How long are middle grade novels in terms of general word count?

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
My question says it all, but I'll repeat it. :)

How long are middle grade novels in terms of general word count? I've read books where it says 30,000 to 40,000 words and then there is MG fiction that looks like it's 90,000 in the bookstore children's section. What's a safe number?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
This question came up a LOT at the conference I just attended. And every editor and agent said the same thing: "I never tell writers how long to make their story. Make the story as long as it needs to be. And not one single word longer." Several went on to qualify it: shorter is better, especially for first timers. So yeah, there are 90k novels out there. But most rookie manuscripts (I include myself here) could use some liposuction. No lie, I brought a chapter book. 3-page first chapter. They made me cut all but the last 5 paragraphs of those 3 pages. And of course they were right. It's like a roller coaster. Now it starts at the top of the hill, instead of on the long climb up.

So when an agent sees 90k in the query letter, they may wonder how much editing needs to be done. Unless the hook persuades them you need all those words to tell the story, or the sample chapter is so tight they believe you can keep the pacing going, they'll probably think twice about it.

And from the other side, a shorter book broadens your audience. A reluctant reader will run screaming from a 300-page book. Sure, there are kids who will dive right in, voracious readers looking for a thick tome to get lost in. So it depends on who you want to grab and hang onto. My sympathy kind of goes out to the kids who struggle, and my goal is to write for them, so that affects my choices.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm shooting for 45-50k on my current MG WIP. I'm also using dialog more to keep the pace up, something I feel is a requirement with MG.

Aramis

Custom User Title Not Found
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to THIS SITE, you can look up pre-existing books to see how many words they are.