AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rees Literary Agency (formerly Helen Rees L. A.)

Savvy

Rees Literary Agency (formerly Helen Rees L. A.)

Does anyone know the current address for the Lazear Agency, or have they gone out of business? Their website, www.lazear.com, has no info. Their phone has been disconnected with no further info and the two addresses listed for them (800 Washington Ave. and 430 1st Ave. in Minneapolis) do not work.

Same with Helen Rees: 123 N. Washington and 308 Commonwealth do not work.

deniselevans

Helen Rees Literary Agency

The Helen Rees Agency is in Boston, not Minneapolis. Their phone number is 617-227-9014 and address is 123 N. Washington, Boston, MA, 02114-2113

Savvy

Yes, I meant Boston, thank you. Unfortunately 123 Washington came back "addressee unknown." Someone else emailed me with their updated address.

jreeswilliams

Re: Lazear Agency & Helen Rees

i found this address on them after my "washington street address" query came back.

Helen Rees Literary Agency
    376 North Street
    Boston MA 02113-2103

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Helen Rees Literary Agency still going strong (e.g., more than one six-figure deal this year). Contact info.
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 12-04-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Split threads; removed reference to another agency
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Has anyone dealt with Anne Collette?

I got a 1-day rejection from her recently.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Ah yes, she's pretty fast. E-queried her earlier today and got a e-jection from her just minutes ago.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Angkor's Avatar
    I queried Ann Collette on 5/29 and received the next day a request for my full manuscript in a nice, personal email.
    Last edited by Angkor; 06-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    1 day to reject.
    pain makes me feel alive.
    sigh/double-sigh.

Ann Collette

Queried last night, she requested one chapter this morning (Sunday!), got back to me a couple hours later saying it was well-written and interesting but not special enough to grab an editor's attention in this tough economy. So responsive, so thoughtful -- it's be great to have her as my agent.

I hate the whole "first five pages" thing -- but I'll give some thought about how to make mine unique and still tell the same story I'm telling. Right now I have no idea how to do that.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Non-Fiction Query for Rees

Just curious what the protocol is for non-fiction with the Rees Agency. They say they take e-mail queries, but do you send the whole proposal package electronically? Or simply query with a letter and hope they ask for more? The latter sounds more sensible, but I wanted to make sure!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MelMel's Avatar
    Ms. Collette said she wasn't sure our story was for her, but we should go ahead and send her a chapter anyway...then when she wrote back, she said it didn't "grab" her. The way she said it was a bit flippant, kinda made me glad she didn't want to rep us actually.

New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
    Wow, agents are replying to queries late tonight. Got a nice R from Ms. Collette. Said that frankly my query was appealing, but she's looking for something a bit darker as of now. Encouraged me to keep submitting. Very professional.
    blog / twitter

PLAN B- agented
    JUKEBOX HERO- 20K

Wielder of the Witchblade Rowan's Avatar
    One day turnaround for my query. I received a very nice/professional R from Ms. Collette advising that my MS didn't sound like her cup of tea --- too much of a fantasy element.

Good luck to all who've submitted to her!
    Last edited by Rowan; 11-15-2009 at 05:24 AM.
    "Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey." - Lord Byron

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelMel View Post
    Ms. Collette said she wasn't sure our story was for her, but we should go ahead and send her a chapter anyway...then when she wrote back, she said it didn't "grab" her. The way she said it was a bit flippant, kinda made me glad she didn't want to rep us actually.

Ann is my agent, and you are right that she definitely knows what she likes. Don't be offended, or churlish, because your book didn't grab her, it'll grab someone, don't worry. She certainly isn't "flippant," though she can come across quite businesslike. I feel very lucky to be represented by her.

I didn't feel her critique of my first chapter and subsequent rejection were at all flippant. I was, rather, very thankful that she'd taken the time to explain what she thought was lacking. Of the dozens of agents I've queried, she's the only one who took the time to give me some feedback. As far as I'm concerned, that makes her a class act.

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Just got a rejection from Ann Collette. Sent query and first three chapters at her request last Wednesday (Nov. 18) after meeting her at a writers conference. Her reply was prompt and professional, and included feedback. "No two ways about it, you can certainly write. But the character... just doesn't draw me into the story." Oh well.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

Me love books much
    Got an overnight reply from Ann Collette on my query. Doesn't know if it is right for her but asked for a chapter and promised to get back to me immediately. Very professional!

Me love books much
    Got a rejection from Ann on the 14th but she was very nice and offered encouragement, which is always welcome.

I got a rejection from her saying that my book was to Fantasy/YA for her tastes

practical experience, FTW Hittman's Avatar
    I sent Ann a query last night.

This morning she requested the first chapter.

This afternoon she sent a personalized rejection.

Damn, that was fast.
    When a Vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in.

Quick Hitts is the only blog that gets you Smartenized.

Author: Go Down Hard (2011) cbuck1's Avatar

Positive response

I queried Ann Collette yesterday afternoon and received the following dream response this a.m.:

"you totally grabbed me with the five pages you sent -- they couldn't be more my kind of prose! I'm insanely intrigued and want to see the whole novel."

I think I'm in love. Anyone have any further info on Ann or the agency?

Cheers,

CB

practical experience, FTW TerryRodgers's Avatar
    She is absolutely the nicest agent. I didn't pitch to her. I was just helping at the conference. During one of the breaks I was getting her water and had a short conversation with her. She asked why I wasn't pitching. I told her I was taking the opportunity to network. After the agentfest I went back and asked if I could get her anything else and she told me to sit down and tell her about my writing. That led to an hour long dinner and conversation. She then dragged me around the host party and introduced me to several people. It was truly a great time. She is a wonderful person.
    Best Regards,

Terry Rodgers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast