The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Andrew Mann Literary Agency / Andrew Mann Ltd.

joanm_davis

Andrew Mann Literary Agency / Andrew Mann Ltd.

I wish to know more about Andrew Mann Literary Agency

Absolutely Fazed

Re: worried (original thread title)

From a small Google search, it looks like he's a member of the Association of Authors' Agents and that his agency was founded in 1975. Perhaps if you expounded on what is making you worried, we could help you out.
    Last edited by DeadlyAccurate; 11-21-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Corrected founding date based on company's own information.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    What Deadly said - what are you looking for?

List of children's authors include Gina Douthwaite, Joe Hackett, Judith Heneghan, Shirley Isherwood, Kate Lennard, Jude Wisdom, Sarah Mussi. (Obtained from this website.)

Andrew Mann website is here.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Solidly respectable.
    What else do you need to know?

Andrew Mann

Not sure if you're still interested in the agency. They represented my first novel (didn't get published but not for lack of effort on their part). They're above board, honestly, with cram-packed offices (as you'd imagine them to be - boxes, papers, books - everywhere!) just off the Tottenham Court Road where I met with Anne Dewe, who represented me (she's lovely!) If they're interested in you, they'll offer excellent critique and feedback (I'll warn you, though - it's not spoon fed you have to take their points and work on it yourself.) I rewrote three times before they agreed to take the project on and, though I'm not contractually signed with them because we didn't score a deal, she's happy to look at any other projects if I want to go with them again and if it fits their list.

I'm not sure how many clients they're taking at the moment (if any) - they're not huge in size and, from what I picked up there - I think they are all women!

Hope that helps.

In the Yellow Woods
    I know the agents personally, had lunch with them on a few occasions over the years, and nicer, more genuine, straight up front individuals you couldn't hope to meet.

In other words - totally genuine. And work their socks off.
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

I'm looking at submitting to them this week. Nice to know they sound OK. Even if the OP couldn't be bothered to come back and thank people for their info.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hey, sorry for bringing back an older thread. Just wondering if anyone had any submissions with this agency at the moment? I got an e-mail from them today, which says pretty much

'We are receiving a high volume of proposals and
    each is read personally by us. Don't be alarmed when you do not hear back
    immediately - it is currently taking eight weeks or longer to respond.
    Please note that we represent a small and focused commercial list and of the
    many submissions received, there is only room for a handful new writers.
    If your mss isn't right for us, please understand this is more a reflection
    of our very full list.'

Pretty standard stuff, I think. Is this the kind of thing sent out to all the queries they haven't got round to yet?

In the Yellow Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    I'm looking at submitting to them this week. Nice to know they sound OK. Even if the OP couldn't be bothered to come back and thank people for their info.
    They're brand new. Totally above board.

I've known Anne and Tina for about 12 years now, and they're very nice people too.
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Good to know they're nice, at least!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hmm. Last sale on PM is from '09, and the client lists are down from the site. Twitter's still active, though. Anyone have recent contact with them?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Project Deadlight's Avatar
    Latest after 6 month wait: I am sorry to keep you waiting. We do have a back log of reading and can’t reply quickly enough. I’m sorry to disappoint. In light of the competitive commercial market and publisher’s full lists, we select very few new proposals. I do hope you find the right home for your work and wish you the very best of luck.

I find Rs like this pretty rude, they don't even state you've been rejected. The stuff about "publisher's full lists" is just silly and stating the bleeding obvious. Not impressed.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: