• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Elaine P. English

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
honored to be a part of any club with you krista! love the blog!

What a lovely thing to say, chancerychislett. I can assure you, though, the query-go-round makes me just as dizzy as the next gal. Good luck with your request (and thanks for checking out the blog)!

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the request, its a great sign. Continue querying, though, because she takes her time. I queried, 8/27/2007, got a request for a partial, 9/24/2007, then I got a rejection on June 3, 2008.
Prawn

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the request, its a great sign. Continue querying, though, because she takes her time. I queried, 8/27/2007, got a request for a partial, 9/24/2007, then I got a rejection on June 3, 2008.
Prawn

Good advice, Prawn. I'm taking a bit of a query break for the holidays, but I'll be back to my normal query-sending routine in January. In the meantime, I'm working on a revise-and-resubmit I picked up a couple of weeks ago on this same manuscript.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
form rejection on partial :/

Sorry about the rejection on your partial, chancerychislett:( I appreciate the post, though. It's nice to know where she's at in her reading queue.

Good luck with your other queries/requests.

ddegreeff

Registered
Reaction score
Naomi got me a quick email letting me know she hopes to get through my partial by the end of the year, so it seems that she's putting an effort on clearing through the requested materials pile. Good luck to anyone out there with work in her inbox.

Emualde

Registered
Reaction score
What was your timeframe from partial sent to rejection? Was it a form? Still waiting on mine.

Thanks for the info.

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it was a form. Took from August to December, though I think she was backed up.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Queried on 11/18 and received a partial request on 12/23. Surprised me because it had been awhile since my query, and so close to Christmas. ;)

write2live

the owner of that flying laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelavcook.blogspot.com
I originally emailed Elaine mid-September, and got a rejection shortly thereafter (didn't put the date I got rejected on my spreadsheet, just marked it off as 'rejected'). On October 29th, I ACCIDENTLY queried her again! I somehow must've overlooked her on my spreadsheet (this has NEVER happened before). Anyways, guess what was in my inbox yesterday? A request for a partial! The funny part is, the two queries weren't all that different. That is so strange to me . . . Who knows, maybe she was in a bad mood the first time she read it ;o) lol. Either way, I'm thankful for the second chance :eek:)

Last edited:

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
Write2Live: NICE! :)

I pitched Naomi Hackenberg at the Writer's Digest conference last weekend (1/22) and recieved a partial request. She asked for a synopsis too...lol I needa send it out today--my synopsis wasn't complete so I've been working on that this week between work and school!

Good luck to those of you with submissions out :)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Sad news, looks like Ms. Hackenberg's heading out of the business. She's had a partial of mine since Christmas Eve and I (along with several others on QT) got this response today:

Thank you for submitting your manuscript for consideration to our agency. I have decided to leave agenting, and the Elaine English Literary Agency will not be expanding its YA representation at this time. Therefore, we are no longer able to consider your manuscript.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's too bad! Guess that means I'll have one of those e-mails waiting in my inbox, too...

flyinghorses12

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Got mine. I've had a partial with her since September. It's kinda funny, 'cuz this is the SECOND time I've had material (the first time was a full) with an agent who then decided to leave the industry. Boooooooo.

Last edited:

angelfrancis

I got this!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Yep. Got mine. I've had a partial with her since September. It's kinda funny, 'cuz this is the SECOND time I've had material (the first time was a full) with an agent who then decided to leave the industry. Boooooooo.

Yeah, same here. I had a full back with Brendan Deneen before he left, like a year or so ago with my last book. They said everything would get passed on to another agent and you'd be contacted, but I never did.

I have a feeling, due to some rumors, that another agent I have a partial out with right now is going to be leaving too. We'll see how it plays out!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, per her home page:

After more than thirty years of practice, Elaine English has decided to begin the slide into retirement.

As of September 1, 2016, she is no longer taking on new clients.

She will continue to be available to her current authors and to assist current and past legal clients on publishing-related matters only.