The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 108

Thread: ML Brown and Associates

  1. #1
    Caroline honeycomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    443

    ML Brown and Associates

    She asked for the first 50 pages of my manuscript. Has anyone worked with her or heard of her?

  2. #2
    Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    3,301
    desperateauthor, you should really be doing your research before you query - it would save you the price of the postage if nothing else.

    Website is here.

    One of the authors listed as having had work successfully sold seems to have actually self-published their work. However, I see that one of the other authors has work coming out with Kensington (which is legit) and another with Xpress Yourself Publishing. However, I don't know anything about African-American independent publishers, so someone else will need to say whether these are good sales (although I do note that Xpress Yourself Publishing doesn't claim to put books on shelves and requires the author to heavily market).

    Most of the authors seem to write romance aimed at the African-American market.

    MM
    Last edited by Momento Mori; 12-05-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: My English sucketh

  3. #3
    Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    6,667
    I find misleading Ms. Brown's listing of Affiliations on her bio page. A hasty reader might assume she was an AAR agent, and miss the very small print below that says "All affiliations are pending at this present time." In fact, an affiliation with AAR can't be pending, because the agency doesn't seem to meet the minimum sales requirement for membership: at least 10 commercial sales within the past 18 months.

    Xpress Yourself Publishing looks like your basic POD-based micropress, which relies mostly on its authors for marketing and promotion. No agent needed to submit here--nor, since I'm guessing it doesn't pay advances, would a successful agent consider it for submission.

    - Victoria

  4. #4
    Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    3,301
    Further to my earlier comment, looking at the agency's sales history, the majority of recent sales were made to Urban Books. Taking a look at their website, this seems to be an independent African-American specialist publisher with 3 imprints, but there isn't a huge amount of information on how they operate (and it's not reassuring to see that the contact email address for two of the imprints is for a Yahoo account). In fact the only information I could find about staff etc was via their Q-Boro imprint here, which says that it grew from a self-publishing operation (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I note there's no mention of current distribution into bricks and mortar stores).

    The other sale was to Genesis Press, which sparked a memory because there's a Thread on it here, a publisher which was the subject of a number of complaints in 2006 and which has since been picked up by Kensington for distribution. There's no update on how Gensis is currently doing with its authors.

    Hope that's of some use.

    MM

  5. #5
    Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    6,667
    Urban Books is a successful publisher. It has a partnership with, and is distributed by, Kensington. So I think those are solid small-press sales, although you don't need an agent to submit to Urban.

    - Victoria

  6. #6
    Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    3,301
    Victoria Strauss:
    Urban Books is a successful publisher. It has a partnership with, and is distributed by, Kensington. So I think those are solid small-press sales, although you don't need an agent to submit to Urban.
    Cool. Good to know.

    MM

  7. #7
    Caroline honeycomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    443
    Thanks! I did do my homework, but it helps to talk to you guys. For some reason, I trust you :-)

  8. #8
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Requesting a update on information posted.

    I will be more than happy to verify who I am. I do work with quite a few smaller publishers only because right now that's what my clientèle is they like small houses because they can make a name for their selves and continue on to larger things. Since you guys last looked at my list you will see that I have continue to make a few more sales while they are still in smaller houses they are still legit sales. If there are any other questions please send me a email at misherald@mlbrownassociatesllc.com. As you will see I have chosen not to affiliate myself with any of the organization because I find that sometimes they hinder you as per the writer's strike that just happened in California so until I get further information I won't touch affiliations. I've went on to pick up some other authors so please feel free to check out my site again and contact me if necessary.


    Also someone was asking about my submission status...
    I am a big query person I love to read a synopsis and that synopsis and blurb grabs my attention those are biggies for me.

    Thanks,

    Misherald

  9. #9
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Replying to ?s

    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    desperateauthor, you should really be doing your research before you query - it would save you the price of the postage if nothing else.

    Website is here.

    One of the authors listed as having had work successfully sold seems to have actually self-published their work. However, I see that one of the other authors has work coming out with Kensington (which is legit) and another with Xpress Yourself Publishing. However, I don't know anything about African-American independent publishers, so someone else will need to say whether these are good sales (although I do note that Xpress Yourself Publishing doesn't claim to put books on shelves and requires the author to heavily market).

    Most of the authors seem to write romance aimed at the African-American market.

    MM
    A few of my authors started out as self published authors and then moved over to being authors from New York houses.

    MB

  10. #10
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    I find misleading Ms. Brown's listing of Affiliations on her bio page. A hasty reader might assume she was an AAR agent, and miss the very small print below that says "All affiliations are pending at this present time." In fact, an affiliation with AAR can't be pending, because the agency doesn't seem to meet the minimum sales requirement for membership: at least 10 commercial sales within the past 18 months.

    Xpress Yourself Publishing looks like your basic POD-based micropress, which relies mostly on its authors for marketing and promotion. No agent needed to submit here--nor, since I'm guessing it doesn't pay advances, would a successful agent consider it for submission.

    - Victoria


    Victoria I believe you fail to realize that AAR offers:
    Provisional membership may be granted to persons whose primary professional activity for the twelve months preceding application for provisional membership in the Association has been as (i) an author's representative for the selling of rights in and to literary works; (ii) the agent principally responsible for executed agreements concerning the grant of publication, translation, or performance rights to five different literary properties during the twelve months preceding application for provisional membership. For provisional membership criteria in the AAR's dramatic branch, refer to the By-Laws annexed to the application package.


    MB

  11. #11
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    EMAIL ISSUES

    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    Further to my earlier comment, looking at the agency's sales history, the majority of recent sales were made to Urban Books. Taking a look at their website, this seems to be an independent African-American specialist publisher with 3 imprints, but there isn't a huge amount of information on how they operate (and it's not reassuring to see that the contact email address for two of the imprints is for a Yahoo account). In fact the only information I could find about staff etc was via their Q-Boro imprint here, which says that it grew from a self-publishing operation (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I note there's no mention of current distribution into bricks and mortar stores).

    The other sale was to Genesis Press, which sparked a memory because there's a Thread on it here, a publisher which was the subject of a number of complaints in 2006 and which has since been picked up by Kensington for distribution. There's no update on how Gensis is currently doing with its authors.

    Hope that's of some use.

    MM

    It has been explained to us as agents the reason why their main email addresses aren't available is because they are having spam problems. I have addresses for all these publishers that put me in direct contact with them as well as ensure that information is receive. We can't help it that people are sending in appropriate stuff and therefore publishers are force to use yahoo accounts or simply have stuff mailed in.

  12. #12
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Update on Info

    Quote Originally Posted by honeycomb View Post
    She asked for the first 50 pages of my manuscript. Has anyone worked with her or heard of her?
    Honey my submissions request is a detailed synopsis, the first fifty pages, and a little about the author. I like to get a feel for my authors from jump. This is average most agents ask for the first three chapters I don't need those first three with me being a single person agency if the first fifty don't catch my attention I need to move on.


    Thanks

  13. #13
    practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbrownassociates View Post
    Honey my submissions request is a detailed synopsis, the first fifty pages, and a little about the author. I like to get a feel for my authors from jump.
    Huh? What does that mean, "from jump" ?

  14. #14
    Return of the Jedi juneafternoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    359
    ^ From the start.

    Though ... I don't think the person was COMPLAINING about being requested material, only wondering in what kind of hands it would befall. But hey, just waltzed in here, waltzing right out. Good luck!
    - June
    Not my real name, but since everyone has taken to calling me that, I'll just go with the flow
    Current Musical Obsession: Electronica
    Genres: Trance, House, Techno, Dance
    Currently Reading: Teach Me by R.A. Nelson

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AW. A very nice place!
    Posts
    11,486
    "from the jump" means right from the start or get go. I'm sort of ashamed to know this. Must be doing too much social interacting, of late. Must curtail it. Grrr, grrr.

  16. #16
    Megalops Erectus Silver King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Florida (West Central)
    Posts
    12,447
    I usually don't point out grammar and punctuation errors in someone's posts, but let us hope ML Brown's correspondence with publishers shows a better grasp of the English language than she has in this thread.

  17. #17
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    The meaning from the jump

    Quote Originally Posted by Khazarkhum View Post
    Huh? What does that mean, "from jump" ?
    Basically it means before I start working with a author I like to get a feel of who they are and how they work. Its what some may call a vibe.


    Missy

  18. #18
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Response

    Quote Originally Posted by juneafternoon View Post
    ^ From the start.

    Though ... I don't think the person was COMPLAINING about being requested material, only wondering in what kind of hands it would befall. But hey, just waltzed in here, waltzing right out. Good luck!
    June I wasn't saying she was complaining. I was simply responding to what was out there. Questions were being asked and since not alot of my authors are involved in online groups I wanted them cleared up. I don't like when people assume things I prefer for questions to be ask and people acknowledge the fact that I don't mind answering questions about my business or me.

    Missy

  19. #19
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    "From The Jump

    Quote Originally Posted by anis View Post
    "from the jump" means right from the start or get go. I'm sort of ashamed to know this. Must be doing too much social interacting, of late. Must curtail it. Grrr, grrr.

    Anis social interacting is good I am sure some of your writing comes from your social interactions.



  20. #20
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Response

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    I usually don't point out grammar and punctuation errors in someone's posts, but let us hope ML Brown's correspondence with publishers shows a better grasp of the English language than she has in this thread.
    Silver believe me it does. When I am on social forums I try to relax and simply be a person. People tend to get intimidated when they realize who or what I do. I've gone on boards before and basically work with the name Noel Shaw (my pen name) and have fun with other writers. It allows me to relax and not be hit with submission questions or request. I will try my best to remember a comma, period, or semicolon but it can't always be promised. I enjoy getting off at 6pm everyday and be able to go back lax mode.


    Missy

  21. #21
    I'm really shy... joyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,659
    Last year before I really knew anything about the publishing industry. I sent my first manuscript to her. I was rejected in the long run, but she was very nice. Me being a stupid first time author, emailed her with all sorts of stupid questions and I have to say she responded quickly with each and every one. She was the first to say my work may be too controversial, but that was echoed by other agents who read it, so I figured she was right on. She also told me to send any further work to her and she'd be happy to read it. My experience was good. I truly appreciated getting a response because I really had no idea what I was doing at that point.
    Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
    Dr. Albert Schweitzer

  22. #22
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Joyce

    Quote Originally Posted by joyce View Post
    Last year before I really knew anything about the publishing industry. I sent my first manuscript to her. I was rejected in the long run, but she was very nice. Me being a stupid first time author, emailed her with all sorts of stupid questions and I have to say she responded quickly with each and every one. She was the first to say my work may be too controversial, but that was echoed by other agents who read it, so I figured she was right on. She also told me to send any further work to her and she'd be happy to read it. My experience was good. I truly appreciated getting a response because I really had no idea what I was doing at that point.

    Hahaha can't wait to see your next piece Joyce....


    Missy

  23. #23
    I'm really shy... joyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbrownassociates View Post
    Hahaha can't wait to see your next piece Joyce....


    Missy
    Well, my first one still makes me laugh. There's something about it I still love though. I guess it's my first baby. This next one is more mainstream and not controversial at all. I figured I better tone it down so I just might have a chance to get published.
    Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
    Dr. Albert Schweitzer

  24. #24
    Megalops Erectus Silver King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Florida (West Central)
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbrownassociates View Post
    ...I will try my best to remember a comma, period, or semicolon but it can't always be promised...
    Your style of posting is entirely up to you, of course. It just made me nervous when I had a hard time following your first few comments, and I wondered if that's the way you write all the time.

    On a forum such as this one, communicating effectively is vital in getting your point across. I can't imagine how becoming "lax" with basic writing mechanics would help to make yourself better understood.

    At any rate, to each his own, I suppose.

  25. #25
    figuring it all out mlbrownassociates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    56

    Words & Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    Your style of posting is entirely up to you, of course. It just made me nervous when I had a hard time following your first few comments, and I wondered if that's the way you write all the time.

    On a forum such as this one, communicating effectively is vital in getting your point across. I can't imagine how becoming "lax" with basic writing mechanics would help to make yourself better understood.

    At any rate, to each his own, I suppose.

    Silver I comprehend what you are saying and will make efficient progress at making sure that not only are my words clear but what I am saying is crystal clear.

    As you can see on the weekends I am out and about in cyberspace. This is my free time to catch up and see what's being said.

    I am thankful for your kind words.
    Keeping the Literary World on the Move.

    ML Brown & Associates LLC

    Misherald "Missy" Brown

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search