Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Forum Member Craig Shaeffer said:
My horror novella ("Witching Hour Theatre") was accepted yesterday by Creative Guy Publishing. Since I mentioned it in another thread, I thought I'd let you know that it went from "pending" to "soon to be released." :)

Got anything out there? Soon to be released? Tell us all about it!

Congrats, Craig!

Craig Shaeffer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mac! I appreciate the congrats, and I think the thread idea is a great one. Judging from what I've read on this and other forums, there are a lot of talented scribes around these parts.

I've only got two other stories out there pending right now, and one of them is probably suffocating at the bottom of the slush pile at one of the "biggies."

The Big Bopper, though, is the novel I'm working on. Yeah, yeah, I know. I won't tell you how good it is, because it doesn't deserve to be called anything until the dang thing is done.

And I promise I won't annoy you guys by talking about it all the time in the coming months. Unfinished novels and a dollar will get you a medium order of fries at McDonald's.

Incidentally, I know that figure is accurate because I forgot my wallet today and had to buy my lunch with the spare change in my truck! :)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Craig - and good luck with the others.

Cheers,
aq

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Trophy: :Trophy: :Trophy: :Trophy: :Trophy: :Trophy: WAY TO GO......GREAT NEWS....I LOVE HORROR STORIES....

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I have a short story ("Just a Little, Just Enough") due out this fall in the upcoming anthology Masques V, edited by J. N. Williamson. The TOC includes Masterson, Gary Braunbeck and Ray Bradbury, so I'm happy to be among their number.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, scullars. Well done!

aq

Craig Shaeffer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Arrowqueen and Cactus Wendy.

And huuuge congrats to scullars. Jeeze, Louise. That's a great honor!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
That's awesome Scullars! You're in good company in the anthology, it sounds like. Congrats!

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thanks guys. It's just serendipity of a sort that I am in the anthology. It's more the benevolence of a good writer, Gary Braunbeck, whom I befriended about four years ago. In the past, he's acted as a sometime mentor, and about three years ago I showed him this story I'd just written. Gary liked it and recommended it for another anthology that was in the works at the time. Even though he personally knew the editor, I didn't hold out much hope until Gary emailed me and said that the editor might be interested, but wanted some re-writes. Within a three-hour period during that day, I made re-write after re-write via emails based on the editor's suggestions, with Gary serving as an go-between for me and the editor. And after all that work, the editor still turned me down. :(

Gary was upset, said he'd never encountered a situation where the editor actually worked with the writer with suggestions and still ended up rejecting the story. Then the editor had the nerve to send Gary (the editor thought he'd cc'd me, but hadn't, so Gary told me about the email) one of his short stories for comparison to show me my why my story wasn't measuring up. Gary, still upset, later emailed me and told me he had been asked to help edit another anthology and promised to keep me in mind. Again, I didn't hold out much hope, but then in 2003, Gary emailed to say that he was officially working with J. N. Williamson and had slated that my story be included in the TOC. When he told me who was included, I was stunned. Gary sent me a contract, and told me the book is scheduled to come out in late 2005.

Even though the money was nominal, I still feel it's a great coup, and one that will look good on my writing resume (which I have yet to build). And it also gives me a bit more confidence as a writer. :Trophy:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm a slacker!
frown.gif
I thought I had already posted to this thread.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! CRAIG

Witching Hour Theatre, That sounds intriguing. Let us know when it's out. I'd love to read it.

Joanne

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
................................congrats scullars..........................

:Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

Craig Shaeffer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, All, for the kind words!

Thank you for your congrats! The novella will be released very soon (within the month, I believe).

Meanwhile, here are a couple of links to some Witching Hour Theatre info. Click on the title (2nd ebook from the bottom) and then read the synopsis and the excerpt if you have a few moments.

http://www.creativeguypublishing.com/books.html

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
This is just a little brag, but the newest Haunted Encounters anthology arrived on my doorstep today with my spooky story in it...and I wasn't appalled by what I'd written for the very first time since I've had anything published. I think it's a milestone.

AND my husband (who reads little else but Tom Clancy and the drafts I force him to) read it and told me he could tell my writing was more polished now than when the book was printed.

Oh happy day!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Craig and Blue TX

Excellent news on both counts. Congrats!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Blue Texas, that's awesome! Funny how a couple of words from the spouse can mean so much, eh? :)

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
It is pretty cool that he actually pays attention...I hadn't thought about it that way. And it is surprising how that is a small victory in itself...thanks guys!

Craig Shaeffer

Registered
Reaction score
Coming very soon...

On a cool October night at the Starlight Cinema, an all-night horror movie triple feature is about to begin: Witching Hour Theatre. It's the one exciting thing in Larry Wilson's life, not counting the lovely brunette who works the concession stand. Settling in, he loses himself in the atmosphere of the old place: the crowd, the screams, the popcorn and the blood.

But when the second feature ends, only thirteen moviegoers remain. Among them, a woman of nineteen with a fondness for piercings and the macabre, a cop and his wife, a trio of bad-tempered bullies, and a solitary figure sitting silently in the shadows of the back row.

On this endless October night, Witching Hour Theatre will become Larry's worst nightmare. For the movie on the screen is growing stranger by the minute. His fellow theatergoers are disappearing one by one.

And the figure from the shadows is advancing.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on winning the contest and the launch of your new e-zine. I've checked the site (nice look) but haven't had time to review sub guidelines. I intend to do so in the very near future.

Congrats again.

LJ