• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Torquere Press

HConn

Keep it coming dot net has a site that lets writers sell their work in small, bi-weekly installments. The work covers a variety of genres and levels of quality.

I haven't used it (and I don't plan to) but I know someone who has. He earned a tiny bit of money from it, had a handful of readers, and was forced to turn out his work on a regular basis to satisfy his "contract."

He wasn't enthusiastic about it, but he admitted to enjoying it a bit.

Anyway, have a look.

veingloree

Re: A different kind of self-publishing

Those who write gay/lesbian fiction can join a similar program at Torquere Press called 'A turn of the screw'. torquerepress.com

Greenwolf103

I haven't heard good things about them, HConn. More like bad things, mainly on WritersWeekly.

Not trying to make anyone look bad, or anything. Just thought I'd mention that.

HConn

Even the guy who worked with them wasn't terribly impressed. But he used them to spur his productivity and earn some pocket change.

In truth, they don't look that great to me. But they don't seem to grab any of your rights and they're honest about what they can do (seemingly).

veingloree

They didn't sell my story at all. But it was a gay western, not a huge market.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
James D. Macdonald said:
torquerepress.com and keepitcoming.net seem to be -- what? Markets? Display sites with a tip jar? Dunno.
I'm not familiar with keepitcoming.com, but I do know that torquerepress.com sells titles besides having the "turn of the screw" thingie. I've bought a number of their titles through Fictionwise.com. (I'm pretty sure AW's Emily Veinglory has some stories available through torquerepress.)

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Hmm, this is an old thread but I'm going to try to revive it. Does anyone have any new info on this company? I'd like to know how professional and organized they are and if anyone has had a contract with them, I'd like to know how they feel about the terms.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, this is an old thread but I'm going to try to revive it. Does anyone have any new info on this company? I'd like to know how professional and organized they are and if anyone has had a contract with them, I'd like to know how they feel about the terms.

A fellow blogger of mine, Angie, has a contract with Torquere. (She's in the middle of some life issues, so I'd hold off on sending her any questions.)

However, she does have some posts on her blog as to the publishing process (has 5 posts, to be exact), so I hope she doesn't mind if I post a link to one in particular:

http://angiesdesk.blogspot.com/2007/09/edits.html#links

It has to do with the editing process at Torquere. You might want to further check her blog for more info; it's a really good blog (she also guest blogs at Romancing the Blog, BTW).

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

~Nancy

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
So…

SO, I'm dealing with Torquere press. They've been prompt, professional and pleasant to work with so far. The contract looked pretty good and Shawn was very open and honest when we negotiated the contract. So far, so good. More bulletins as events unfold. That is all.

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
I've just submitted something to Torquere, and it's actually the first thing I've submitted anywhere. (and finally de-lurking for this, too). How long do they take before they acknowledge a submission? I know they say 4 weeks for a decision, but I haven't gotten any response saying they got it, even an automated one.

UPDATE: I got two acknowledgements about 2 days after sub. One from the general sub dept and another from the editor himself saying it had been forwarded to him.

Last edited:

emlynley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emlynley.com
Another update.
On Oct 6 I got an acceptance email for the story I'd submitted on Sept 17. I'm waiting for the contract in the mail now, though I've talked with a couple of other people who've worked with them and said they've had nothing to complain about from their own experiences. So, I'm pretty excited!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As a general point I suggest forming an impression from more that happy authors that approach you. There are watchdog and industry sites listing all the publishers in this area. Piers Anthony and Preditors and Editors being a place to start--also my site ERECsite.com

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Emlynley, a belated congratulations! That's great!

I've been working with the folks at their YA imprint, Prizm. They've taken three of my books now, and so far I've got nothing to complain about.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I see no one has written anything about Torquere/ Prizm in a long time. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I'm really interested in one of their current open calls, but since I'm a total newbie I wouldn't want to be eaten alive T_T opinions?

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
I've got a few short stories with Torquere, and I've responded to a few of their anthology calls. It's how I started out, actually. Did you have any specific questions I could try to answer?

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for answering ccbridges! Congratulations on your many stories. I was just wondering who should I address my query to and if they're open to authors who live outside of US, if you have any idea about that. I'm especially worrying about that because I've never published anything and I'm thinking that coupled with me being a foreigner might be a drawback.
Also, in general, what's your opinion on them? Let's say in comparison to other publishers. Did you get along well? Is the contract fair? Did they make you revise a lot? Stuff like that. ( You don't have to answer all :p )

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
Thanks, Andra:) I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can.

I know there are a few international authors who write for Torquere, so I'd guess they don't have a problem with it:) The important thing is to present your best work. It doesn't matter your experience, or lack of it, as long as you polish your writing as much as you can.

If you're sending a query for a specific anthology, you might want to check if there is an editor attached. I've usually gone with a generic "good morning" as a greeting if I'm sending something to the generic submissions email. It hits all the bases:)

I'll sum up my general experience:) Yes, I was happy with them, but I knew going in they are a very small press. They are one of the few that publishes very short stories, which is why I subbed those to them. The contracts are usually short term for the "Sips" line - usually a year, and then the stories revert to me and I can do what I wish with them. The anthologies contract for a longer period of time.

I hope this helps!

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply, CC. You were very helpful :Hug2: Best of luck in the future!