• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Xavier House Publishing

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an interesting twist being offered by a small publishing house - Xavier House Publishing (www.xavier-house.com). They are offering to do reviews of self-published books and have several posted on their website. No fee. What's the gimick?

They're also having a poetry contest with the promise of putting out an anthology - no entry fee, $100 prize, and no apparent restrictions on length or form. Interesting. Puma

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the website:

Why We Do This
We like to read good books. Since we are a unit of Xavier House
Publishing, a traditional independent publishing house, this is a good way to meet new authors, evaluate their talent, and possibly identify new
authors for future Xavier House Publishing projects.

So maybe they offer to publish your next book (for a fee)? Not sure.

There's this on Wikipedia (which appears to be incomplete). It says something about offering a book not written by the owner of the company that was supposed to be released this past summer, but it disappeared from the website (which I thought was odd).

They appear to be concentrated on non-fiction having to do with Kentucky (it is located in Bowling Green), although they now have non-fiction about Texas, Tennessee, and Chicago. Another one about Maine is due out next year, as is something called Rome Needed Carthage.

FWIW.

~Nancy

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Most reviewers don't charge a fee. Many accept ebook versions thus remove all costs associated with submitting. Some actually post reviews online that other people read and are influenced by in purchasing books. Yes, it is tricker to find those who will take POD or self-POD but they are out there.

The implication that reviews should ever be paid for seems very off base. Sure some people do and someone is always willing to take your money--but why would you? Generally readers are influenced by impartial, honest and informative reviews without any ulterior motive. i.e. reader-to-reader communication.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've just never seen anything like this from a publisher before so I thought it was a bit odd. Puma

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I probably shouldn't comment further but if you search the forum for 'xavier house' you will see the other thread on this matter ;)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Veinglory - I searched before I posted this thread and didn't get any hits. I just tried it again and still didn't. Did you mean in bewares? Puma

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That the thread is in the Announcements forum, BTW.

Just sayin', in case anyone wanted to know. :)

~Nancy