• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dorrance / Whitmore / RoseDog Books / Red Lead Press / I-Proclaim

Kazuir

Anyone know anything about Whitmore Publishing Co.? Website says it's been around since 1961, but no listed in Preditors and Editors... thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlfulgham

Need to send galleys to . . . ?

I've complained about the publishers I've signed up with so that this may ound incredible. But I've signed up with a publisher who is actually sending galley proofs around to create some interest and maybe some blurbs -- or even a foreword. They didn't ask me for a list, either. But they have asked if "there are any individuals or organizations which you especially want us to send galleys". Someone on one of these forums said there were four places where reviews especially mattered. I think Publishers Weekly was one. Does anyone know these four "must" reviewers? Library journal, maybe? By the way, it is a heady experience to finally have one of my publishers sending out galleys! What a rush! I mean, after publishAmerica devoured my neck -- I'm shocked by what should be expected treatment from a publisher. I'm not to reveal the name of this publisher because I fear someone hear will delibrately rain on my parade again. But I swear, we're up to sending galleys and I've seen no crookedness yet. They use POD technology for the proofs to send out, then an offset for the first real edition. Could it be that I've found a legit publisher? :wha

ncq13

Re: Need to send galleys to . . . ?

Please send me the name of your publisher, so I can add them to my list!! Ezboard mail is fine.

James D Macdonald

Publishers Weekly
Library Journal
Booklist
Kirkus

<hr>

The publisher should already have those on their automatic-send list. Add any major regional/state newpapers for your location to the list.

Digital technology is a perfectly reasonable tech for advance reading copies/bound galleys. (That's how PA gets away with claiming that Random House prints more books "on demand" than they do.)

I look forward to hearing about your success.

rlfulgham

Thanks

Thanks for the list. I suspect the publisher has them all ready, as they only asked me for any special places I wanted galleys sent -- like "The Civil War Times" book reviewer. (The book is a massive story about the War for Southern Independence, as I prefer to call it.) Whether or not I get screwed again is yet to be seen. If not, I'll certainly reccomend them here. If they do try to get at my wallet -- here at this late date -- you can be positive I'll plaster their scam all over the internet. Right now, I'm holding my breath, afraid to say anything at all.

NomadPress

Aside from the book trade and book review editors of relevant papers (in your city, state, and region so you can be billed as a local author), you should compile a list of publications relevant to your book: in your case, your list should include any and all Civil War-specific publications, and American heritage glossies that have book review sections. Depending on the topic and research (I assume it's nonfiction?) you should send it to Smithsonian, Atlantic Monthly, Rain Taxi, New Yorker, NYTBR, etc.
If it's fiction, stick to subject-specific publications and local papers.

Writerjay6

Questions about Dorrance

Has anyone had any experience with Dorrance Press? Thanks

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Dorrance Publishing = Vanity Press

Dorrance is a vanity press. They will charge you more than 10,000 dollars for about 1000 copies of your book.

I've seen them charge as high as 19,000 for 1000 copies of a book.

They do no marketing or promotion. Your books will not be placed in bookstores.

Vanity publishing is not considered any sort of "real" publishing credit.

If you have more questions, may I suggest that you read the section on vanity publishing on Writer Beware?

www.writerbeware.com

-Ann C. Crispin
Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

STORMS OF DESTINY
HarperCollins/Eos
August 2005
www.accrispin.com

edfrzr

Registered
Reaction score
RoseDog.com

Hey guys. It's me again with yet another question about a site that has been recommended to me or that I have somehow miraculously discovered.

I am hoping that at some point in time I am able to reciprocate the great help and information that I have been given thus far.

Someone tell me about RoseDog.com. It is only $10/yr to subcribe (no big deal). But, will it be another kiss of death or just a pleasant killing of time?

thanks again.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Bad dog. Bad, bad. Now let go of the writer!

Need I say more?

Actually, I probably should. Edfrzr, if you haven't visited P&E yet, then you should do so. Many of the agencies and publishers you are asking about are already listed there with recommendations and warnings. There's no need to ask about each and every one in a separate topic. P&E is at http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
YADS

Yet Another Display Site.

A waste of time and money. In this case, it's owned by a major vanity press.

Do you want agents and editors to look at your works? Print 'em out, seal 'em in an envelope, address that envelope to the editor or agent, and carry it to the post office.

Real editors and agents have desks that are groaning with manuscripts that were addressed to them personally. They aren't going to go out surfing the internet looking for more slush.

The bottom-feeders, though ... the vanity presses, the fake agents, the book doctors, the scammers and the clueless ... they haunt the display sites and will write you flattering letters.

The only advantage of a display site is this: Since you haven't actually submitted anything anywhere, you won't actually get rejected anywhere. If never getting rejected is important to you, by all means, send 'em your money.

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Does Anyone Have Information On Whitmore Publishing?

:snoopy: I would like to know since I have tried to find out elsewhere on search engine if anyone has any information about Whitmore Publishing. They seem for now to only give an email address. However I have found very little other than perhaps a complaint that they bait and switch. So what gives? I made one mistake I do not want to make another.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Whitmore was once a commercial publisher, but was recently bought by Dorrance, an expensive vanity press. Although they claim to still have a "traditional" imprint, be careful that you don't get funneled into any of their pay-to-play services.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I searched for books by Whitmore in Amazon... nothing dated later than 1993. They DID seem to have some good titles. But I wonder if they're now dysfunct.

If they're now part of a vanity press, then it's not a good thing.

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You

:thankyou: I thought so and that is why I suspect I got a call from Dorrance. I like your picture of the dog it looks like my little guy Ringo. I think that I will keep checking with some of the places here in order to send in my series of short stories particular about dogs. And my second book that I am working on. I should have known about this site when I first started looking for a publisher. But I found you guys now and I will be a faithful reader.

Delirium Author

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dahcstudios.com
Looking for a new publisher

Does anyone know of any publisher that meets most or all of the following qualifications?

A) Is not Publish America. :Soapbox:
B) Does not charge a reader's fee
C) Does not require an agent. :Wha:
D) Actually gets your book in stores like the kind people shop in :Huh:
E) Does not have any PA-like dishonesty/shadiness in their business dealings.

Have any of you heard anything about Whitmore Publishing? I am trying them out at the moment for this book I just finished. Any news?

Chad
www.dahcstudios.com

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
well you need to say whether its a fiction or nonfiction book. and what genre/category it falls it. That would narrow down the publishers. You should get a copy of 2005 Writers Market

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Whitmore Publishing is owned by Dorrance, which is a major vanity press.

Go to a bookstore. Find books similar to yours. See who published them. Write to those publishers for their guidelines. Follow those guidelines to the letter.

While you're waiting to hear, write another, better, book.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
The following publishers, who specialize in fantasy/SF, meet your requirements, according to their websites:

Ace

Baen

Daw

Spectra

Tom Doherty (Tor)

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
I Have To Agree

:Spam: They will spam you with other offers of publishing at a lesser fee. Run don't walk from them and they do keep calling you once they get your number. Oh they send an impressive looking package for your book but I agree with the previous post avoid them. Someone said they sneak in under Whitmore Publishing and I am waiting to see what happens with an inquiry that I sent to Whitmore to find out if this is true.

hapsburg

Registered
Reaction score
"Whitmore Publishing is owned by Dorrance, which is a major vanity press."

Are you sure? I've looked at their website and haven't seen clues to that, nor in the submission guidlines they sent. They've pubbed Warren Adler and require the same type of cover with marketing info and credits that other houses do...

SeanDSchaffer

I'm actually planning on sending my next Fantasy manuscript to Tor; I've heard a lot of good things about them. I don't know if that'll help you out or not but I think it's worth a shot.

By the way, I found this potential lead through the idea that James D. MacDonald spoke of above. Very effective method, I might say.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hapsburg said:
"Whitmore Publishing is owned by Dorrance, which is a major vanity press."

Are you sure? I've looked at their website and haven't seen clues to that, nor in the submission guidlines they sent. They've pubbed Warren Adler and require the same type of cover with marketing info and credits that other houses do...

Whitmore pubbed Warren Adler back in 1974. That Whitmore went out of business sometime in the early 1990s. The current Whitmore has no apparent connection with the previous publisher of the same name.

Here's the WHOIS data on their website (http://whitmorepublishing.com):

Registrant:
Whitmore Publishing (JZGHFDOXED)
926 Liberty Avenue
Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
US

Domain Name: WHITMOREPUBLISHING.COM

Administrative Contact:
Whitmore Publishing (38901929O) [email protected]
926 Liberty Avenue
Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
US
412-288-4543 fax: 412-434-8430

Technical Contact:
Hershey, Rosemary (32860711I) [email protected]
701 Smithfield Street
Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

US
412-288-4543

Record expires on 29-Oct-2009.
Record created on 29-Oct-2003.
Database last updated on 8-Mar-2005 16:11:19 EST.

Here's Dorrance's street address:

Dorrance Publishing Co., Inc.
701 Smithfield Street

3rd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222, U.S.A.

I'd call that a match.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
*grins*
I'm someone who knows better than to question Uncle Jim :)