Cremation and Clothing

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe it's been nearly two years since I posted a question here about getting hold of a dead body. Ah, time flies.

Same book, question about a completely different body:

When a person is cremated, are they cremated wearing clothes, or is the body sent through naked?

I've been looking up information on cremation and associated services, but the finer points about what happens to the body, of course, aren't often covered in mortuary marketing FAQs. There's ample discussion of selecting a casket for pre-cremation viewing, and obviously clothes would be required in that scenario. But I'm wondering, if there's no wake, just a cremation and memorial service later, would the family still pick out clothes for the deceased? It seems to me that they would, but I've never been in that position and just don't know what's normal.

Unfortunately, the one relative I have who could answer this for me is probably too close to the experience to discuss the matter. Any experiences in this area would be helpful.

I'd like my main character to pick out clothes for her deceased grandfather, but he's being cremated without a wake, so I don't want it to seem unrealistic.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question would be.....if I am fried with clothes on....do they filter out the buttons and zippers before they put me in the jar? Hey, inquirin minds want to know.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In 99% of cases, the clothes will be on.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
What can I say...I'm a knitter. I trust you got my rep comment.

Well I know where to go then for more answers if I have questions. This was the big one because I've been involved in making preparations for wakes, funerals, and burials. But all of those involved open caskets and clear cases where the deceased had to wear clothes. There've only been two cremations in my family, and I didn't handle either one. I can't ask the person who did.

Thanks!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well...if you have any other questions...please feel free to contact me PM...I can answer most of them through her, I am sure.

Deleted member 42

In my father's case, my mother was asked about her preferences.

His pacemaker was removed.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question would be.....if I am fried with clothes on....do they filter out the buttons and zippers before they put me in the jar? Hey, inquirin minds want to know.

Here's an excerpt from CA Health and Safety Code, which came up in my old post about the handling of bodies post-mortem:

7010.3. "Processing" means the removal of foreign objects, pursuant
to Section 7051, and the reduction of the particle size of cremated
remains by mechanical means including, but not limited to, grinding,
crushing, and pulverizing to a consistency appropriate for
disposition.

Whether "processing" is a preferred practice, required, or optional may depend on where you live.

More CA H&SC Here, but not a specific answer.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Well...if you have any other questions...please feel free to contact me PM...I can answer most of them through her, I am sure.

Thank you.

And thank you all. I just started writing this chapter assuming that my MC would be picking out clothes for her grandfather. And then it dawned on me that maybe that wasn't even done for cremation. It just seemed so natural that the deceased would require clothing, no matter what the plans were.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall being asked when my father was cremated. But we had made it clear that we wanted it simple and straightforward, so he may have been cremated in his hospital gown. At the time things were pretty much a blur. I assume that if I had asked, or it had seemed important to me, they would have accommodated the request.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were asked about jewelry we wished to keep and whether there was a pacemaker or other medical appliance or device, but not about the clothing. Three cremations in two states.

I suspect that the dignity aspect of the mortuary business might be badly harmed if clothing were routinely removed before cremation (or burial). Besides, depending on how long after death the cremation is done, the clothing might well have stains or odors associated with the corpse which make it unsuitable for use or donation.

Maryn, who dated a mortuary employee eons ago

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that the dignity aspect of the mortuary business might be badly harmed if clothing were routinely removed before cremation (or burial).

That was my thought, as well. Thanks.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
cremation

When a person is cremated the bones remain whole afterward. Jewelry and watches are removed and returned to the family. Any large metal item is removed--fillings, missed jewelry, zippers, medical implants such as hips joints, then the bones are crushed. Smaller items are sieved out before the cremains are given to the family. Pacemakers are removed prior to cremation so that they won't explode.

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
Five years ago, in Colorado, my MIL was cremated and the home told us no clothes, but she was wrapped in a sheet like garment. They weren't allowed to burn clothes (chemicals burning and all) but assured us she would not be naked. They also removed all jewelry.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
I think the issue is respect for the dead more than anything, so unless the person was a nudist, it would be clothes on, unless prohibited by law.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Let me also say that the remains are heavy afterwards. My dad was cremated, and his ashes weighed a good 20 pounds.