• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

A Cappela Publishing / Advocate House / eLitAgent (Patrika Vaughn)

RicMarion

Hello Everyone,

Sometimes you stumble across something that is just too amazing not to share.

http://www.elitagent.com
Came across this agency listing on Brady Magazine - who sent me an unsolicited email to have a look at her ezine.

The concept is interesting. Pay $400 to have them 'evaluate' your manuscript, then, if accepted without resorting to a referred book doctor, pay another $1000 to have a web site built that will then be emailed to 100 publishers.

Okay, after that shiver subsides, go to the Publisher side of the web site and take a look at what is being offered.

The first book excerpt I pulled up would not make it past an eighth grade English teacher. I counted 14 errors in the first paragraph.

Victoria, any word on these folks? I couldn't find a thread anywhere with the search engine.

Ric

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Wow they'll do all that for $1400?

I don't think you need to find "word" on these folks. Your answer is right there.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Good Lord

Thanks for pointing that one out. Amazing. Unscrupulous people never cease to amaze me with how low they will go.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Patrika Vaughan has been around (and charging fees) in one form or another for as long as I've been collecting data on agents. As far as I know, she has never made a sale (and why should she, with the money her clients are paying her?

- Victoria

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
From their website:
In the old days, if an agent asked you for a reading fee or "processing fee," I'd have advised you to find another agent. Agents made their money by getting your work published and taking a percentage of the sales (usually in the region of 10-20%). That was back in the days when there were fewer than two dozen major publishing houses and publishing was a gentlemanly endeavor.

er....uh...back in the "OLD DAYS"???????
:roll:

RicMarion

Wow!

Join the Absolute Message Boards and get all kinds of feedback.

This is really quite wonderful.

And to hear from not one, but both, of the Grand Masters.

Jenna and Victoria

You folks have been watching out for us - seems the least we can do is help.

Ric

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't know whether to be more offended by the scam or the web design.

Wait, I do. Seriously, how the HELL could someone look at that and think "Today I did a good job..."

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
You're upset that its not serene blue I take it? :D

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Patricia has this on her front page:

Our first client's results:

Hello,

My name is Frederick Zappone. I'm the first author who found a publisher through the eLitAgent's electronic method and I'd like to tell you how that happened.

Like most writers, I hate dealing with query letters, submissions and, most of all, with rejections. So I was delighted to find a way to contact lots of publishers at one time, leaving it to those interested to get in touch with me. In just seven weeks, six publishers requested a copy of my manuscript. I selected the one I felt would have my best interests at heart and negotiated a contract with that publisher which pays me a 15% royalty.

In the process of seeking a publisher for my work, I contacted Patrika Vaughn, the Author's Advocate. With her background as a literary agent, a published author and ghostwriter, plus her experience as an editor and publisher, she was impressed with the possibilities of finding a publisher using 21st Century electronics. She asked if I would be interested in pioneering this method with her. I agreed, and you see the results. She is now making this method available to other talented emerging authors.

Sincerely,
Frederick Zappone

Unfortunately, I'm unable to discover exactly what Mr. Zappone has published.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One of the first hits on the name is http://frederickzappone.com/, with a glowing testimonial from "Patty"....

So, presuming that is the guy:

http://www.selfgrowth.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=471&page=17

htcommunications.org is defunct, but the Wayback Machine gives us:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030711184542/htcommunications.org/homepage.html

Specifically:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030122234531/htcommunications.org/master.html

(HT Communications, LLC is now here http://www.kennethharperfinton.com/, with no sign of the book in question.)

e.dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
"Representation, however, has also changed. There are now hundreds of small to mid-sized publishers out there, most of them catering to a single niche market. Agents have to work harder to find the best home for each work they represent. And they have to get up to speed, meaning they have to go electronic. This is where our ability to present your manuscript to as many as 100 publishers at a time comes in."

In other words, they have no contacts in the real-world of publishing, and if they do anything for you, it would be to send unsolicited submissions via spam-type mass mailing. You would do better to set this up this type of sham on your own, and save the fee.