Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What do I do with my BOOKSHELVES then?

I really hate the idea of not having something to LOOK at. This whole electronic book thing just seems evil to me. I feel the same way about downloaded music. That's why I buy CDs, which are poor substitutes for albums, but at least you have something to look at and hold and read as you listen to the music.

That little ferret is priceless.

Awww, shucks.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
At first I was unsure about the Kindle but the more I hear about it, the more I think it sounds really cool. That whole ink technology thing that makes it looks like ink on paper, and not backlit. . . I'd like to see one in person. I don't see them replacing books for many reasons (not needed to debate here since they have been debated in full in other threads), but I'm not so anti it as I used to be (also helps that Alex for some reason is selling quite well on Kindle :))

[Kendra, you should so get an avatar yourself! Though they are a little too fun to play around with, especially when there are more important things to be done, you know, like work]

Kendra

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
[Kendra, you should so get an avatar yourself! Though they are a little too fun to play around with, especially when there are more important things to be done, you know, like work]

Good suggestion. Here it is. I'll look for a custom one later.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I like the idea of Kindle when it comes to travel (can bring more than one book!) and, if textbooks were available on there. I see kids hunched over with heavy backpacks all over the place . . . and handheld device like this would solve that problem. They've already implimented a laptop program here (in Maine), so maybe they'll start with e-text-books, too. :)

Kendra

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/2007/11/kindle-kindle-burning-bright.html

Good breakdown of what the Kindle needs to do to take a chunk of the market.

I think when the Kindle -- or its equivalent -- comes down in price to around fifty dollars, which is about the cost of one hard cover book, then many more people will invest in one. Word of mouth advertising has a lot to do with it as well. When you see your friend with one, and get to try it out and like it. Then you invest in one for yourself and maybe buy another one as a gift, and so on...

It is a super convenient device that allows you to read in comfort anywhere at anytime. No more angling for a reading lamp to shine on the printed page. Too close and the glare's uncomfortable. Too far away and you're squinting. I think there will always be traditional books. But more in the role of novelty items and gifts. For just as the Internet itself has all but destroyed the encyclopedia industry, devices such as the Kindle will have a similar effect on what is left standing today.

People will always opt for convenience and price. And when great heavy box loads of expensive books can be eliminated, they'll go with the flow.

Kendra

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I see kids hunched over with heavy backpacks all over the place . . .

Good point. I recall how uncomfortable that used to be. :) Lugging great satchels of books back and forth every day.

..and handheld device like this would solve that problem. They've already implimented a laptop program here (in Maine), so maybe they'll start with e-text-books, too. :)

It's only a matter of time, once the technology, which is now available, is also affordable. Computers have already taken over the classroom. The Kindle etc. will be the next natural step.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
It also needs to not look like something the science fiction TV shows of the late seventies left in their dumpsters after they got canned two episodes in.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The system isn't really necessary to buy if you know where to find mobi-books.

But it's still fun to read on the go.

Question about this system, can you increase your text size? Light up your screen? Or have a voice that can read to you? (Sorry, it's difficult to focus on what I'm reading, and it's difficult to visualize stuff.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I think when the Kindle -- or its equivalent -- comes down in price to around fifty dollars, which is about the cost of one hard cover book,

Where are you buying your hardcovers? I'm in Canada, where we get gouged on the price of books, although now that the canadian dollar is at par with the US a lot of places are charging the US price, and I pay 30 bucks for a hardcover. I thought they went for about 20 ish in the States.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I will never stop buying books. I will never do books on screens of any kind. I'm on the computer enough. I love holding a book in my hand. Paper. The smell. The parting the pages. Everything about the experience. I will never ever buy any type of reader.

I'm in Canada too. A lot of the big stores are offering 25% off on a lot of hardcovers. Sadly, not all hardcovers. I've had that discussion. It's usually only the top sellers at Chapters that get that sticker. At WalMart they are still selling at the US price in the cover.

I don't care what they cost, I will always buy whatever book I want to read. I'm a book junky. I love them aesthetically.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I will never stop buying books. I will never do books on screens of any kind. I'm on the computer enough. I love holding a book in my hand. Paper. The smell. The parting the pages. Everything about the experience. I will never ever buy any type of reader.

I feel the same way, a bit. Well, try not to hurt you fingers holding your book! ^_^

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yeah the rep thing came as a huge surprise to me when I first discovered it, and now I am slightly obsessed checking it!

If one person is really giving you a hard time, you may want to PM a moderator or Mac.

Kendra

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What do I do with my BOOKSHELVES then?

I threw out tons of books a couple of years ago. Dust collectors, I was tired looking at them. I kept about a hundred, the ones with really nice covers and I display them along with ornaments. Looks lighter. Feels better. I also got rid of a couple of bookcases at the same time.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I have been reading all the reviews on the Kindle....and I'm sure that I will buy one next year probably.......when the price comes down a bit more.........however, I will still be buying books............

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, in more ways than one. :D When I went in to User CP to choose an avatar, I also came across another feature -- rep points! One poster, and I have to say she's well-named :) not only fired a dozen negative remarks my way just yesterday, on the Lachesis thread. But I see several more from her, dating back to the NEPAT thread from last year. This can't be normal, surely? Golly, I'm glad she doesn't know where I live!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/usercp.php

Let's keep the conversation on the topic at hand. Everyone: If you don't like how someone is repping you, either contact a mod, contact the person directly, or ignore it.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I got a Kindle, and I really like it. I've already got 10 books on it, and I plan to read more. It's great to carry in the car, into restaurants at lunch, or at work. The instant delivery is nice, too.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
At first I was unsure about the Kindle but the more I hear about it, the more I think it sounds really cool. That whole ink technology thing that makes it looks like ink on paper, and not backlit. . . I'd like to see one in person. I don't see them replacing books for many reasons (not needed to debate here since they have been debated in full in other threads), but I'm not so anti it as I used to be (also helps that Alex for some reason is selling quite well on Kindle :))

e-Ink is really good, but the screen is rather small -- smaller than a mass market paperback, I think. I like how you can buy and download the books immediately (it comes with an over-the-air connectivity -- free! -- that allows you to do limited web surfing, online purchase, reading blogs, etc.) The thing I hate about the Kindle is the positions of the buttons -- right where one would "hold" the book. Who fricking designed that? The interface needs getting used to but it's not too bad, and the software is fine. But really, the buttons! ARGH! Don't tell me how I'm supposed to "hold" the damn thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.