Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

figuring it all out thefreshchuff's Avatar
    Ack, just got a form rejection from them not a day after I sent the query. That's too bad. :\

practical experience, FTW

Nelson & Megibow

[QUOTE=Renee Collins;4007924]*waves hand*

Also, I'm curious, which agent are you all querying? Sara Megibow still reads the queries for the entire agency, right? And they're both looking for similar genres. So, pretty much you have to pick one or the other.

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right.

Anyway, I went to Ms. Nelson's website and thoroughly reviewed all her sample query letters of people that she chose to represent before sending my query. The letter that seemed most similar to my project was addressed to both Ms. Nelson and Ms. Megibow, so that's what I did. I haven't heard back (it's only been one day) but now I'm worried that I should have just picked one person to query, but I was trying to follow as much of what she had on her website as possible. Any thoughts?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I addressed my query to both of them and got a partial request a couple months ago.

Thanks. That makes me feel much better. If I do get rejected, at least I'll know I earned it, and it wasn't just for a technical error.

Good luck on your partial.

Thanks for the partial luck, but it was rejected awhile back. I was actually very surprised they requested it. I only queried them because I like Kristin's blog, not because I really thought my novel seemed like anything they usually represent. And, alas, I was right! Good luck on your query.

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Sent query for YA romance on Wed. 6/30
    Received request for partial on Fri. 7/2

I addressed the letter to Ms. Megibow. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (probably on the blog) that Sara reads all the queries, and they both read the manuscripts before offering representation.

Lydia Sharp
    YA author represented by Laura Bradford
    editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

All around miscreant artemis31386's Avatar
    Sent Urban Fantasy Query to Sara Megibow on 7/1
    Received a request for a partial on 7/2
    Fingers crossed for good news. Maybe I'll go and perform some offerings to various gods and what not.
    Ashley
    Website
    Twitter

The Witching Hour- Buy it Now
    Requiem: Buy it now

Nightingale available now wherever ebooks are sold

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    Good luck Lydia!
    Good luck Artemis!
    You can check out my blog. Addicted to Heroines.

or follow me on twitter.

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Got the big R from Sara Megibow today, but I was highly impressed with her response.

First, for being so quick. I sent the partial on 7/3, she got back to me in 10 days. Wow. Some agents don't even respond to queries that fast. (And speaking of which, she'd responded to the query in less than 2 days. She obviously means business.)

Second, she said she was close to requesting a full and so went on to explain why she didn't, and brought up some very good points. Personalized feedback on a partial is never expected but always embraced. I have nothing but good things to say about her and that agency.

Lydia Sharp
    YA author represented by Laura Bradford
    editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I sent a query late last week, got a partial request yesterday. I addressed the letter to both Kristin and Sara

I find that most agents are very cool with the first names, especially those that represent YA. Also those that are younger seem to be better with the less formal greeting. I don't mean to sound ageist, or genre-ist, just an observation. I think I've addressed all my recent queries to agents with first names. So far, so good.

Editors, on the other hand, I use the formal greeting
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

practical experience, FTW Dreamer76's Avatar
    On 7/26, my writing partner and I queried Kristin with a contemporary YA. I wish I'd known she was out of town all week for the RWA conference in FL. I'm thinking there are going to be so many queries waiting for her, that unless a query is amazing, she's going to be handing out a lot of R's. Anyone else query this week?
    Supermom! Able to work full-time, cook, clean, do laundry, write, and still raise 3 rambunctious little boys!

(my friends just call me Julie)

Request for Partial!

Hi!

I queried Kristin on July 26 for my YA novel and got a request for a partial on August 13. Fingers crossed!

Leanne

practical experience, FTW Dreamer76's Avatar
    Yes, I got a request for a partial on the 13th as well. Looks like they're catching up from the RWA conference.
    Supermom! Able to work full-time, cook, clean, do laundry, write, and still raise 3 rambunctious little boys!

(my friends just call me Julie)

Time Lord Victorious PhoebeNorth's Avatar
    I got a partial request on the 16th (queried on the 9th), so I'm waiting with Princesstilly and Dreamer76. Good luck, guys!
    STARGLASS
    an epic tale of rebellion set on a generation ship
    coming in 2013 from Simon & Schuster BFYR
    "Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
    And those ladies, they rolled their eyes"
    www.phoebenorth.com
    www.intergalactic-academy.net

Unhappy Darn

Sigh. I got my rejection notice today from the Nelson Agency. The old "it's not right for us but don't give up hope because someone else might like it" routine.

Time to get back in the saddle.

Leanne

Crazy Conspiracy Lady Hoovlette's Avatar
    Current Query Stats: (just in case someone's lookin' for 'em!)

eQuery: 10/9/10
    eReject: 10/11/2010

Two days is definitely not bad for response time. Now, I've just got to get through six more query responses.
    The Ultimate Oxymoron: Understandable Statistics

Seriously?!? What's "understandable" about STATISTICS??!?!?!?

WIP:

New WIP -

Did anyone on this thread attend her recent webinar on pitching sf&f? I heard some great reviews of her process. But I was a little doubtful because the agency itself is more known for urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and she was showing folks how to pitch epic fantasy. Has Kristin sold any epic fantasies in the last few years?

I might either buy the notes when and if they come out on WD. Or I'll attend another webinar if Kristin organizes one, if I hear enough good and useful things about this one.

Filigree

I attended. It was awesome. Kristen didn't focused on all subgenres and didn't seem to show any favoritism. As promised, she did a query critique, which was invaluable!

Ubi dubium ibi libertas OneWriter's Avatar
    She has it split in installments in her blog archives, 2008 I think--not sure though, you'd have to look it up. I met her last month in Denver and the room was packed. She has you write your own pitch and then reads a few aloud. To mysteries and thrillers she'd say "This is not for me," but she does take fantasy and speculative fiction. I heard the webinar is pretty much the same thing.

On a coffee fueled writing spree! CScottMorris's Avatar
    Queried Sara 10/12, form rejection 10/14. Nice turnaround, but still sad at the rejection.
    It is nice to see they do have a quick turnaround, which likely means my query and sample pages are not THAT bad...
    My rather amateurish blog about Fantasy Lit, Steampunk, and the struggles of an aspiring author: CScottMorrisBooks.com Yeah, we don't have enough 'aspiring writer' blogs already, I have to add to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Did anyone on this thread attend her recent webinar on pitching sf&f? I heard some great reviews of her process. But I was a little doubtful because the agency itself is more known for urban fantasy and paranormal romance, and she was showing folks how to pitch epic fantasy. Has Kristin sold any epic fantasies in the last few years?

I might either buy the notes when and if they come out on WD. Or I'll attend another webinar if Kristin organizes one, if I hear enough good and useful things about this one.
    I attended the webinar and even posted about it right here on these forums as well as on my blog. I thought it was an effective and useful expenditure of time and money.

I sent off a query on my WIP to her for critique and rather than a crit, got a partial request. So I guess I picked something up from the webinar. I'm revising the book now and will send her the partial this weekend.

She mentioned in the webinar that she wanted to do more fantasy and sci-fi, but that many of the sf/f queries they were receiving weren't that good, hence the need for the webinar. I don't believe she's sold any epic fantasies yet, but someone's gotta be the first for her.
    Last edited by Ineti; 10-15-2010 at 08:27 AM.

I sent them a query yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

New kid, be gentle!
    Thought I'd post my timeline, for those who are interested:

Q: 10/18
    Partial request: 10/28
    Full request: 11/15
    R: 11/17

Pretty sad about this one, since I think they are a terrific agency. I've had 3 R's on fulls in the past few weeks, which are leaving me unsure if I should revise... the problem is that every agent says something different, which is making me think its just an issue of personal preference.

But it was a very polite, kind R, and it came fast. At least she didn't sit on it for 6 months!
    YA Sci-Fi/Romance- 78k- have agent, will travel...

Check out my shiny new blog here.

practical experience, FTW ether's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aekap View Post
    Thought I'd post my timeline, for those who are interested:

Q: 10/18
    Partial request: 10/28
    Full request: 11/15
    R: 11/17

Pretty sad about this one, since I think they are a terrific agency. I've had 3 R's on fulls in the past few weeks, which are leaving me unsure if I should revise... the problem is that every agent says something different, which is making me think its just an issue of personal preference.

But it was a very polite, kind R, and it came fast. At least she didn't sit on it for 6 months!
    Do you have any betas or friends who have read the work? Or maybe even here. You could share what feedback you were given on the appropriate forum and people might be able to make some sense of it for you. Sometimes different feedback can be the result of one underlying problem not always easily visible, if that makes sense.
    Kelley

[Website + Blog|

HUSHED (2011) | HOLLOWED (2012) | SUICIDE WATCH (2012) | MADE OF STARS (2013)

New kid, be gentle!
    Thanks! Yes, I've had a few people read it. They all disagreed with the agents, who all disagreed with each other!
    Last edited by aekap; 11-21-2010 at 05:44 AM.
    YA Sci-Fi/Romance- 78k- have agent, will travel...

Check out my shiny new blog here.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast