Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Agency] Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises

I can't find a thing in any thread about her - has anyone worked with her? Queried her? I wanted to shoot a query because I read an interview where she seemed super nice, which is especially odd since she's in LA. (I'm joking, LA writers!)

Thanks for your insight.

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    She sent me a very nice personalized rejection. I know that she is Barbara DeMarco Barrett's agent for her non-fiction book Pen on Fire. Barbara hosts a radio show that is also podcast called "Writers on Writing". I'm positive she's legit - but that's all the details I have.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Doesn't appear to have a website, but here's her Publishers Marketplace page.

P&E has this:

Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises: $ A literary agency. (Betsy Amster: Literary, Adult)

That's all I could find.

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

High and Dry

Betsy Amster

I queried her for a mystery series I'm shopping around because I read in PM she likes quirky, offbeat characters. She requested 50 pages from me and was kind enough to send them back with line edits and lots of comments! Long story short, she's interested but only after some major revisions.

Good luck! She's at the top of my wish list when it comes to agents.

EM

Interview and picture of Betsy Amster here. Ten years as an editor, no wonder Elaine she edited your submission. Poor gal just can't help herself.

Equeried, quick ask for emailed partial, five day rejection on my partial with a nice note. I had the feeling that only the ass't had seen my partial - which isn't too surprising. From her comments I got the feeling they are looking for commercial lit.

I received a nice personalized rejection email from her yesterday.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Novel Idea View Post
    Equeried, quick ask for emailed partial, five day rejection on my partial with a nice note. I had the feeling that only the ass't had seen my partial - which isn't too surprising. From her comments I got the feeling they are looking for commercial lit.
    I've met Betsy Amster a number of times, and also attended talks she has given. She's a good agent, but very picky.

I'm surprised you got the impression she's looking for commercial lit, as she is best known for agenting lit fic. In fact, she's fond of telling audiences, "If your book can be described as a page-turner, I'm probably not the right agent for it."

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

High and Dry

Talking Yikes!

I read the article...makes me wonder what she sees in me. Oh well.

Elaine,
    who's now convinced she's out of my league.

David - I didn't mean that as any dis to Betsey Amster. I have a lot of respect for her. For one thing, the note was from her ass't, not her - as I said, I don't believe it ever got to her - and it contained suggestions for making the book more of a "thriller." That's why I got that impression. But it totally doesn't matter, I'm not trippin' on it. I'm just reporting back.

fast reply to e-query

Not sure that this helps, but I queried the agency on 11/2 got a quick polite reject on 11/5...

Quote Originally Posted by Novel Idea View Post
    David - I didn't mean that as any dis to Betsey Amster. I have a lot of respect for her. For one thing, the note was from her ass't, not her - as I said, I don't believe it ever got to her - and it contained suggestions for making the book more of a "thriller." That's why I got that impression. But it totally doesn't matter, I'm not trippin' on it. I'm just reporting back.
    Sorry--I didn't think you were dissing her!

But it just surprised me that her agency would be pushing for something more commercial (especially a thriller!) Maybe things are changing with her; or maybe her assistant is starting her own list?

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine Margarett View Post
    I read the article...makes me wonder what she sees in me. Oh well.

Elaine,
    who's now convinced she's out of my league.
    She isn't out of your league. She isn't right for your book.

You wouldn't expect a Japanese cook to make spaghetti for an Italian restaurant. Likewise, don't expect an agent who specializes in fantasy to handle true crime.

You know what my favorite agent listings are? The ones that say things like they're looking for "military thrillers/espionage, scifi, horror, dark fantasy, and literary fiction."
    Huh?

Isn't one of those things not like the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Khazarkhum View Post
    She isn't out of your league. She isn't right for your book.
    Indeed.

And an agent who isn't right for your book is worse than no agent at all. It might not seem like that when you are unagented, but it is all too true.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin hawk's Avatar
    Hasn't been any action on this thread in some time...anyone have any new info on Betsey Amster? ~ hawk

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin hawk's Avatar
    Got a polite "Thanks" but "Alas, it isn't right for us." Poetic and quick - queried 4.6.09 and responded 4.8.09. ~ hawk

I queried her late last night, got a R tonight via email. No explanation, just a note saying it wasn't for them. At least she responded.

author, psychologist, speaker

I'll be signing with Betsy Amster!

I just got off the phone with Betsy Amster. She'll be representing the parenting book (nonfiction) I'm co-authoring! She seems very nice, smart, sensible, and approachable. Her revision suggestions on the proposal were very helpful. The editors of my two previous books (one at a major publishing house, one at a small one) both speak very highly of her.

I'm so excited!

I think so

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Hasn't been any action on this thread in some time...anyone have any new info on Betsey Amster? ~ hawk
    I sent 6 pp. of my edgy YA to Betsy Amster -- got 2 emails when I was
    on vacation (7-09) asking me to send 25 pp., etc. I did when I got
    home. A week later, her agent, Mary Cummings asked for the rest of
    the ms. Which I sent off yesterday. And hope she'll represent! : )
    BENVIC

figuring it all out
    Best of luck BENVIC!

Here's two more interviews by Betsy Amster:

http://www.asja.org/newspub/x0502b.php

http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/3-betsyamster.php

Author: Go Down Hard (2011) cbuck1's Avatar

Betsy Amster

I met her last night. She seems smart and tough, which I like in an agent. She also mentioned that she loves mysteries.

Betsy Amster Literary Agency

My young adult novel, SHELTER, was accepted by Mary Cummings who represents children's and YA's for the agency and has been sent to five or six publishers so far, one of which has expressed interest. Mary communicates well with me and I'm glad we hooked up. I'll be even "gladder" if she sells it! Meanwhile, I'm working on another book. Can't have all your eggs in one basket.
    Back to work! My blog (related to book, which is set in a domestic violence shelter) is SHELTER KIDS--http://bit.ly/ruralwriter.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Has a website now: http://amsterlit.com/site/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

anybody heard more news of this publisher. Mary is interested in seeing my full ms.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

I'm not sure if I'm misreading your question, but Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises is an agency, not a publisher. They aren't going to publish the book themselves but try to find publishers who will buy the rights to your book from you.

But, as to your question, no, I haven't heard anything new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast