• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Behler Publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

priceless1

Okay, with all the negative stuff we've been reading about lately, I had to share some really great news. I posted here because I felt it had everything to do with legitimacy and honesty. This comes from our marketing director, Diana Hignutt.

"Yes, folks, it's official. Behler Publications will be meeting with the editors of Publishers Weekly in NY on July 28, 2004 to introduce our company, discuss our titles, present our catalog, and deliver some review copies. We got between 30-40 minutes of their time. Please send me your positive energy and and enthusiasm at 10:30am est on the 28th! "

Diana Hignutt
Director of Marketing
Behler Publications
[email protected]

We're small, but growing, always keeping our eye on honesty, integrity and pride in our authors.

Many of you have been very supportive in the past with some of the things that happened to me personally, and I wanted to take the time to share some really happy news.

Best to all,

Last edited by a moderator:

Betty W01

Re: Some great news from a small publisher

Lynn, that's great news. Good luck!! :clover

vstrauss

Lynn, that's great--congratulations.

- Victoria

priceless1

And this today from our marketing director

I couldn't get the same day as my meeting with PW, but on Monday August 2 at 3:30pm, I'll be meeting with Sam Tannehaus, Book Review Editor at the NY Times, the single most prestigious newspaper in the world. It's just going to be another trip on the train up to NY. I don't think that's too expensive. Are you pleased?

Diana
_______

We feel very on top of the world right now. With all the roadblocks that others tried to throw in our faces, this just makes it all the sweeter. Wow. Honesty really does pay off.

emeraldcite

Re: And this today from our marketing director

Congrats! This is a great step, and hopefully only the first!

lastr

Re: And this today from our marketing director

Congratulations! After all the trials your group has gone through, this is very well deserved. I am just so pleased for you all.

:snoopy

Happy dance in your honor

Ed Williams 3

Lynn, I'm proud of you...

...and your success doesn't surprise me one bit. Go up there to the big city, hit home runs, and then let me know if you need someone to wax your car or tend the pool for you.

YER A WINNER! KNEW IT RIGHT FROM THE START!

RejectME

Congrats!!!

Hi Lynn,

Congrats on the news. That is wonderful for you and the literary world as a whole. Thanks for the hard work!

Best,

Jerry :party

priceless1

But wait, there's more

This just came from a phone call from our marketing director, Diana Hignutt:

"In a telephone meeting with B&N Small Press Dept. this morning, they agreed to order some copies of Charley Sunday's Texas Outfit! for a store stocking trial."

Now, we have no idea how many they are willing to order. We're betting 10 or 15. But it's national and they're willing to give us a chance to prove ourselves.

I've decided to float on air today.

aka eraser

Re: But wait, there's more

Congratulations Lynn, sounds like an important step on the road to recognition.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the inner workings of all aspects of a publishing company. My contacts have been with editorial, art/design and marketing so forgive me if my question sounds lame.

Does "proving yourself" have as much to do with how efficient your shipping is - invoicing - acceptance of returns et al as much as it does with the overall look and salability of the product? Or is the emphasis just on the book itself?

priceless1

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Does "proving yourself" have as much to do with how efficient your shipping is - invoicing - acceptance of returns et al as much as it does with the overall look and salability of the product? Or is the emphasis just on the book itself?<hr></blockquote>
Frank, proving ourselves has to do with our overall look, quality of the book (which B&N already has in their hands so they already see how good it looks), and saleability. We all know the competition for shelf space is huge, and for someone at the corporate level to give us the time of day speaks volumes.

We're already listed with Baker and Taylor and have just completed setting up a personal relationship with Ingram. Baker and Taylor ordered 50 copies of this title for their distribution centers and that is what eventually won this person at B&N over.

In this case, our shipping is moot because the books are already sitting in the distribution center. But on top of that, we make print runs so if a store orders directly from us, they'll get the books within days. And yes, at that point, our ability to fulfill and invoice in a timely matter counts big time.

In fact we had an order from an indie bookstore the other day on another title and were thrilled to know we could get the books to them within days because of our sizeable print run and warehousing.

I'm still going to continue floating.

aka eraser

Thanks for the info Lynn. Happy floating! :thumbs

LiamJackson

Lynn,

Congratulations on your recent successes. Just goes to show that nice folks don't always finish last.

priceless1

Publisher's Weekly Meeting a huge success

If you'll indulge me for a minute, I just have to share this news with the many of you who offered kind words and support during a particularly trying time. I just received a call from Diana Hignutt, our marketing director, as she was taking the train back from New York. It sounds as though her meeting with Publisher's Weekly couldn’t have gone better than if we had scripted it ourselves.

She met with all of the editors of PW for an hour. They loved our catalogue and were most impressed with its quality.

They were incredibly impressed with the press/media kits Diana puts together on all our authors, saying they were extraordinarily good.

They loved our covers and the quality of our books. Yes, Diana took a copy of every book we have printed to show to them.

They were most impressed with our strong collection of titles, which is a serious recognition of honor to each of our fine writers.

They were shocked that we'd only been around since January. But most importantly, PW told Diana that we were doing everything right to become the company we’ve envisioned all along. Wow.

I’m fairly certain that my feet will not touch terra firma today. Or maybe tomorrow.

Our NY Times meeting with Sam Tannehaus, Book Review Editor is next week, so we'll start putting out the great vibes for this, too.

FM St George

Re: Publisher's Weekly Meeting a huge success

{{{{{{{{{{{sending good vibes your way}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

now I feel obliged to go FINISH writing...

:D

you GO, GIRL!!!

MacAl Stone

:clap Congratulations! :snoopy

James D Macdonald

Congrats, Lynn -- a strong small press is the basis of bookselling.

maestrowork

Wonderful!

Now, I just need to put something in the mail for your guys... :)

Sher2

Some great news from a small publisher

:clap That is absolutely wonderful news! You're obviously doing all the right things. Kudos!

lindylou45

Not only is that great news for you, but it's wonderful news for your authors. It sounds like you are very aware of what needs to be done to make a success out of your new publishing firm. I couldn't be happier for your and your authors.

:jump :party

priceless1

Thank you, one and all

Whew, thanks everyone. After getting my hide flamed by someone who has an axe to grind over on another board, I need a breath of fresh air. And a drink!

writersblock

Registered
Reaction score
Behller Publications

Does anyone know anything, good or bad, about this publisher? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.