AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brick House Literary Agents (Sally Wofford-Girand)

Brick House Literary Agents (Sally Wofford-Girand)

at Brick House Literary. Anyone know anything?

Sorry if there's already a thread, but I couldn't find one...
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:
    BREAK--Simon Pulse, 2009 BUY IT

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
    GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
    TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
    --
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
    ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Hi Shady:

P&E has a $ next to her name.

Her Agent Query page is here. Probably not as specific as you're hoping for, but I've just queried her a moment ago so my personal experience will come somewhere between 30 minutes from now and never!

Good luck!
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Thanks!

I went on a query spree and didn't do too much research on the agents (made sure none of them were going to take my ms and run it to Tahiti for a party with PA, but beyond that...) and she requested a full. Just wondering if anyone's worked with her/has any information about her response times.
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:

--
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:

Highly legit. She had a full of mine when another agent offered reprsentation. Her assistant's name is Melissa Sarver, and I wonder if the is the same Melissa Sarver that prvbmeggy just signed with (not so unusual to have assistants working for more than one firm, I understand).
    Congratulations!

Awesome! Thanks!
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:

--
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:

Everything is what it seems. Will Lavender's Avatar
    Researched her a bit during my process. Found that she had sold an anthology in a pretty major deal. Not sure what else she's worked on.

She showed huge enthusiasm on my book, requested a full, asked for a two-week exclusive which I granted, eventually (after possibly a month) rejected the full with a few decent notes. Seemed perfectly legit.

Best of luck, Shady.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Just a note that www.brickhouselit.com redirects to her PM page.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Dealt with her a few years back. Was very impressed, but she can be slo-o-o-o-o-o-w.

This isn't a bad thing. She sat on a full ms of mine for a long time, trying to sort out whether or not she could really market it. It was outside her usual list. Indeed, since I summarize the book as being a "grim cyberpunk political romantic comedy," it's outside most people's lists. (Though a publisher is presently reading it...five years after I wrote it.)

Sorry, I digress. Sally is a very solid agent, and highly recommended by a number of folks in the biz. And when she is slow, I think it's because she's really examining the options.

In other words, I think she's excellent and honest.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkp View Post
    Highly legit. She had a full of mine when another agent offered reprsentation. Her assistant's name is Melissa Sarver, and I wonder if the is the same Melissa Sarver that prvbmeggy just signed with (not so unusual to have assistants working for more than one firm, I understand).
    Congratulations!
    It's her. Brick House and Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency, along with a few other agencies I believe, are in the same building or suite.
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

She got back to me on a query I sent out 3 months ago. She said she'd love to read my novel if I hadn't yet sold it elsewhere. But that's all she said, and she hasn't replied to my follow up as to whether she wants a partial or full, or if she wants an email attachment or hard copy. Which format did she request from those of you she worked with before? Thanks, Lisa

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetiredmama View Post
    She got back to me on a query I sent out 3 months ago. She said she'd love to read my novel if I hadn't yet sold it elsewhere. But that's all she said, and she hasn't replied to my follow up as to whether she wants a partial or full, or if she wants an email attachment or hard copy. Which format did she request from those of you she worked with before? Thanks, Lisa
    With no other information, I'd immediately send her the full as hard copy. It's a mistake to ask the agent to clarify, as you never know when they might get back to you.

In any case, to read your novel she needs the full, and the default submission method is hard copy.
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 02-17-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onetiredmama View Post
    She requested the full hard copy from me, based on the query+first 5 pages.

I'd go ahead and send it along to her.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Lisa

Ha, she didn't specify email/hard copy for me, either, so I just sent the email. I figure if she responds by email and doesn't clarify, that's what she expects.

Anyway, that was in November and I haven't heard back, so I could have been wrong...
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:

--
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar

Jenni Ferrari-Adler

Does anyone have specific info on Jenni Ferrari-Adler's sales? She's also an agent at Brick House Literary.

PM lists an editor named "Jofie Ferrari-Adler" who was with Thunder’s Mouth Press back in 2005. Now she's an editor with "Grove/Atlantic," but nothing to indicate that she's an agent.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...pany=&category=

You are correct in that "Jenni Ferrari-Adler" is an agent with Brick House Literary Agents, but PM lists no sales for her. Most of the Brick House sales are by Sally Wofford-Girand and a few are by Judy Heiblum.

Here's the Sally Wofford-Girand/Brick House PM page. http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...woffordgirand/

Hope this helps.

practical experience, FTW
    Just wondering if people are still waiting on her or if any of you have had any luck. It would be great to hear about recent experience. Thanks.

Here's a really good website with a lot of information about her. It lists a few six-figure sales by her.

http://www.freewebs.com/alabamaworle...%20Wofford.htm

I queried her a couple days ago and heard from her asking to see my full. I also pasted a few pages in my email query, but I always do that. I read somewhere an agent recommended doing that even if an agent doesn't ask you to--unless they specifically say don't do it, of course. lol My book is a lot darker than the usual urban fantasy, so I add pages to let an agent see that. More like Laurell K Hamilton for young adults (a cleaned up LKH, that is.. haha)
    http://www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com/
    http://courtney-allison.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/camoulton

Author of the ANGELFIRE series from HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books

ANGELFIRE (2.15.2011)
    WINGS OF THE WICKED (2.1.2011)
    Angelfire #3 (TBA 2013)

The writer around the corner Bourgeois Nerd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
    I also pasted a few pages in my email query, but I always do that. I read somewhere an agent recommended doing that even if an agent doesn't ask you to--unless they specifically say don't do it, of course. lol My book is a lot darker than the usual urban fantasy, so I add pages to let an agent see that.
    I think I'm going to start doing this. I also read an agent who said that she preferred to see more than a query because how else could you judge someone's writing by only the query. That's a lot like looking for a house and judging it solely by the exterior and not checking out the interior floor plan. Just plain ridiculous.

Anyhow, good for you for following your instincts instead of following the 'rules,' some of which don't make that much sense anyhow.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Anyone with recent experience with Jenni at this agency?

figuring it all out
    It says Sally Wofford-Girand takes YA queries on AQ, but has she repped any? I tried looking through the titles on PM, but none of them struck me as probably YA (and of course, frustratingly, PM doesn't list genres).

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hmm. FWIW, nothing of what's coming up on Google Books looks YA, either.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Nerd View Post
    I think I'm going to start doing this. I also read an agent who said that she preferred to see more than a query because how else could you judge someone's writing by only the query. That's a lot like looking for a house and judging it solely by the exterior and not checking out the interior floor plan. Just plain ridiculous.

Anyhow, good for you for following your instincts instead of following the 'rules,' some of which don't make that much sense anyhow.
    Exactly. What will the agent do, anyway, if they see five pages pasted underneath your query? Will it burn their eyes? Or will they reject you for not following every little rule? Either way, you don't want them representing you.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Turtle's_Daddy's Avatar
    Their PM listing includes "Juvenile fiction," yet neither Sally nor Jenni list it in their "specialties" or "areas of interest." I think I'll be "passing."

Me love books much
    I queried Sally on Dec 10th and included the first page at the bottom on my email. Got a request for 50 pages on the 12th of Jan. Not the speediest but certainly not the slowest!
    Last edited by djaffe; 01-13-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast