I have heard this from more than a couple of her ex-clients and also from publishers. I get the feeling that when she's "there" she's really "there" but the rest of the time, beware.....

Having said that, there are still many satisfied clients with her and there are always two sides to any story but I've heard too many negatives to think it was just bitterness.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
According to her PM page, a new website goes live in June (at schulmanagency.com).

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Can't wait to see it, and if she has other agents and/or assistants who will listed. Ten years ago, I corresponded with an "Emily" who seemed to be her gatekeeper up in CT. I ultimately went with another agent, but Susan Schulman seemed to be on the verge of retiring back then. But that's only my take on it.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Any word on Christine Leblond? She rejoined the agency in 2013 as an agent. Google doesn't reveal much else.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Yeah, she's not listed on QueryTracker at all, and if she's been back and active since 2013 then I'd expect someone would've submitted her name to the moderators there.

rontiara

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, as of today her website is still under construction: a one-page site with name and address and that's about it. But Preditors & Editors says "$ Highly recommended."

Hard to know what to think...............:Shrug:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
The site is still under construction.... http://www.schulmanagency.com/

I Google Maps'd the address in the URL, it shows a NYC, residential brownstone. This does not mean she cannot run a successful business out of her home, but it is suspicious (at least to me).

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I had contacted her over ten years ago, and she had requested a full of mine before I thanked her and signed with another agency. I remember back then thinking she might be ready to retire (don't know why I thought that). Her communication with me was very good, but it was hard to read her emails, as they weren't typed with spell-check or maybe because of it.... She was regarded as a top agent at that time and very selective. Maybe now she is in retirement.