• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Elaine P. English

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Received a polite rejection from Ms. Hackenberg on my requested partial today. Enjoyed the writing, not the story.

I snail-mailed Ms. Hackenberg the pages on December 1, so turnaround time was just over three months.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Waitng on Elaine?

Anybody out there still waiting on a partial from Elaine?

It's been 3 months and two weeks for me...I'm thinking about sending a nudge, but don't know how long it would take her to respond to that--anyone had email correspondence with her lately?

I'm guessing it's a pass from them, it's just nice to know who to mark off my list.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Elaine reminds me of an english school mum: strict, knowledgeable, and discipline. However, she's a very nice lady and someone who can act as both agent and attorney, methinks sometimes better as an attorney because she knows the laws of the business very well, but only reps specific genre.

readjdm

Registered
Reaction score
What would the rest of you do in this situation?

Elaine English requested a full manuscript from me on March 18, 2009. In July, I emailed her, and Naomi wrote me back, saying: "We have not completed the review process for your manuscript yet; however we are moving through the review as quickly as possible." I haven't heard from them since. It's now been a year since I sent off that full manuscript, and it certainly feels like it's time to say something. Part of me wants to. Part of me doesn't. I'm fighting with whether or not to do it.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
What would the rest of you do in this situation?

Elaine English requested a full manuscript from me on March 18, 2009. In July, I emailed her, and Naomi wrote me back, saying: "We have not completed the review process for your manuscript yet; however we are moving through the review as quickly as possible." I haven't heard from them since. It's now been a year since I sent off that full manuscript, and it certainly feels like it's time to say something. Part of me wants to. Part of me doesn't. I'm fighting with whether or not to do it.

Nudge again. If you don't hear back, cross her off and move along. I've had plenty of these.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
Sent a query to Ms. English and received an autoresponse saying that "As stated on the website, I am taking a 90 day hiatus from queries." Oops. I think I pulled her sub guidelines from the blog and not the website.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Yeah, Annarkie, I did the same fool thing - I pulled her guidelines off of AAR, and received the "hiatus" email. Yikes!!! It definitely reminded me to check an agency's web site, after looking them up on AAR or any other resource, regardless.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree! Great interview Krista. Naomi has my partial so fingers crossed that she absolutely adores it. :)

Thank you for the information!

DARK82

Registered
Reaction score
Elaine English

I was asked for a partial,it's reaching the third month mark.I just noticed,however,that on her website she says to include a cover letter....which I failed to do.In my excitement I just wanted to get it out! I also noticed on the site that she seems pretty intent on sending a response via snail mail.
To go completetly off topic for a minute...am I the only finding it difficult to show the voice of my book in a query letter?I have looked up every model,every blog about them. It just seems unfair that a book should be rejected solely based off of a short letter. I guess I am just frustrated.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
First of all, welcome, Dark!

They usually take about three months before they respond. As far as cover letters go, I wouldn't sweat it if your name is still in the top margin of the manuscript. If after three months have passed and you haven't heard, you could probably send an email for a status update on where your partial stands.

There's better places in the forum to talk about voice in query letters. You should probably try the Share Your Work thread and post your query up there. Writing a good query takes time and practice, and the idea is that if you can write a good book, you can write a good query :)

Princesstilly

Registered
Reaction score
Naomi requested a partial today

Hello; Naomi requested a partial from me today; I had queried her on June 28, so the reply was fast. I can't snail mail it today because it's a holiday here in Canada (Happy Birthday, Canada!) but I will send it off to her tomorrow. I know now to expect a three-month wait for a reply.

Fingers crossed!

Leanne in Ontario

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Queried: 6/21/10
Rejected: 7/1/10

Thank you for sharing your work with me. This is a great concept, but
I'm afraid that this is not quite right for us.

Still, I hope you will continue writing and sending out your work. If
you haven't done so already, you may wish to look at The Jeff Herman
Guide to Editors, Publishers, and Literary Agents - there, you should
be able to find someone who's a better fit for your work.

Best of luck with this and future projects.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a query in to Naomi. I will let you guys know if I hear anything :)

TrueBookie

Registered
Reaction score
Queried N.H. 7/27, request for partial 8/17 to be uploaded to their electronic submission database.

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I queried Ms. Hackenberg the 21st of June. I thought she always responded, even if it was a no? Wonder if my query fell through the cracks...