• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Nine Speakers Inc. (Diane Nine)

HeyBooBoo

Registered
Reaction score
This was listed on Publishers Marketplace. Has anyone heard of them or Diane Nine? They don't have a website, and I can't find information on them anywhere.

Thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Nine Speakers, Inc.
A Full Service Entertainment Agency
2501 Calvert St, NW
Washington, DC 20008
202 328-6861
[email protected]

====================

Diane Nine: President of Nine Speakers, Inc. in Washington, DC, Nine represents Helen Thomas, Maggie Kilgore, and others in the areas of literature, film, theater, and television. She is a graduate of George Washington University's Law School.

====================

Seems to be an agency.

Quill Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have more recent experience with this agent and know what type of work she represents?

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Her PM page is also pretty durn funny:

====================

BEST-KNOWN PROJECTS

Too many to mention.

====================

I guess you could have too many well-known projects to list. But how is it possible to have too many best-known projects?

AppleTree76

Registered
Reaction score
[Agent] Diane Nine/Nine Speakers Inc.

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone out there dealt with Lit Agent Diane Nine of Washington DC? I received a response from her after querying her agency and she did respond asking for a book proposal...I noticed in Publishers Marketplace she works with a lot of journalists and the like, not much fiction in there. Has anyone out there worked with her or do you work with her?

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Queried her today by e-mail fast response (less than hour)requesting my proposal. PM me as she also sent along an attachment for what she wants in her proposal it about gave me a heart attack as I thought may be she was going to say that she would charge me a fee or something not the case..

my mind is in the writer beware mode.lol

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say she started representing me in 07 and she sent my book out to many fine publishers promptly. We are all waiting. She seemed to totally understand my work. She seems completely straight up and for real with lots of experience. She doesn't have a website to avoid all kinds of traffic and over-the-transom stuff.

Now, whether that makes her a good agent depends on what you think of me (and what I think of myself). She could either be the stupidest person in the world for representing me or the brightest. There are days I can't say which...but today I think she's bright.

Let us know if she picks you up and how it goes. As soon as I get a bite, I will update here as well. (N.B. "as soon as" not "if")

minissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chaliceoflife.com
Diane Nine/Nine Speakers

I did just have a friend have a bad/strange experience in trying to sign up with her that set off a lot of red flags. He had been offered a contract and had written her an extremely diplomatic email trying to clarify some clauses that were, shall we say, non-standard (like that the client pay for all her travel and expenses on behalf of the book she was repping). She replied with a really odd email talking about the 75-person party she had just hosted and the "the brass" sorts of people who attended, my wasn't she tired, and well, she guessed he just wasn't interested in her representation. Which seemed really odd in light of him just wanting to clarify a couple of things. It just sounded like she was saying "My way or the highway." Things got somewhat adversarial from there...

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
Hey everyone..
Diane Nine may want to rep me.
Is there any up-to-date info about her?

Thanks.

Jim

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to say...nine stinks

Here's my thread on the whole saga. I'm an experienced published writer and I have checked with other experienced published writer friends and they all said, this is not professional and not good. I also have to say that I'm reluctant to go public like this. Yeah, this is how it goes in this world, and you live and learn, except, I'm really tired of learning already!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118945

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any more recent info about Diane Nine/Nine Speakers, Inc? I got the "I'm interested in discussing possible representation" email after I sent my submission packet. What I found a bit strange was that, besides the marketing and author bio things, I only included the first 3 chapters. Wouldn't she want to read the full manuscript before deciding on wanting to offer possible representation or not?

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's fiction which is why I thought wanting to discuss possible representation after only seeing a partial was a little strange. I asked if she wanted to read the full manuscript before we talk next week and she promptly replied and said she'd 'love to.' Will see what happens.

caseyrobert

Registered
Reaction score
Dealing with Diane Nine has been a wonderful experience for us.

So far we've published Chicken Noodle News by John Baker, an early VP of CNN. (A homrous history of the early days of CNN), pulitzer prize winner William Beechers book The Acorn Dossier, we're printing the second book in emmy award winning newsreporter Paula Tutman Deadline series, among others.

Diane does have a sence of humor and can be pretty casual in her communications. I find that a plus. She's been wonderfully supportive of us in this our early stages of growth.

As for manuscripts. You can imagine the number she recieves. Sometimes looking at a presentation is what you need to make a decesion. Is this somebody I want to work with. You phyically can't read eevery page of every submission. Trust me I've tried that. Once I've gone forward enough to see if the project is something I'm interested in, I do a phone interview. That 30 minutes tells me a lot. We have 3 projects several years away that we're actively working with the authors on the rewrites based on that interview.

I have enough confidence in her, if she says I should take a second look at a project, I do.

She really seems to get it.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've now heard (recently) from two writers who were steered by Diane Nine to Keith Publications (a thread is here), a small, not-very-professional press with a bad contract. Not a publisher that you'd expect a reputable agent to work with, nor the kind of publisher you'd hire an agent to market you to.

In one case Nine dropped the author after the author refused to sign with Keith. In the other, the author signed and now is experiencing problems and delays.

- Victoria